PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me price a wall?

1BadHawk
06-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I have a customer (lawn care) who asked if I would put up a small retaining wall in her front yard to help level out the flower bed. Her main entrance sits about 3' higher then the lowest point in the yard, sloping away from the door.

The wall will be about 15' long and 3' at its highest point. Building it wont be a problem, Ive done similar walls on my own property, but pricing it is my concern. Im not really sure how to estimate this job.

Can someone give me some ideas. Perhaps some photos of small walls you may have done, with approximate pricing so I can get a rough idea.

I get $40/hr labor for lawn care, so Im thinking cost of materials + 25%, + Labor, + any special tool rentals needed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Im not looking to make a lot of money on this since it would be my first commercial job, but I dont want to lose any either. Looking to learn from this job for potential others. Thanks for you help in advance.

mbella
06-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Why do you charge $40.00 per hour for lawn care? Do you charge $40.00 per man hour because you need to in order to recover overhead and make a profit, or because it sounds good? If you have actually taken the time to figure out that you need to charge $40.00 per man hour in order to recover overhead and make a profit then use that same number in order to figure your price for the wall (Materials + (estimated man hours x hourly rate).

I don't think the 25% markup on materials will fly. Your customer can buy the materials for about the same price as you can.

1BadHawk
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Correct. Given the expenses $40 per hour is where I need to be to cover ovehead costs and still make a profit.

The 25% actually is %10-15% over the retail cost. I mark up materials %25 over my costs which generally is %10-15% less retail. This also includes any delivery fees as well. So in the end, the customers material costs is usually only a few dollars more than retail and they dont have to wory about picking it up, or delivery, and such.

Works well for me so far, so thats about what I was thinking for stone as well.

northmichigan
06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
if i was to do a 3x15 fieldstone wall on a 9a gravel base with landscape fabric underneath i'd say sight unseen around $950.
good stonin'
mj
I have a customer (lawn care) who asked if I would put up a small retaining wall in her front yard to help level out the flower bed. Her main entrance sits about 3' higher then the lowest point in the yard, sloping away from the door.

The wall will be about 15' long and 3' at its highest point. Building it wont be a problem, Ive done similar walls on my own property, but pricing it is my concern. Im not really sure how to estimate this job.

Can someone give me some ideas. Perhaps some photos of small walls you may have done, with approximate pricing so I can get a rough idea.

I get $40/hr labor for lawn care, so Im thinking cost of materials + 25%, + Labor, + any special tool rentals needed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Im not looking to make a lot of money on this since it would be my first commercial job, but I dont want to lose any either. Looking to learn from this job for potential others. Thanks for you help in advance.

1BadHawk
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
hanks NM. I should have posted some pictures as to the site. I guess thats about where I was looking price wise.

I havnt priced out the material yet. Will try to get that done this week.