PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove this, how was my bid?

cochino12
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
I have never pulled a cactus before and normally wouldnt mess with it but its for an elder lady who is an excellent weekly customer and she said she would rather spend her money with me. So I told her $175 to pull it out, and she will handle the disposal too. Any suggestions or advice on getting it out? I was thinking I'd just cut the branches (are they called branches?) off with my chainsaw and then just dig the rest of it up? Thanks for any help

adam

dvmcmrhp52
06-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Why cut it? I would just dig it out.

FlaRipper
06-23-2005, 07:55 PM
175 seems pretty steep. Is this only one cactus? Sounds like some easy $$. Just clip off the branches and pop it out with a shovel. Not much of a root system. Should take 5 min

cochino12
06-23-2005, 08:01 PM
175 seems pretty steep. Is this only one cactus? Sounds like some easy $$. Just clip off the branches and pop it out with a shovel. Not much of a root system. Should take 5 min

Yep only the one cactus, I wasnt sure how deep the roots were. I figured it would be easier to take the branches off before I dig it out. Thanks :cool:

yamadooski
06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
175.00 is a good price. How many times do you think your'e gonna poked?

Scapegoat
06-23-2005, 09:22 PM
More power to ya for getting $175. That's about $35 a minute for that job. :)

gogetter
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Definately seems high $ for one small cactus, especially considering SHE has to dispose of it after you get it out of the ground.

mcclureandson
06-24-2005, 12:33 AM
175.00 for that...I guess you saw her coming. I couldn't live with myself...that shouldn't take five minutes.

topsites
06-24-2005, 12:43 AM
175.00 for that...I guess you saw her coming. I couldn't live with myself...that shouldn't take five minutes.

Well hey now the man was covering his tail cauz the job COULD be a real pita but he didn't know it was gonna be easy...
Still I agree, I think maybe after you get it out you do what I do when this happens: Look sheepish and fess up, then give her the right price and she'll be so glad you're honest, too.
Remember, you can always go down in price (yes, even WAY down).

I've done that plenty times, quoted a high price only cauz I thought it would take a long time (or be a real pita) then it turns out it took all of 3 minutes so I just fess up and slash that old price all to pieces and make it right.

dexpress
06-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Each time I have lowered my price I have been given more work and improved the loyalty of that customer.

MP350
06-24-2005, 05:50 AM
I would use a machete to cut it up, pick the pieces up with a pitch fork, then dig up the root. That should make the job easier and poke free.

dcplace2004
06-24-2005, 05:53 AM
when people like you bid so high...next time someone asks me to pull a cactus, I am going to say "5,000 dallah prease"...

dcplace2004
06-24-2005, 05:55 AM
you are for bidding out of control...

SWD
06-24-2005, 06:53 AM
What ever you do, do not sever the leaf tissue near the crown of the cactus. Don't mow it dowm first than pick axe it out either.
To prevent reinfestation from the tap root, take an old broom stick or a sharpened piece of rebar and poke a bunch of holes in it. Spray with a high percentage glysophate compound, wait one week then dig it up.

Pro-Scapes
06-24-2005, 11:35 AM
What ever you do, do not sever the leaf tissue near the crown of the cactus. Don't mow it dowm first than pick axe it out either.
To prevent reinfestation from the tap root, take an old broom stick or a sharpened piece of rebar and poke a bunch of holes in it. Spray with a high percentage glysophate compound, wait one week then dig it up.
bingo. Kill it first or just yank it all. Should come up easy. I pulled 5 like that last year in about an hour. 90 bucks for the pita factor and I disposed of it. If u cut it up while its aline good chance of it coming back. I think I snaked a chain round it then pulled it up by hand on some of em tho. I transplanted some in my yard when I lived out west

sheshovel
06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Whatever you do DON'T chop it up into peices or cut the tops off ,then you triple your thorny mess.This is actually alot of little cacti growing from the center out.Rake the rock away, a sharp flat long handled shovel with a nice strong head and shove it under a little say 4" then slide it across and push the end of the shovel handle down and that section will pop right up,.Do the above tell youv'e reached your limit of shovel all round then lift the sections into a tarp or something that you can just throw it all in together and drag it away.$175.00 is big overcharge.I mean come on!Mabey take you 10min max .I would charge $25 or $30 max with disposal into her trash