PDA

View Full Version : Charging for more than purchased.

1BadHawk
06-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I did a mulch job for a lady last week which I estimated would take about 10 or 11 yards. Her estimate was for 11 yards. The supplier I use often times brings more than I order and in some cases as much as 3 yards more. Case in had, I did a mulch job 2 weeks ago, orderd 7, and he delivered 10. Of course I only was charge for the 7.

Any how, this ladys was going to use about 10 or so, so I ordered 8 from the supplier figureing he'e bring me extra as usual. Sure enough, he brought about 10 or so. which was enough to do the job. I actaully had a little left over.

I billed the customer for the original 11 yards as estimated. Now shes bitching because she called the supplier and asked them how much mulch I ordered, and they told her 8. So now she ensists on paying only for eight yards. Even though I only ordered 8, I know I laid about 10 or so. DId a really good job, cleaned up well. But she will only pay me for the eight I ordered.

I explained the situation to her and told her the best I could do was charge her for 8yd of material, but I was going to charge her for 10yd of labor. She's pissed.

TURF DOCTOR
06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
that's the only thing you can do she is getting free mulch

Woody82986
06-26-2005, 05:52 PM
The best thing you can do in that situation would be to charge her for only 8 yards and tell your supplier from now on to only give you what you order so that crap doesnt happen again. It will only come back to bite you in the rear like it seemed to have happened in this case.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Talk about lack of trust never have I heard that before. One dump her when you get a chance anyone that checks up on you like that is not worth your time and Two call your supplier and have a chat with them. Explain how they cost you some money and how in the future if they ever get that question again they should say we’re sorry but we do not release info about our clients buying habits including ABC landscaping your need to ask them. They should not be giving out this info same with what it cost if you get a discount why should you pass it on to someone when its you who earned it.

HOOLIE
06-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Don't charge by the yard next time... :nono:

Just give them the total price for the job.

olderthandirt
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Talk about lack of trust never have I heard that before. One dump her when you get a chance anyone that checks up on you like that is not worth your time and Two call your supplier and have a chat with them. Explain how they cost you some money and how in the future if they ever get that question again they should say we’re sorry but we do not release info about our clients buying habits including ABC landscaping your need to ask them. They should not be giving out this info same with what it cost if you get a discount why should you pass it on to someone when its you who earned it.
Could not have said it better. Matt hit both points that you need to address. BTW- Thats how much they delievered, how much did you have on your truck already??? 3 yds probably. payup

Wolfie's L&L
06-26-2005, 10:24 PM
How did she figure out who your supplier was?

Jason

1BadHawk
06-27-2005, 10:18 AM
She was home home when the supplier showed up to deliver the mulch which is how she knew who it was.

She paid the 8yds material and labor, and has been dropped. No need for a customer whos going to debate my estimates, and then go behind my back to find out what, where, and how much I pay for materials.

Ill soon be talking to owner of the nursury where I purchase the mulch from to advise him of the problems they could have helped to avoid.

Remsen1
06-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I've seen this issue before on LS and it would appear that the supplier deliverying more than ordered (even though they aren't charging you more) is a problem, becuase the LCO is left with the labor of spreading all of the mulch that was delivered then this expense has to be passed on to the customer. If I had a supplier who did this, I would have to word my estimate 8-10 yards of mulch installed - material, delivery, installation, cleanup - $540-$600.

The price is calculated as follows.

$540 = 8 yards installed @ $60 per yard + cleanup and removal of the remaining 2 yards @ $30 per yard (not charging for the material and delivery of the extra yards, but I am charging to remove it from the site, i wouldn't tell them this though and if they think they own it and want me to leave it there in a pile the $30 covers the material).

$600 = 10 yards installed @ $60 per yard.

It would be preferable to have a supplier who delivers exactly the amount you ordered or slightly more than ordered but 2 extra yards when you ordered 8, that's 25% more than ordered.

sheshovel
06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Why is your customer getting the mulch for retail in the 1st place,your charges for materials should reflect a markup for profit.Retail.$30.00 a yard You order and have delivered
as part of the job it should be more like $45.00 a yard to the client.
A agree the supplier should NEVER give out info on you about anything,net they'll be telling the cust how much your discount is.Get them streight on delivery amounts.Tell them if they want to give you a break do it in your$ % off amount not by giving you xtras.Be nice though.They don't know any better.
Eat the labor and charge her for the 8 because in her eyes she got 8 .And give a price on the total job dont give amounts,yardage unless they ask then always add 1or 2 yards over what you will think it will take in your bid to cover your butt.Sorry this happened but this is how we learn the rules of the game and just how backstabbing some clients can be.Your firs warning sign should have been when SHE had estimated the amount she needed,should have streightened her out who was doing the estimating right then or walked on the job.