PDA

View Full Version : Paver work in progress

MarcusLndscp
06-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Here's a job we're currently doing

MarcusLndscp
06-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry, hit the wrong key and submitted too early. Here's a job we're currently doing. We still have to run a band of pavers around the edge of the octagon and then run 2 small walks from it to the gazebo and to the house and one long walk about 60 feet around to the side of the garage. Nothing's been edged yet and obviously not planted but it will all be done by wednesday so I'll post finish pics then.

bigviclbi
06-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Are those pavers wet they look like they have a sheen to them?

Foz
06-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Looks good so far, make sure you post the finished job pics

RedWingsDet
06-26-2005, 09:22 AM
may I ask what you used to get that level. on an area that broad it doesnt seem like the standard 1/4pipe and 2x4 would be sufficent.

MarcusLndscp
06-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes the pavers are wet.

As far as level goes....all the water sheds in one direction to the left of the gazebo if you're looking at it. To do this we used (3) - 3/4" rigid steel electrical conduit. The O.D. of it is one inch. I layed one in the middle and one on each side then used an 8' screed to screed off the sand. The pipes were shot with a transit to get the grades exact. There is another 35' walkway we completed there already as well I just don't have a finish pic. To screed and lay and cut the octagon took 2 of us about 4 hours.

What is 1/4 pipe?

AL Inc
06-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Very cool looking, I like it. What type of pavers did you use? Looks a lot like the Anchor Country Manor buff/flash brown combo that I'm using at my house.

cgland
06-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Marcus - Looks good! I like the octagon. Your cuts look good. Post some more pics when available.

Chris

MarcusLndscp
06-26-2005, 12:07 PM
The pavers are from Bolduc....first time I've used them. Same concept as say a dublin cobble with 4 sizes. I notice quite a few imperfections with the Bolduc. Quite often one side of the paver will have a big "wart" that is probably the size of a golf ball in diamter or a bit bigger and stands about 1/2" high. The opposite side so far has been usable so not a big deal, you just have to watch for them. Thanks about the cuts CGLand, the good part of doing a pattern like that is you have NO waste if the guy cutting is any good. Whatever chunk was left from the cut you were making you just flip it over and start your next course with it. I think on the octagon which is 15' wide the only waste we had was from the first pie pieces we had to cut between each band. So we only had 16 small corners of a square for waste on that part of the job. The center we made out of a 2" thick piece of dimensional granite and really getting that piece sized and cut properly was the whole key to the rest of the octagon coming out right.

GreenMonster
06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Mark,

Are those the Bolduc Chateau? I use them quite a bit. I had a similar "wart" experience with them for the first time last week. Except, the imperfection in mine was more of a straight line, and not a circle. As you said, they could be flipped over and were fine.

Lookin' good.

MarcusLndscp
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Hey Mark,
Yeah ours had the same straight line thing too. Must be a BAD batch or something.
By the way are you keeping your nose clean??? :D
We'll see about monday, I'll let you know.
I hope everyone's enjoying the heat :cry:

GreenMonster
06-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Mark,

what are you guys using for base?

BTW, the landscape timbers are a nice touch :rolleyes:

please don't forget to take them out before you leave

lawnhoney
06-27-2005, 10:05 PM
those pavers are beautiful ! I ove the color and design ,I have pavers off my back entry and I love them :rolleyes: want more hehe! Beautiful job. Come to my house :D

MarcusLndscp
06-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Landscape timbers??? That brown on your nose must be migrating over your eyes!!! :D That's homeowner installed slabs of granite. I got your PM so e-mail me those pics and I'll see what we can do! The base is crushed gravel or whatever you New Hampshire folk call it. Ledge pak whatever term it is you use. It packs much better than what we used in VT I'll tell you that much. Wish I knew someone with a boat on these hot NH days!!! :waving:

MarcusLndscp
06-30-2005, 08:16 PM
95% of our work is now finished. Would have been done earlier except GreenMonster has been doing rain dances every afternoon. We still have some planting, mulching and finishing touch ups to do here and there but this is what we'd accomplished by the end of today.

MarcusLndscp
06-30-2005, 08:19 PM
some more............

mbella
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Looks Good. I like the curves. I like the softscape. Everything looks good. BTW, what the hell is your name? I don't think it's Marcus, is it?

MarcusLndscp
06-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mike
Depends on who the hell you are I guess :D . Most of my friends call me Marcus my girlfriend hates it and calls me Mark after that I'm sure others may have a few select names for me that I don't know about but I'm not too sure. So whatever name gets you excited is fine by me. :cool2:

mbella
06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
So it is Marcus. For some reason I didn't think it was. Anyway, Marcus, nice work.

GreenMonster
06-30-2005, 10:00 PM
95% of our work is now finished. Would have been done earlier except GreenMonster has been doing rain dances every afternoon.

oh yeah, like I want the rain. MY patio woulda been done too if it weren't for these "scattered" 2 hour T-storms. I hope mine will be mostly complete tomorrow. I'll try to post a few pics of my hardscapes from this year when I get a chance.

Do you have any blossoms on your endless summer's? I've put in a bunch this year and none have produced flowers yet. I had some early one's that did, until they got hit by frost. I guess the nurseries have put the N to them to get em growing but now they're not blooming????

BTW, you should change your location to say something other than New England. YOu wouldn't want anyone to think you're from MA, CT, or worse.... VT :eek:

oh yeah, looks nice. Only problem is that whenever someone goes to the gazebo, they're going to STOP at the patio. Get it? :laugh:

kris
07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Looks really good!

The house doesn't look to shabby either.

MarcusLndscp
07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys
Mark 1/2 of the Endless Summer's do have blooms on them, got them from Millicans. I kind of have to say New England since I lived on the Cape for 18 years, Maine for 6 years, Vermont for 4 years, and now into NH with people that have awful sense of humors. :D Sad part is Mark it took me a minute to figure out what is was you meant by "STOP at the patio". Kris the house is incredible, they gave me a tour of it today when I was done with the mulching and touch ups. They built the whole thing from top to bottom themselves. We were the first contractor they had ever had on site to do anything for them. He's a mason by trade (owner of a very big company) so I asked him what was with all the wood. He showed me the inside where he had a fireplace in a room with cathedral ceilings he built all from stone on the property and endless other stonework throughout the house. It was awesome.

sheshovel
07-05-2005, 02:19 AM
Real great looking work!Actually that design is an ancient
chinese symbol called The Pa Kua representing the compass directions and sub directions used in Feng Shui.
It is regarded as one of the most important symbols of protection from poison arrows or other harmfull structures,and is believed to ward off manevolent spirits.
So it's not just an octagon..

GreenMonster
07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Real great looking work!Actually that design is an ancient
chinese symbol called The Pa Kua representing the compass directions and sub directions used in Feng Shui.
It is regarded as one of the most important symbols of protection from poison arrows or other harmfull structures,and is believed to ward off manevolent spirits.
So it's not just an octagon..

Still looks like a stop sign to me... :waving:

I think you should go back Marcus and stack some rocks around the stop sign for good karma.

sheshovel
07-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Where do you think the stop sign came from anyway??

GreenMonster
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Where do you think the stop sign came from anyway??

I thought the stop sign came along about the same time they started letting women drive :D

sheshovel
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I'll refrain from answering that bait this time my friend.

GreenMonster
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I'll refrain from answering that bait this time my friend.

What? Me? Troll? :)