PDA

View Full Version : The Job Pics I promised...Please help me in bidding this, as I have to have it quick!

dcplace2004
06-27-2005, 06:48 AM
The waste/recycle place charges 35 dollars a ton for clean green and the person I called said it is the same for commercial...they want these things out by the roots...how would you all bid this?...per bush? Labor? Time to landfill? Etc? Please give me ideas for job1 (13 tall shrubs), job2 (3 tall bushes in front of front door), and job3 (3 big evergreens)...What would I explain to the customer about the charge for the landfill...what would be the right charge on average per Ford F-150 long bed truckload?...would you pull them out by truck and cable if possible?...thanks...

Eddie B
06-27-2005, 07:32 AM
The waste/recycle place charges 35 dollars a ton for clean green and the person I called said it is the same for commercial...they want these things out by the roots...how would you all bid this?...per bush? Labor? Time to landfill? Etc? Please give me ideas for job1 (13 tall shrubs), job2 (3 tall bushes in front of front door), and job3 (3 big evergreens)...What would I explain to the customer about the charge for the landfill...what would be the right charge on average per Ford F-150 long bed truckload?...would you pull them out by truck and cable if possible?...thanks...

Here's what I do when pulling similar bushes, roots and all. There is probably a better way, but i'm limited by my equipment. I use a heavy tow strap and yank them with the truck. Tug and release, use a shovel to loosen the dirt/roots, and repeat until the bush pulls out. I'm guessing you'll spend roughly 10-15 minutes per bush. We charge $20+ for similar bushes.

I'm basing these prices as a whole job.

Job 1: $325
Job 2: $70
Job 3: $75

Haul and dump fee extra. I honestly don't know how many trips you will need to make with that truck.

stuie
06-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Figure maybe two loads on the truck if you pack it right and tie it down.Those conifers can be bulky.
Cut them up as much as possible with a chainsaw and you might only do 1 load.
Figure in your gas money driving time per load.
Say at a rough guess not knowing any solid details you could guess $35 per dump x 35% (or more!) on top to cover fuel etc plus your time say one hour to the dump and return???
so say So say $70 for tip trip?????????

Sorry not solid figures but no details to work on.
Give a total price if you can and say it includes removal to the dump

Remsen1
06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd call a colleague of mine who owns a bulldozer and a loader. I'd let him choose which to use. It would be about 2 hours of excavating work (at most) with that equip and he charges me $150 per hour. Removal and Dumping will probably be around 1 ton. Use a trailer for disposal to cut down on your time.

Costs:
Excavation: $300 ish
Dumping: $40 ish
Equip Fuel: $30 ish
Mileage: need more info. (30 miles guess) @ $1 mile: $30ish
Total: $400 ish + 15% margin of error = $460

Charges:
My Labor 4-6 hours: $120-$180
Excavation: $375
Dumping and Transport: $160
Total: $655- $705

sheshovel
06-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Job #1-$650.00 to $700.00 incl 1 dump run and fee
Job #2-$100.00
Job#3-$150.00 add 1 dump run and fee

sheshovel
06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Yank um out with your truck,use a trenching shovel the long streight ones w/short handle and slice around outsides rootballs 1st.I use chain not strap.Cut enough away from the bottoms to see what your doing.

muddstopper
06-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Hire somone with a stump grinder. Cut shrubs off at ground and load whole or minimal cuts on the truck or your trailer. Have stumpgrinder remove roots. Total time about one hour for removal and loading brush.

Grinding fee about $200
Labor 1 hour for cutting and loading. ( your rate)
Disposal fee+ travel time+ unloading time+ mileage.
30% markup for profit

lawn_jockey
06-28-2005, 01:23 AM
I would guess around 700 total plus dump and gas fee. Prune it down to the stump and Amigos shovel it out while you make the next sale on the tele.

Aussie Topcat
06-28-2005, 06:26 AM
So, how much did you charge & did you get the job. I hope so!

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-29-2005, 05:19 PM

First, rent a large commercial chipper. It will make hauling and disposal much easier and you can most likely get it all on 1 f150 load, assuming you have a full size box.

Dirty Water
07-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I did a similar job last year, shrubs that size, plus an area (20x20 or so square feet) of deep rooted junipers.

I spent $160 to rent a case CX26 mini-ex (I've used its bigger brother to do utility excavation, so I'm really comfortable with it). Using a 12" bucket with a thumb I removed everything and stacked into a burn pile (without having to get off the mini-ex once :) ) in about 45 minutes.

Total cost was $45 for an hours labor + $160 for the rental.

I do this sort of stuff on the side (Irrigation is my business), so I don't charge much.

Anyways, you could do your job's removal in under an hour with a mini-ex, the savings in labor will lower the bill enough to add the rental fee and still be reasonable, and it gives you more time to go do another job.

http://www.casece.com/files/tbl_s85ProductDescription/Image2497/2583/CX25web2.jpg

EDIT: I just wanted to say, don't try to dig those bushes out with the excavator, just drop the bucket down directly ontop of them, crushing them, then curl the thumb and lift. They come up, roots an all, like picking a weed by hand.

dcplace2004
07-04-2005, 02:58 PM
as it is for someone I know, and they give me job, after job, after job...In one way I felt obligated to cut them a good price, but I have to be careful...if it had been for anyone else I would have charged more...thanks everyone for the info, as it did help in my decision...

Dirty Water
07-04-2005, 03:01 PM
What was your technique for removal? You really should try using a miniex :)

redoak77
07-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I think ur price is right inline. $700.00 IMO how did u do it and how long did it take.

Lawn Sharks
07-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Offer it two ways. You haul away and they pay dump fee or you rent a chipper and put the chips in some bed he has around the house. Granted they are not going to be pretty chips but most houses have an out of the way spot for chips. You can always do a thin coat of nice mulch over it.

As for the shrubs I would chop em off a few feet above the ground. Go around each root ball with a shovel then yank em with a backhoe and strap or, if the soil is sandy, just use a truck. I wouldn't be using an excavator without having all the utilities marked beforehand.

Mancinioldhorse
07-05-2005, 05:48 PM
What I would do is:
1. cut em off about 1 foot off the ground.
2. dig out around the roots and cut the spreaders
3. hook a chain to your truck and the remaining roots and just tug it out.
They don't go down very deep..fairly shallow roots
total about 15-20 minutes per shrub. not counting time to cut em up into smaller pieces.

If you have a chain saw I'd cut em up into smaller pieces to save on the trips to the landfill and save on dump fees.

I don't know what your dump fees are in spokane but for a FULL truck load here in vancouver its about 25-40 bucks for yard debris (10-15 bucks a yard) depending on the site....and about 65 bucks for a full trailer load.

just charge for time + dump fees + gas Or don't charge for gas and add travel time in as job time.