PDA

View Full Version : In Between Mows again

Green-Pro
06-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey all, its been dry, dry,dry here, not much mowing but that gives me time to do some jobs that needed to be done. This one I started the lady needs done by July 9th. Edge beds & trees, mulch all with twice ground hardwood, trim some shrubs and ornamental miniature trees, plant some perennials, and weed.

Weeding I can't stand but this is not bad the weeds mostly come out with the edging, other than that maybe one five gallon bucket full of weeds, I can stand that.

Anyway hope you all are getting some rain and if you are please send some this way :waving:

Let me know what you think of the edges so far, this is only what i got done in about an hour today, couple more on new thread following this one.

-Geoff

TURF DOCTOR
06-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Dry here, 2 residential called today and said skip this week.

Lawn Sharks
06-21-2005, 11:01 PM
You do some nice work. Very professional. Are you just using a straight edge shovel?

I have a neighbor that has beds she has let the grass into and it is a nightmare. Centipede thicker than you can imagine. She wants it done and I can imagine sitting for hours trying to rip this stuff up. Ugh!

Green-Pro
06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Keth,

Thanks, I use an Echo PAS-260 with an edger attachment. So far all I've been asked to do is put a new edge on an existing bed. I follow the contour of the bed with the edger, then follow that with a spade to "pop" loose the grass/weeds or any material that does not belong. Most of our turf is KBG or annual Rye, the Rye can be a bit tough, the dry ground definitely does not help.

The new beds I've put in have stone borders, if not for the stone borders I would essentially use the same method on a new bed.

-Geoff

Lawn Sharks
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Good stuff. Came out looking real nice. I will have to figure out what to do about the beds I am going to deal with at some point. I don't think I can "pop" it out after using the edger. This Centipede is in a area that gets roof runoff and hence plenty of water so the roots are REAL deep and thick. If I use a spade to pull it out I think I will be pulling about 6 inches of soil as well. Might have to do that and bring in a yard or two of topsoil. Ugh.

Best of luck.

hesscapes
06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
very nice!!
Good Job :)
Still doing a rain dance!!

Green-Pro
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Rain dancing here also, thanks for the attaboy. I have a couple of residential properties that I haven't been on for nearly two weeks!! Somethings got to give, driest dang June we've had in a long time, heckuva year to start this as my full time occupation eh? :p

-Geoff

Mark McC
06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Good stuff. Came out looking real nice. I will have to figure out what to do about the beds I am going to deal with at some point. I don't think I can "pop" it out after using the edger. This Centipede is in a area that gets roof runoff and hence plenty of water so the roots are REAL deep and thick. If I use a spade to pull it out I think I will be pulling about 6 inches of soil as well. Might have to do that and bring in a yard or two of topsoil. Ugh.

Best of luck.

Why not rent a bed edger?

Green-Pro
06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I do enough bed edging to keep busy and make money at it, but maybe not enough to justify rental cost. That is to say I can do about 150' in about an hour with stick edger as far as renovating beds, now I am aware a bed edger would speed things up, but given my druthers I'd druther buy one and always have it then to rent. I figure as long as I can get by this way for this year, possibly next, I can look at purchasing one towards the end of next year. So far this year I've spent a good deal of money in start up in regards to equipment, and other business related fees, guess I just want to really focus on keeping solvent and doing well this year, so far so good :).

Do you own/rent one? if so what kind? Bed edger and perma-green ultra ride on are on my short list payup hope our year continues to get better.

-Geoff

Mark McC
06-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Geoff,

I haven't used one yet, rental or otherwise, but will do so shortly. If you want to PM me about it, I'll let you know how it worked, but do a search with "bed edger" and you should see plenty of feedback.