PDA

View Full Version : Newly laid sod

SeaBass05
06-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I recently laid my first lawn. I started by tilling the old soil and amending it with peat moss and dehydrated manure. I then raked the soft soil to the finished grade. I rolled the soil with a water roller but made sure the soil was still soft and fluffy. I then put down the sod and rerolled the fresh sod. It's been a little over a week and I've been watering the lawn 2 times a day for about 15-30 min a clip. The new sod is so soft. The ground is very spongy and you nearly feel like you can sink right through. Is this because of all the watering? Will the ground eventually firm up as I reduce the watering and the sod takes root? Did I do something wrong by not compacting the soil more before laying the sod? I know, a lot of questions... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bings
06-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Me too, I am wondering the same things. Just did mine 6 days ago.

sheshovel
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you put in a bunch of dry peatmoss (not a good idea)and now it has water it is expanding tremendously in the soil that was not rolled firm enough and not rolled properly working one direction then again crossways with a 1/2 full roller.then you fill in low spots,roll again then you rake.

SeaBass05
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
so, is there any way to correct the problem?

sheshovel
06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
It depends on if you did do what I quessed you did.If you did all you can do is reroll with a heavy roller when the lawn is wet and do it both directions and hope for the best.unless you want to pull it up and start over .
The soil should firm up after the roots are in the ground.

SeaBass05
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, I definitely added the peat moss dry when I tilled the soil. And I only rolled the sod in one direction. The sod is already beginning to take root so taking it up is out of the question. But perhaps re-rolling while the ground is wet is a good idea.

General Grounds
06-27-2005, 11:26 PM
:blob3: the peat probably wasnt a good idea it also keeps the soil moist longer than the turf needs and COULD become a fungus problem down the road. i usually just harley rake the soil add some lime and install sod, than starter fert when im done been doing for ten years now and has worked very well, tony

SeaBass05
06-28-2005, 10:16 AM
OK, so we have established that the peat moss was a bad idea. but now that it's down and I can't afford to rip up the sod, remove the soil and start over, is there anything that can be done to remedy the problem with the spongy sod? Will time fix the problem? Is re-rolling it the best option? Should I reduce the watering to let the ground dry out a bit? Besides the spongy sod the lawn looks amazing! Greener then any turf around.

GreenUtah
06-29-2005, 07:35 PM
reroll it and don't be worried about the peat, at least you made an attempt to bulk the organics in the soil instead of flopping on 2 inches of "topsoil". On 4-inch popups(guessing, you didn't say) you are running your water too long, effectively floating your area. Go to short 5-10 minute second cycles daily until your turf has taken a good hold then gradually increase your durations and lessen the frequency. By the time you make your third mowing, you should be close to being able to go to regular watering cycles for established turf in your area.

SeaBass05
06-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Thats all I needed to hear. You hit the nail on the head about the condition of the old soil. Basically what was down was builder-grade "top soil." I already adjusted the watering and the lawn seems to be firming up. I'm going to reroll the lawn to help things firm up a bit more. Thanks again for all the help!

Bings
06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Now another question, How long do you wait before mowing for the first time??

Thanks

GreenUtah
06-30-2005, 03:19 PM
you will need to wait until the "hand pull" test fails to lift any sod. How long will that be? That depends on how vigorous of a rooter you have. Often three weeks is a good time to evaluate how close you are by going through and giving it a tug test. Do not mow until it passes this. Not only could you suck turf up, but cutting the grass could stress the lawn if it does not have enough root yet to support the "fix" of the cut.

sheshovel
06-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Seabass I believe I did answer your question in post #5.
And you already knew that cutting down your water would firm up the soil so why ask ?.I did not tell you to "worry about the peat"just was trying to evaluate the situation and tell you what might be causeing the problem.
Am very sorry if I did not answer to your satisfaction