PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer rack

TJLC
03-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not too cheap to spend the money for a factory made trimmer rack. I'm just wandering if anyone has a homemade version that they have made and would like to share their thoughts about this. If so how did you make yours? Thanks. Also any thoughts on factory made ones. Trimmertrap,Jungle Jim etc...

Runner
03-01-2001, 08:49 PM
I made my own. I have a a rack on each side of my trailer that holds two trimmers each. I think they are alot nicer than the ones you but, and they hold my trimmers nice snug, and and stable so they don't wobble all over the place. Best of all, they stay upright so the gas doesn't leak out all over the place when they are spinning around going down the road. I have about 15 bucks into the both of mine.

lsylvain
03-05-2001, 03:07 PM
I don't like racks. It leaves them exposed to the weather when your out and i think it takes longer to get the trimmers in and out. I build a custom tool box with slots for my trimmers so that the motor is inside the tool box with the shaft sticking out. To get them out just lift the top, grab, and go. No fooling with clamps and such.

AltaLawnCare
03-05-2001, 03:31 PM
I love to make things, and having access to a nice shop and MIG doesn't hurt. I made mine out of angle iron and brackets. The brackets came from Northern tool, they are made for trailer spring shackle hangers, the deep ones will work. They have a 1/2" hole that a pin and clip can slip through.
If I didn't have an overhang beside my shop to park under, I would have made a box like the one described by lsylvain.

kutnkru
03-05-2001, 04:09 PM
I have recently spoken with a LCO who purchased his set from an amish contractor in PA. I should be getting the info anytime now from the LCO. When I do I will post it in this thread.

I know many guys who have taken j-channel and fastened the old bike hooks to them and then use a bungee cord to keep them fastened. I also know of guys who put these hooks into the sides of their wooden racks for their pick-ups and faten them there the same way.

Hope this helps.
Kris

BUSHMASTER
03-05-2001, 04:10 PM
As far as the weather goes you can purchase engine covers that are water proof and lockable while on your rack...
with a heat cover inside you'll spend about $120.00

jimsmowin
03-05-2001, 04:31 PM
i use trimmertrap very happy with them. they are lockable with 1 lock. weedeaters stay upright.