PDA

View Full Version : Senior members..plz double-check my bid.

Pooners
03-01-2001, 11:22 PM
Among the many things I have learned on Lawnsite is to: Get the best equipment you can....and bid properly. I did a great deal of research and found 2 sites that were very helpful. Threads # 8102 and 9581. If you have time...please double-check these numbers.

An Apartment complex that is approx. 50 acres overall. It is currently under construction. High-quality complex.

Approx. 21.3 acres of mowing surface.
Approx. 30,530 linear feet of trim / edging.

Degree of difficulty. This is your typical complex...small areas in front, common areas between buildings. Outer perimeter is somewhat hilly. 2 ponds on the premises. Lots of trees (about 400) will be planted. Not easy (1.5)..but not overly difficult either (3.0). Somewhere in between. I will use 1.50 as difficulty.

Equipment is not a problem. I have a 54", 52" and a 48"wb along with all the trimmings.

Using figures from this site...I come up with the following. Please tell me what you think.

Mowing: Range $28 - $32 per acre or somewhere between $894.60 to $1008.00 per cut.
Trimming / Edging: Range $ .50 - $ .75 per 100 linear ft. $152.65 to $228.97 per trim/edge.

Total bid for Mow & trim/edge somewhere between: $1047.25 to $1236.97.

Before you think I am totally wacky and walked around in 6" of snow to measure all of this...they had the plans in the construction office so I got the numbers from there.

Did I do this right? Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks

Kevin

awm
03-01-2001, 11:31 PM
TRASH is the only thing I can think of that might
affect your deal.GOODLUCK ON IT
and now my consultant fee .02

SWguy
03-02-2001, 12:31 AM
I like the trash idea. Does any of your work include grounds cleaning, or parkways? Just wondering out of curiosity

Runner
03-02-2001, 12:38 AM
Where abouts are you at? 28 to 32 dollars seems a bit pricey for an apartment complex. Sure I realize that there are some out there that may be getting, well, close to this, but the thing, Kevin, that you have to realize about apartment complexes are 3 things. 1, is that they are about the cheapest form of a commercial that you can take on. 2, is that for some reason, they draw ALOT of bids from other services-especially new complexes. (which contributes to #1.) And 3, they will sell you out in a New York minute to save 5 bucks a month. Simply no loyalty. So BE CAREFUL and do not put all your Easter eggs in one basket. I am sure there are many here that would agree. Just trying to help!

KirbysLawn
03-02-2001, 12:53 AM
What about fertilizing and weed control? Ground cover/mulch? Lot of grass area, Dimension will cost $1450 alone, have you figured these items in or will they be separate?

Pooners
03-02-2001, 02:22 PM
Thank you everyone!! Runner....I am located in beautiful Kansas City, MO, home to the greatest BBQ in the world. Not to mention Tommy Watson, the 1985 World Series Champs and the once-proud, now completely wacko KC Chiefs. (Sorry to much Sports Radio today). Any suggestions on pricing this bid. I do not want it bad enough to low-ball it...just want to put together a FAIR bid.

Kirbyslawn...yes! To tired to get into all that when I posted the first question. By the way....your trailer is awesome. I have set that as a short-term goal for myself. A rolling billboard and shop all in one.

OBRYANMAINT
03-02-2001, 04:47 PM
seems about right to me........bid what your comfortable with and yeas as stated make money on it because my experience is th same as runners these places are definately price shoppers bid your high amount!

i would measure it again when the snow is gone and you can visulize the grass areas ....me i would not bid off a blueprint...gatta see it

Greenkeepers
03-02-2001, 05:11 PM
That is alot of trimming and blowing off of walks and drive areas. You have to edge a lot as well.. I think that you're price is reasonable if not a little low. They are nice to get because it is a big contract. However you only get it for one year because they will give it to the next low-baller next year. The only way that I will even talk to a complex is if they'll sign a 3 year contract with incremental increases every year.

plow kid
03-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Alot of aapartment complexes have this idea that it is ok to pay whenever they want to,ex. I got a check on the 15th of january for the balance on the account of a small apartment complex that i mow, hell i had fergotten that they owed me money and vwalla a check came in the mail.
Apartments in the toledo area wont even consider your bid if its over $22 a acre.

kutnkru
03-02-2001, 10:03 PM
Conservative Estimate:
Wet Season: 28/cuts $14,840
Dry Season: 24/cuts $12,720

Competitive Estimate:
Wet Season: 28/cuts $20,720
Dry Season: 24/cuts $17,760

Im glad to see that you were able to put into effect my techniques on estimating. If you would like to discuss my numbers here, send me an e-mail and I will be more than happy to fill you in.

Hope this helps.
Kris

lawrence stone
03-02-2001, 11:41 PM
16 hrs mow at $23/hr=$368
8 hrs trim at $17/hr=$136
total cost $504

30% gpm=$720
35% gpm=$775
40% gpm=$840

65hoss
03-03-2001, 04:34 AM
Hey pooner, whats this about bbq? Ever heard of memphis? Home of bbq, and the world championship contest? lol.

Come on down here, we can show you bbq.

Pooners
03-03-2001, 12:38 PM
65Hoss.....been there, done Graceland...long live the King. Went to a BBQ spot down an alley somewhere off Bourbon street. Down the street from BB Kings on the same side as Presleys. I think those were good directions...I know it was through an alley and down some steps because for some silly reason (lol) I kept bouncing off the alley walls and then, believe it or not, I fell down those darn stairs. It was worth the adventure....the BBQ was awesome. (and so was the entertainment).