PDA

View Full Version : Steel Mower Deck

mcdansley
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I just purchased a Snapper WB with a steel deck (best mower I've ever owned). Thru normal use, paint is scrapped off from the underside of the deck. Should I paint the bare metal with Rustoleum to keep it from rusting? I currently clean the underside of the deck after every mowing and spray it with Pam.

vipermanz
06-23-2005, 12:56 AM
it wouldn't hurt to cover it up but the paint comes back off in a few weeks...

Restrorob
06-23-2005, 07:24 AM
I just purchased a Snapper WB with a steel deck (best mower I've ever owned). Thru normal use, paint is scrapped off from the underside of the deck. Should I paint the bare metal with Rustoleum to keep it from rusting? I currently clean the underside of the deck after every mowing and spray it with Pam.

Under any mower deck is like a sand blaster when in use,There is no way I know of how to keep paint on the underside. What little surface rust that may pop up between mowings is just sand blasted right back off. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

Bitter
06-23-2005, 10:55 AM
i wonder about automotive undercoat, its pretty tough stuff. or that aluminum fence paint, its very thin and wouldnt chip.

i need to clean the under-decks of mine 2 soon, i'll try undercoat on one of them just to see and let you guys know.

Restrorob
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
i wonder about automotive undercoat, its pretty tough stuff. or that aluminum fence paint, its very thin and wouldnt chip.

i need to clean the under-decks of mine 2 soon, i'll try undercoat on one of them just to see and let you guys know.

I've already tried auto undercoating,It just sand blasted off also. Don't know about this fence post paint you talk of.

topsites
06-23-2005, 11:55 PM
You paint the wb?

I mean ... If that 1/4 inch thick industrial paint Toro uses doesn't hold up, I don't know what will.

Only things I found out help:
1) Do NOT take the WB to those spray car-washes.
2) Be careful when mowing and also curb-jumping and around rocks and obstacles.
3) Get a bottle of touch-up paint and fix the little scratches, but yeah, it comes off soon.
4) Buy another, new machine, lol.

Bitter
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
the fence paint is just called aluminum paint. they spray it onto fences, propane tanks, and grain bins. it holds up for 20+ years in the weather.

its kind of expensive, but what about powdercoating?

Restrorob
06-24-2005, 06:26 PM
the fence paint is just called aluminum paint. they spray it onto fences, propane tanks, and grain bins. it holds up for 20+ years in the weather.

its kind of expensive, but what about powdercoating?

Maybe I'm missing something here !!!
Do you guys craw up under your cars or trucks and clean and wax the underside ?
I got it !!! Contact NASA I'm sure they have something that will withstand sand blasting. lol

riches139
06-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Paint or undercoat your deck, then flip your blades upside down.
Deck will never need painted again! ;)

Restrorob
06-24-2005, 08:46 PM
:laugh: Paint or undercoat your deck, then flip your blades upside down.
Deck will never need painted again! ;)

:laugh:

Bitter
06-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here !!!
Do you guys craw up under your cars or trucks and clean and wax the underside ?
I got it !!! Contact NASA I'm sure they have something that will withstand sand blasting. lol
:blush: i did undercoat the whole underside of my car with 2 layers last fall after i sanded off the rust and put on primer.

i know a guy who can powder coat for reasonable rates about 3 hours from me, but no i dont care that much about it. but someone who just dropped $4K on a really nice commercial mower might care about it.

Restrorob
06-25-2005, 07:50 AM
:blush: i did undercoat the whole underside of my car with 2 layers last fall after i sanded off the rust and put on primer.

i know a guy who can powder coat for reasonable rates about 3 hours from me, but no i dont care that much about it. but someone who just dropped $4K on a really nice commercial mower might care about it.

I know mowers are expensive, MY point was this is something thats been happening sence the first rotary mower was designed and there isn't much that can be done about it. As for the powder coat,It would last longer than regular paint but probably be gone in a month or less.

Bitter
06-25-2005, 08:13 AM
i dunno what to say other than stainless steel deck or getting a protective layer of grass and rust under there like my 2 mowers have right now

lawnandplow42
06-25-2005, 04:48 PM
use POR 15 paint. Best stuff in the world.