PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Colorant...........Any Good?

jrblawncare
03-01-2001, 12:15 PM
As I look at the back of the march 2001 Leonard catalog I see "Mulch Magic Colorant" Restore the fresh,colorful appearance of your mulch at the fraction of the cost of re-mulching....ect..ect..Has anyone used a mulch colorant?If so,what do you think of it.THANKS JOHN

kutnkru
03-01-2001, 03:07 PM
We buy ours thru Lesco and have had much success. we do our mulching for our clients the latter part of the summer when mowing is virtually non existent.

I have found that this has become an added service in the spring. If someone requests we can fluff and then apply this product to the existing mulch and it will look like the beds were freshly mulched.

The colorants will cost you approximately .09-.12/sf vs .30/sf for mulching.

http://www.nortechforest.com/products/mulch.html

Hope this and their site helps you out.
Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 03-01-2001 at 08:11 PM]

captdevo
03-01-2001, 03:10 PM
What do you charge to apply? How long will it last? Is it environmentally friendly?

kutnkru
03-01-2001, 03:14 PM
We charge at the same rates we would for manual labor.

I find that if we cover a bed from two different directions that this works best. Provides a more uniform coverage. We use a hand held sprayer for this service as well.

I have found that the product will usually last approximately 6 weeks for the heavier rates.

As far as environmentally friendly, its basically a paint just like the GreenLawnger for turf. So I would say yes, its okay.

Hope this helps.
Kris

jrblawncare
03-01-2001, 07:24 PM
Thanks Kris,It looks like I can get about 3200 sq.ft. of coverage out of a 1/2 gal.{4 oz per gal.of H20}will cover 200 to 400 sq.ft of bed.Sounds like easy money!!The part I don't like is it only lasts for 6 weeks? Any others use this STUFF?

Stonewall
12-31-2001, 05:33 PM
Just doing some research. Anybody use this in the last few months with an opinion on it?

Thanks.

bob
12-31-2001, 06:04 PM
I used the Lesco brand earlier in he year. I think it was $37 per quart. I had a very large area to cover and it took a long time. This was the first time that I ever tried mulch dye. It's just like spray painting. I filled some large rubber maid storage bins with water for my supply. My back was sore when I was finished!

Atlantic Lawn
01-01-2002, 07:58 AM
Some lco's don't like it because if it blows or if there is foot traffic it can look rough in a short period of time.I suppose it would work well if the colors are close.If you paint it bright red you could have some problems.

OBRYANMAINT
01-01-2002, 07:51 PM
i used some of the lesco stuff....yes lasted about 6 to 8 weeks......i used an hourly rate when i charged because i was new to it also ...i think if you used a lot of it yuo could figure a footage rate

i used a back back sprayer

mac43rn
01-01-2002, 09:39 PM
will this mulch paint stain concrete?

OBRYANMAINT
01-01-2002, 09:48 PM
yes it will , i was very careful around concrete curbs but still got some on it not noticable after a few months, but still stained none the less

tpirobert
01-01-2002, 10:03 PM
I have used this product ( mulch majic colorant ) with good results. I had a Outback Rest. manager call and say the big wig is coming and need mulch today. No way I could get mulch down that quickly with other committments. So, we sprayed it and they were happy. Came back a couple months later and put down fresh mulch. I would keep a spray bottle or bucket of clean water for any possible overspray on concrete OR plants. I don't see this used in my area, but further south it is popular. Try spraying a small out of the way corner for the customer (free of charge ) to let them see how it looks.

Stonewall
01-01-2002, 10:18 PM
So it will stain plants as well? The beds I'm looking at doing have a considerable amount of shrubs in them and a good portion of them back up to a house, sidewalk, or driveway. How much effort does it take to wash off the overspray with water?

OBRYANMAINT
01-02-2002, 06:29 AM
with a back back sprayer you can be pretty precise so it is not a big concern with overspray..yes it will stain plants too , but i never saw a problem............it's really just paint

tpirobert
01-02-2002, 09:25 AM
Didn't mean to imply staining is a problem, just something to be prepared for. As stated above a sprayer will put it where you need it ( not on a windy day ). A spounge works well on plant overspray as well. It IS paint, so you have to think like a painter when applying. For instance a piece of cardboard to block overspray against building. Gotta go, hope this helps.