PDA

View Full Version : cutting a curve

jc103
06-23-2005, 10:23 PM
what is the best way to cut a curve in pavers

treedoc1
06-24-2005, 05:29 PM
1/2" pvc white or gray pipe.

I put 2-3 lengths together, bend to form the arcs I want, mark it and cut the stone or pavers with a 7" worm drive circular saw.

The pipe doesn't allow me to put too tight an arc on the project that won't cut well or look good.

mbella
06-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I mark the pavers the same way as Treedoc, but I cut with a cut-off with a 12" blade.

cgland
06-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I do it the same way as Mbella, but I use a 14" cutoff. Mine is 2" bigger than Mikes. :p

Chris

GreenMonster
06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
yup, these guys are "da bomb"!

Overlay and cut in place. I started doing it this year and wish I had done it sooner. These hillbillies from Pennsylvania know their sh!t
:D

I use a 14" cut-off too.

mbella
06-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Mark, from a "hillbilly" to a city slicker, I use the 12" because I can cut a tighter radius.

GreenMonster
06-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Mark, from a "hillbilly" to a city slicker, I use the 12" because I can cut a tighter radius.

Mike, you don't have to make excuses for your deficiencies. I mean, 14" is BIG, but 12" is nothing to be ashamed of.

We're still talking about our saws, right?

mbella
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Uhh, yeah. Absolutely.

1bsman
07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
For those who cut the pavers in place with the cutoff saw...How do you address the sand dropout along the cut line? I have been doing it this way for curves but waste a lot of time repacking the sand along the perimeter pavers before installing edge restraint. Anyone have a trick?

mbella
07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
For those who cut the pavers in place with the cutoff saw...How do you address the sand dropout along the cut line? I have been doing it this way for curves but waste a lot of time repacking the sand along the perimeter pavers before installing edge restraint. Anyone have a trick?

I don't know exactly what you're doing, but our sand bedding generally extends about 12" past where we are overcutting, depending on what border we are installing.

1bsman
07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Typically running a soldier course with approx 12" sand extension (as measured from the cut line). Most recently, running a sailor course with approx 8" sand extension. I'm trying to determine if its an issue with the saw blade digging the sand out or if the sand is too dry. Maybe a combination of the two or something else? What I find is that the pieces I cut tend to tilt downward a bit after the blade passes over. Is this normal and will go away after the restraint is down and final compaction? Or have you never experienced the "tilt" of the paver after cutting?