PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washing, add on service?

eggy
03-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Just wondering if any of you do pressure washing as a add on. It might help us in keeping the guys busy in a drought etc, and possiably mild winter days. Your thoughts?

awm
03-01-2001, 10:04 PM
Not that great a seller for me though.

eggy
03-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Thanks Mark, we are looking at a mobil unit, running around only $5000.00 so if it doesnt go over that well it wouldnt be a big problem. However we have the commercial accounts needing it so?

awm
03-01-2001, 10:20 PM
That must be a one with hot n cold water ETC.
If I had many commercial accts that would be the way to go.
LUCK TO YA

jay
03-01-2001, 10:27 PM
What size pressure washer were you looking for?

[Edited by jay on 03-02-2001 at 02:30 AM]

DMC300
03-03-2001, 02:17 PM
I just purchased a new pressure washer this week,first job paid for one-third of the price of the machine!
there's a lot of mobile homes in this area,also love bug season will be busy.

GrassMaster
03-03-2001, 04:00 PM
Hello Everybody:

Yes it is tuff getting Pressure Washing Jobs & we used a cold water unit with 2,500 psi. We did get quite a bit of work with our Lawn Service Customers. It took a while & what we did was every month on our statements we mentioned that we also did pressure washing.

Have any of you guys tried this?
Offering a monthly Maintenance agreement at places with drive throughs? Fast food, Banks & etc...

Also at Resturants entrances & at their dumpsters?
Dental offices, these & Resturants have a excessive amount of gum thrown down on walk ways all the time?

Any of the above it should be fairly easy to get regular scheduled maintenance agreements.

kutnkru
03-03-2001, 05:05 PM
I know guys that sub contract to the hospitals for cleaning of their lunch area patios/loading docks/front entrance ways.

The other companies that you could check with would be the trucking companies for their loading docks as well, or possibly washing the trucks/trailers.

Kris

Chip
03-03-2001, 09:05 PM
I bought a pressure washer a few years ago. It paid for itself with the first few jobs I did. Mostly brick walkways with moss. I use it for doing my deck and my Dads deck and Gazebo. They are a nice machine to have especially for cleaning your equipment at the end of the season. But they can also be quite dangerous and do plenty of damage if you don't know what you are doing. I cut my self once it hurts really bad. Just my opinion, but this is a business that should be left to someone who does it professionally.This is a business that requires lots of experience and proper training. Don't mean to preach but if you have one make sure you follow all the safety precautions. Sub the work out and make a few bucks while you sit back and watch.

jeffex
03-04-2001, 09:34 AM
Here in my area pressure washing can be better
than mowing. I have a business I call DECK
DOCTOR PRESSURE WASHING. go to http://www.angelfire.com
/md2/jeffex the web page is new and we need
more pics. we do mostly pressure treated
wood decks that have turned gray or moldy. we
added lawn mowing to this bus. to extend our
season. get a 3000 psi machine with a 11hp
honda at 4 gal/min at least.

jeffex
03-04-2001, 09:41 AM
when your ready to be my first franchise let me
know!!!! we have a secret formula for removing
old stains from decks that homeowners have
ruined with home depo stain. pressure washing
alone won't get it off. We also can get stain
off of siding that homeowners got all over the
back of thier house when they tried it themself
or hired some cheapo to do!! MY CUSTOMERS
started calling me the DECK DOCTOR and It stuck

eggy
03-04-2001, 11:10 AM
To be honest the unit I am planning to buy is a hot pressure washer..I will be looking into doing houses but the main goal is to wash fleets...or possiably auto dealerships....

lx665
03-04-2001, 11:20 AM
I did presure washing for years. There is some good money to be made, but be careful. If you do fleet washing there are some EPA laws that deal with run off. There is a great web site that offers all kinds of information dealing with presure washing, equipment, and laws. The address is http://www.dcs1.com.

fivestarlawnken
03-04-2001, 12:39 PM
ive had calls and questions about deck washing etc, might be a pain the butt but i think some money can be made . wash on!!!

gogetter
04-28-2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Chip
But they can also be quite dangerous and do plenty of damage if you don't know what you are doing. I cut my self once it hurts really bad. Just my opinion, but this is a business that should be left to someone who does it professionally.This is a business that requires lots of experience and proper training.

I've thought about the whole pressure washing thing myself as an add-on service for the slow times and mild winter days. You touched on a thought that I had.
I'm not so much worried about hurting myself with the unit, but I was concerned about possibly doing damage to property. Perhaps this could be a new forum to consider (seeing as a welding forum was just added)?
I'd certainly like to hear from the professional pressure washers out there as to tips and tricks of the biz.
Thoughts?

BobbyBcuttin
04-28-2001, 02:12 AM
I was just wondering what the epa rules are on washing fleets,i had a contract with a local branch of a company out of ohio untill i got a letter from the local epa office stating that all water needed to be reclaimed do to the amount of grease and oil that most semi have on and around them. I was also approched by consolidated freight to wash there trucks but they said there company,do to epa laws required the water also needed to be reclaimed. Now my pressure washer is only used for decks houses and my own stuff i didn't care to mess with the epa,just my 2 cent's but defintley something you should check on

BobbyBcuttin
04-28-2001, 02:15 AM
Sorry lx665 i didn't read all the post before i replied,seems you might had some of the same experience i had Bobby

Charles
04-28-2001, 09:54 AM
I checked into the pressure washing biz and it has its good and bad points:
My insurance agent said that this(pressure washing) is a seperate category from lawn care and would not be covered under my current policy-- result 400$ mo money-- that sucks.
Commercial accounts would probably want varification of insurance. And you could damage a home or kill shrubs.
Pressure washing homes is very time consuming and peeps want it done when they want it done and not when your lawn care biz slows down.
Also I checked the ads in the paper and people are giving away their service just as in lawn care.
Most commercial accounts want the work done after they close. Meaning you may be working alot after 12 pm(3rd shift)
If you are going to pay the extra insurance and or buy a 5000$$ hot pressure washer, can you afford to let it sit and collect dust as a parttime operation?

Chip
04-28-2001, 05:10 PM
Jonathan There is a pressure washing board with lots of useful information. I don't have the link anymore but if you search the web for pressure washers bulletin board I'm sure you will find it.

jjfehr
04-28-2001, 11:25 PM
There sure is good money in washing! I did a 32 deck project for a condo association last year (clean and seal).
costs
$400 insurance policy
$700 in deck sealer/stain/pads/sprayers/gas/oil/etc..
$300 for home depot washer
billed $3300 for 20 hrs of work
I netted $1900 in 20 hrs or $95/hr and the closest bid to mine was $3900. I live in the association so I decided to save them some money and buy my self a vacation to Jamaica. The work is nice, similar to mowing,loud and lots of time to THINK about nothing!!! Go for it!!