PDA

View Full Version : BIg Question

cedarcroft
06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I have 2 decent size properties (3/4 acre and 1/2 acre) that both need the lawns demo'd and renovated. neither customer wants to spring for sod. they both want it seeded. I have to do one by July 13th so I am worried about the grass growing. it is a wide open area, with almost no shade and it has been HOT here the last few days.
any suggestions on how to succesfully do this? ANy seed ideas?
thanks in advance

PLM-1
06-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Sounds like hydroseed would be your best bet...just water water water

steve in Pa.
06-27-2005, 11:54 PM
every hydro-seeded yard I have seen around here has been terrible. They sell the faster green but in reality it take just as long as seeding and straw. I have seen the nicest yard's come in the heat of summer if the homeowner doesn't mind watering it.

cedarcroft
06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
we are doing all the grading and prep prior to July 13th which is when the sprinkler company is installing a system. so irrigation and watering should be no problem. I am just worried about the direct sun heating up the soil and effing it up.

GreenUtah
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
you are certainly going to need a mulch layer to help hold the water in the heat, but as they said, if you can run multiple shorts runs on the irrigation each day, it will germinate in just fine.

sjj14
06-30-2005, 12:34 PM
any time I am forced to seed in the heat of the summer I will not do it unless they agree to use an erosion matt.(Futura) It comes in rolls and staples down with sod staples. If you dont use this seed will come in slow and thin. It is a bigger expense than straw but the results are clear. I have done lawns 50/50 straw and futura due to expense and always had to go back and reseed in Sept. in the straw areas while futura areas just needed a pitch fork and hand seeding to fill in small areas. the main problem with seeding this time of year in the northeast is you either get heavy weed infestation or death from fungus due to high humidity and mis managed watering. Good luck on the projects, Steve