PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake misshap

Red_Rattler
03-01-2001, 10:11 PM
At the end of fall, one of my crews was coming back for a landscaping site, LOADED 21' trailer with a bobcat with various attachments, and a straw blower in the box of the truck. Needless to say it was heavy. The truck was an old 79 F250 with no warning lights for that kind of thing. It had a healthy 460 so it had no prob with the load, they didn't notice the resistance "so they say." But with a trip about 35 miles away at 65 mph or greater and the parking brake was on all the way. When they got back I was there, and smoke was rolling out from the rear end, and they were close to starting on fire. Now a new set of shoes is gone, the drums were warped from the heat. Have you guys ever have anything like this happen?

khouse
03-02-2001, 12:34 AM
If you saw the parking brake on with your own eyes then all you can do is say to them to check the #@#! parking brake please. You mentioned that the shoes were new. Were they just replaced shortly before thier trip? If so and they say the brake wasn't on then it could be the mechanic. The brakes could have had an initial adjustment that was too tight? This would burn the shoes. I know from experience because I was an auto mechanic for 13 years. Good luck. kenny