PDA

View Full Version : sluggish trimmer

lurchy98
06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I own a stihl f544 trimmer and it has begun to give me problems. It has provided years of trouble free service but this season it has been running sluggish. It has trouble cutting grass and is hard to start. It seems like the motor is bogging down or missing. I have replaced the spark plug and adjusted the carb. and nothing helps. I would like to fix it but if it continues to give me problems I am going to buy a new one. If it comes down to that I have been considering a 4 storke model, what opinions do you have on these. It seems like they would be easier to operate and more reliable starting. Any comments that you have are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A.R.P.
06-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Try changing the fuel filter which is on the end of the pick-up hose that dangles in the fuel tank. Clean the exhaust port. Otherwise you will need to have the carb rebuilt.

ed2hess
06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Rebuilding the carb is not difficult just carefully lay out the part so you get the replacement back in the same order. Regarding the 4MIX I would stay with the 2 stroke until they get all the problems solved. Get an Echo like the SRM260 that has the carb adjustment and you will be fine.

lurchy98
06-23-2005, 07:09 PM
thanks for the info guys, I will check the filter and clean the exhaust and keep you all informed on how that goes.

Back40Lawns
06-23-2005, 11:13 PM
I have had the same problem. Small equipment has small screens(spark arresters) between the engine and the muffler and usually one at the exit of the muffler. Remove these and I'll bet your trimmer will be good as new or better. It's like this...if you put your hand over your mouth and cannot exhale, you die. Same idea with engines.

lurchy98
06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
well, I cleaned the exhaust, spark arrestor, and the filter and it had no effect on the trimmer. I guess the carb needs to be rebuilt, how much are rebuild kits and are they easy to get. Thanks for all the help.

Lawn Masters
06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Rebuild kits are normally only about $10 .

lurchy98
06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I just rebuilt the carb. and it didn't help much at all. I am at my witts end here, there has to be something that I am overlooking. I am close to buying a new one and tossing this one over a hill, if you can think of anything I might be overlooking please mention it. thanks.

heritage
06-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Lurchy,
Try running the trimmer with the gas cap loosened. I have seen many older stihl trimmers that had plugged gas cap vents, and engine was starved of most if it's power. If that does not work, you may need to rebuild the top end.

Pete D.

dfor
06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Mine is acting the same way. Dealer said to take the muffler off and clean the port that way. Problem is I can't get the bolts to come out. And I don't want to force them.

Grounds Control
06-29-2005, 08:12 PM
not sure if your trimmer has one or not......

on my echo srm 230 there is a vent tube from the tank that has a small white vent/filter. It hides under the engine shroud. Needs to be changed about 1 a year.