PDA

View Full Version : Help PLEASE - Kohler Command / Dixie

OnMyOwn
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I need everyone's help PLEASE. I have a XWF2700 Dixie Chopper with a 27 hp Kohler command engine. It has just over 500 hours on it and the maintenance / oil changes / filter have been kept perfect.

About three weeks ago it started "sputtering" when it got hot and lost all power. It was if someone pushed the choke forward on a warm engine. It looses all power, dies, and only starts when half choked, or allowed to cool off. It does not even have enough power to turn the blades.

This seems to occur once the engine gets warm, only.

I took it to the Dixie dealer where it was purchased and they ran it for (4) hours, supposedly, then called and said there was nothing wrong with it. When I told them that it only happened under a load, or mowing, they said it did not matter. They claim there is nothing wrong with it and refuse to provide any further service.

I located a second Dixie dealer that refuses to work on the machine since I did not buy it from his dealership.

Note to the wise: beware of Dixie dealership quality when it comes to repair!

Anyway, I replaced air filter, fuel filter, ran seafom thru the tanks and it still is occurring.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM? AT THIS POINT I HAVE A HUGE PAPERWEIGHT THAT DOES NOT RUN! I NEED SOME HELPFUL HINTS, PLEASE........

Andersonlawnscape
06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Well I have to dixie choppers, one coatsville classic and a silver eagle. The coatsville has about 600 hours on it and never have had that problem. I can't really comment on the silver eagle I just got it last summer becuase it was such a good deal and it only has 60-70 hours on it, I hardly ever use it. But I was wondering what dealer you took it to, I saw that you live in central Indiana. I bought my first dixie at Carmel welding and refuse to ever buy it their again I have had so much trouble with them, I was wondering if you would tell me where you bought yours at.

Mowmoregrass
06-23-2005, 02:55 PM
That is a Kohler engine problem not a Dixie problem.

jimslawns
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
This is just a stab in the dark but... Vapor Lock maybe? Also have you checked the routing of fuel lines to make sure you don't have a pinch somewhere? If this is an occasional problem have you checked for an accumlation of debris in the bottom of the fuel tanks!

JOEWOOD
06-23-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/BNS/BNS220/CHL077.jpg

OnMyOwn, have the same problem-o with my Gravely ProMaster 200!
Engine runs fine with no load, engage blades and no power!

Good Luck...Joe... :help:

Luscious Lawns
06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
If the 27 is the fuel injected model you might want to check the O2 sensor and the connection from the sensor to the engine. I've had 2 machines that both needed the O2 sensor replaced. (BTW the O2 sensor is screwed into the muffler) A new sensor is about $85.00 I keep one in reserve at the shop.

Allen

fel
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
My brother in law has the chopper with a 25 Kohler, he had a problem with it from new, at about 6 or so hours it would only run on one cylinder, put new plugs in and that would fix it for a while. He took it to the dealer about three times before they figured out it was a problem with the coil, they replaced it and he has not had a problem since..

LawnBrother
06-23-2005, 05:25 PM
I had a similar problem with a 15hp Kohler. It would run fine all day and then for no appearent reason it would just sputter and die. Wouldn't start again for 20 minutes sometimes. Also had problems starting hot or cold, but very intermittently. Turned out to be the ignition module. My mechanic said it was a known problem with Kohlers. Good luck.

OnMyOwn
06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the input. We spent Saturday going through the mower trying to figure out the problem. Finally, we turned off one fuel tank and ran the mower without a problem. Next, we opened the other tank and turned off the first tank. The mower started sputtering and backfiring.

Come to find out there was a creak in a rubber grommet on one of the fuel pitcock shut-off valves. When the mower was bouncing across the turf, small amounts of fuel was leaking out and air was being sucked into the fuel line. This was not noticeable when the mower was sitting still, or idling. In fact, if the mower was idling, you could not even see the fuel leak.

This has been a nightmare to find the problem, so I wanted to share the outcome with everyone in case you ever had a similar issue.

Thanks again,

John

Runner
06-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, THERE's another one to put on the list of diagnosing problems. I'm glad you found it.

ToroLandscaper
06-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Glad you got it fixed

Soupy
06-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the input. We spent Saturday going through the mower trying to figure out the problem. Finally, we turned off one fuel tank and ran the mower without a problem. Next, we opened the other tank and turned off the first tank. The mower started sputtering and backfiring.

Come to find out there was a creak in a rubber grommet on one of the fuel pitcock shut-off valves. When the mower was bouncing across the turf, small amounts of fuel was leaking out and air was being sucked into the fuel line. This was not noticeable when the mower was sitting still, or idling. In fact, if the mower was idling, you could not even see the fuel leak.

This has been a nightmare to find the problem, so I wanted to share the outcome with everyone in case you ever had a similar issue.

Thanks again,

John

Glad you found the problem. Now call the dealer and rub it in their face (politely).