PDA

View Full Version : A word to scrubs in Columbus Ga. BEWARE!!!!

BUSHMASTER
03-01-2001, 03:24 PM
Well i have all ready posted a thread on what the ga pesticide div is goin to do in columbus and to day i was stopped by special enforcment again. you know just checking me out and the word is that they " special enforcement " is also on the hunt they have been told by thier bosses that they want tickets written for those cutters not having a bizz lincence (they have quotas).I think its great that this year they are suposed to stop every truck they see cutting grass and check their paper or dray tag. It seems that the city has figured out that their are more folks doing this illeagally than thought.Good for them bring it on Its about time that they crack down on it.I was also told if a saw someone cutting who did not look liget to call his mobile phone and give an adreess and a unit would be their shortly ..its nice to see tax dollars at work and in this case it helps all those who are trying to make a living the right way...what ya'll think.

HOMER
03-01-2001, 06:50 PM
I think that.s a good idea. My question is do they check for insurance as well. I think that should be mandatory too. If I need it then so do you. If you can't afford it get out of this and do something else.

I had a customer call me today asking if I was gonna cut their grass this year, I said sure, why do you ask. She told me that a man that I also know was out soliciting business for his son who he is going to set up in business. She told him that I did their yard and the other 2 right beside her. She asked if he had any equipment yet and he said no, he was trying to get customers first.........

I say you Daddies out there need to let your son figure this thing out themselves, be there for them and support them but by all means let them do the leg work!

Kinda veered off course here....had to vent. I see a scrub in the making. Too lazy to do his own soliciting. Good of my customer to alert me though. I know a city 30 miles away was going to let the cops do their checking. If you worked down there you have to have your business license in plain view so when they pull up they don't have to stop you. I like it, go get em boys.

A CUT ABOVE
03-01-2001, 08:02 PM
I live in a small town in Southeast GA. I did some checking with city hall about a month ago and found that out of the 15-20 lawn care companies in town, only 4 had business licenses. So I flagged down the mayor(who is also my mailman) and gave him an ear full. There was a write up in the paper last week announcing to all service companies that business licenses were to be in plain view in your truck at all times. Hope they enforce it.

syzer
03-01-2001, 08:27 PM
By business license do you guys mean the EID (employee identification number)? This is all i have that states that I am a registered business. I hope this would suffice.

Jusmowin
03-01-2001, 10:13 PM
WOW, I wish they would do that in my area. Way toooooooo many scrubs in my area.

Twotoros
03-02-2001, 01:03 PM
Our lazy state agency leaves it up to the businesses in a paticular field to do that work for them. It p-sses me off to see all those guys out there undercutting me by 30-50% because they have no tax resonsibility. During the season the govt. could sit on a corner in town here and watch 10 different lawn-boys(scrubs) cruising. Not only do they not pay tax they have a truck load of cash paid helpers with them. don't get me going or I may have to walk into the local state offices and scream at them lazy bas-steds.

P.s I forwarded this thread to my state agency so this frown is for them:(

Richard Martin
03-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Syzer wrote:

By business license do you guys mean the EID (employee identification number)? This is all i have that states that I am a registered business. I hope this would suffice.

You don't even need that in Maryland. As long as you pay your income tax, any applicable sales taxes (none on services) and property taxes if you have over $20,000 in equpitment you can cut grass till the cows come home and nobody cares. No license or insurance required.

MikeGA
03-02-2001, 03:07 PM
Well, Yall have about talked me out of getting into the business, I am glad I found this site before I set out 10 grand in equipment. Yall have brought up many points I hadn't thought of. Some Legit and some Beuracratic BS. I wanted to set up part time. I was prepared to get the pesticide licenses and the other that go along with it. Then I thought about Insurance, ok, maybe that won't be so bad. Then to get a businesses licenses in every town, county, and or state I have around me I could find some work in steps a bit far. Then keep up with sales Tax on services rendered. Then pay property tax on personal property, We just got the personal property tax exempt of farm Equipment (a battle we have been fighting on our county level for 5 years now). It would take so much of my spare time getting legit and paying someone's government salary to watch what I am doing that I wouldn't have time to do enough make enough money to pay for everything. Then who gets ahead? Some one riding around in a Government car spanking everyones hand who is trying to get some where in life.

