PDA

View Full Version : Kaw won't start when hot

1grnlwn
06-24-2005, 02:33 AM
My vert shaft Kaw 27 is real hard to start when it is hot . If you don't guess the right throttle pos it will crank forever. I had to trailer it today and wait an hour. Did full throttle and choke and it fired on first crank. Any experience with this?

Likestomow
06-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a 25hp Kaw and have always kept the throttle on full speed. In fact, I never change the throttle (well maybe rarely) and even shut it off on full speed. I have done this with all my engines, Kohler, Generac, etc.

I always have to choke my motor, even when it is hot. I've been told the reason is because they are tuned to run very lean to meet EPA regs.

If this engine is within the warranty period, I'd run it back to the dealer. If not, I'd be thinking seriously about either cleaning out the carb or rebuilding it.

xcopterdoc
06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Most Kaws I know of will have to be choked when hot... I think it even addresses this in the operators manual. as long as it starts and runs... nothing to worry about.

Restrorob
06-24-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a 25hp Kaw and have always kept the throttle on full speed. In fact, I never change the throttle (well maybe rarely) and even shut it off on full speed. I have done this with all my engines, Kohler, Generac, etc.

I always have to choke my motor, even when it is hot. I've been told the reason is because they are tuned to run very lean to meet EPA regs.

If this engine is within the warranty period, I'd run it back to the dealer. If not, I'd be thinking seriously about either cleaning out the carb or rebuilding it.

Do you crank or shut off your car or truck at full speed ?

1grnlwn
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Well the problem was slightly loose spark plugs. It's a fairly new engine. The spark plugs must have been letting compression past when the head was hot and expanded. Works fine now. I feel kind of dumb. I put up with the problem for a month or so.

fixer67
07-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Do you crank or shut off your car or truck at full speed ?

No, I do not but I once worked with a fool that did. Brand new 1996 Nissan. He worked second shaft and at midnight he would crank his truck at full throttle and have it in gear and out the gate doing 40 to 50 so fast I bet the oil pressure had not came up to specs before he was out the gate. Every one told him he was going to blow it up doing that. He just got mad and said we were jealous of his new truck. It lasted less than two weeks. One a side note some one at the mill had called his dealer and told them what he was doing and the dealer would not do any work under warranty on it for him. And no, I am not the one who called them either

iluvscag
07-27-2005, 12:22 AM
No, I do not but I once worked with a fool that did. Brand new 1996 Nissan. He worked second shaft and at midnight he would crank his truck at full throttle and have it in gear and out the gate doing 40 to 50 so fast I bet the oil pressure had not came up to specs before he was out the gate. Every one told him he was going to blow it up doing that. He just got mad and said we were jealous of his new truck. It lasted less than two weeks. One a side note some one at the mill had called his dealer and told them what he was doing and the dealer would not do any work under warranty on it for him. And no, I am not the one who called them either

That's a good one. :)

Restrorob
07-27-2005, 07:50 AM

My ex wife would crank her mercury at half throttle every morning, I tried everything to get her to tap the pedal twice to set the high idle cam on the carb. but she just wouldn't. After a while you could hear the mains rattle until it built up pressure, With in 8 mos. I was replacing main and rod bearings. :dizzy:
She done the same thing to a Caddy I bought her, But luckily I was gone when that one blew. :D