PDA

View Full Version : Neat idea-ammo boxes

SMB
03-01-2001, 07:07 PM
I went to an Army/Navy store today and bought an ammo box. It's about 2 feet x 2 feet x 6 inches, used to hold .50 caliber bullets-it cost me $13. I am going to give it a good paint job and put it on our trailer with some kind of quick attack brackets or something to hold extra blades, tools, trimmer line, etc. Just thought it's a good idea. I was going to get something like a long rocket box, but the only one they had opened from the end.

Ssouth
03-01-2001, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I have been looking into something to store extra blades and trimmer spools. Never thought about ammo boxes, but you can bet I will be at the army surplus store this weekend. So far the only thing I have been able to find is a tool box that mounts over the wheel wells on my f-250 and they are a very expensive option just to hold blades and spools. If I could find the right size ammo box I could just mount it on the side of my trailer with some sort of quick connect attatchment. Then at the end of the week just detatch it, take it into the shop, sharpen blades, fill spools, fill it back up with sharp blades and re-attatch it. Thank you for the post, it has stirred my thinking process and I am sure it will help my check book.

AB Lawn Care
03-01-2001, 07:45 PM
If you keep the gasket on the box lubed with WD40 it will stay water tight.Good idea.

GLM
03-01-2001, 07:51 PM
Ammo boxes rule! Cheap and very tough. water tight to boot.

SMB
03-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Some certain ammo boxes are available from http://www.northerntool.com Also http://www.cheaperthandirt.com carries some ammo boxes, and a lot of military surplus. They also carry a organizer to fit in a smaller .50 cal. ammo box.

R&GSweeping
03-02-2001, 07:44 PM
Stephen: just be careful when you paint them. My dad bought a bunch of ammo boxes and painted them. Now most will not shut/open properly. Just a thought.

Ron

Barkleymut
03-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Check Ebay, they always have some for sale.