Charles
03-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Here in my City in SC we have to have a sticker on our windshield of each vehicle and the license visible in the truck. 350$ fine if not. Even if you just do one yard commercially. County has no requirement yet.

mowerman90
03-02-2001, 04:13 PM
Bushmaster,

I'll bet you have a lot of retired military scrubs down there taking food off your table. As far as I'm concerned they should throw them all in jail if they don't have a license, insurance, etc. Here in central Florida we've got lots of "retirees" mowing for beer money with their 22" Murrays.

MikeGA
03-02-2001, 05:40 PM
How much is the Business licenses where yall are at? I assume if you do business in more than one city and in the county you have to have a licenses for each location.

HOMER
03-02-2001, 07:32 PM
Binnes licenses in Alabama, in my area anyway, range from $25.00 a year to $55.00. One is $100.00 but I don't mow there, it includes planting with it. Getting into this business isn.t that difficult. You walk in City Hall and ask for a license..............your in business for $25.00. If you limit your travel radius you won't have to buy a license for every city cause you won.t be working there. I sure wouldn.t let the "binnus" end of things keep you from going in "binnus", if it does stick to farming, which I thought was a binnus anyway.

VLM
03-02-2001, 09:09 PM
Don't need em here anymore. A couple of yrs ago the county decided to stop requiring bus. liscences unless you gross over 100k. Well, I aint there yet!!!

PLS
03-03-2001, 05:37 PM
Mike, I'm pretty sure you only have to have it where your company is located. City if in the city limits or with the county if your outside the city limits.

PLS

MikeGA
03-03-2001, 06:24 PM
We got into it with the local tax authorities about 5 years ago. We work land in GA and AL. It is about 40 miles between the locations. We were , at that time, growing Cotton in AL and and not in GA. We had a $90k Cotton picker sitting in AL to pick the cotton. We advertised it for sale in the GA market Bullitin. The stipulation was it had to be owned by us and we had to be able to use it in our farming operation to be advertised. Our local GA county acessors searched the bullitin and compared it to our Equipment listed on our personal property taxes. It wasn't there. The next year it showed up on our taxes. We asked why and they said we owned it. We told them it was in our Al operation. They said we Just hid it over there to keep from paying taxes. We provided them with proff we had cotton over there and our attorney provided them with GA digest quotes stating "Personal property associated with a business would be taxed where it was more or less ocated on Jan1 of the tax year." The county attorney came back with "FARMING IS NOT A BUSINESS!" We fought it for 5 years, having to pay the assesed taxes on it "in protest" for the 5 years. They finally gave in last year and "let us" stop paying taxes on it, but wouldn't refund our protested back taxes on it. Then in NOV the state voted to do away with personal property taxes on Farm equipment related to a Family Farm.

So to answer your question Homer, untill 5 years ago I thought farming was a business, cause thats all I have ever done all my life. I suppose if you don't have to have a business licenses, your not a business.

And VLM, I would love to gross over 100K at a part time job, but I will still have 1200 acres of crops planted and I will be working with my Cousin setting up our first 30 acre Pick-N-Pay Vegetable farm.

I live in one county next to a small city, and most of the avaliable needs I have been told about are in the county above me in a bigger city, and where the money probably is is in around a lake in the next state, where half the farm land we work is located.

I don't know, I have found out through farming, the less you have to deal with the guvment, the better off you are! And this will open up other areas of dealing with the guvment I have never had to deal with!!

MikeGA
03-03-2001, 06:27 PM
P.S. Thanks for the encouragement Folks, I still may try it. I would like to, in the next 2 to 3 years, make something of this and be full time with Full service.

Again, Thanks
Mike!

OU812
03-03-2001, 07:45 PM
I wish they would do that here!!!Everyone and thier dog seems to have a crapsman in the back of their 70's Ford junker.It really burns me up!!!!
Crash

BUSHMASTER
03-05-2001, 04:51 PM
Hey ya'll been busy but have a moment now.. no they do not check for your ins. not required by local city ord unless you are doing right a ways....cost of your "paper and dray tags" up front first starting out $100. after that its $55 for the linscens and 2.5 cents per 1thousands dollars of gross sales repeicts per year not bad at all,... with this in mind i have no problem going up on my rates this year cause its going to be tight on the cheapies this summer.......if your dray tag is in veiw and the tag on your truck and trailer have the same county they wont bother you ..........and thiers not a lot of x army follks its a vast array of folks doing it.young old if a car or truck is parked infront of a home that looks like their hauling equiptment and cutting they are going to be asked for the paper and you can only have so many moms and grandpas...

John DiMartino
03-05-2001, 08:37 PM
I wish they would check for license and insurance here-probably knock 1/2 the guys out of business real quick,we need more code enforcement here.