PDA

View Full Version : Curb Hopping

dhenegar
03-02-2001, 01:11 PM
I recently bid a commercial contract (my first). Don't know if I got it yet, but the only thing is it has alot of islands in it. I have a Laser Z and a surfer and have never had to do any curb hopping. Just wondering how you guys handle this. The curbs are about 6-8 inches I think. Will my mowers get up over them and can I do this without scraping my decks real bad? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

lsylvain
03-02-2001, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure. I only have w/b's but if you can't figure a way out. I'd just keep a couple of 2x8's on the trailer. I do a lot of places with large retaining wall's and such so it's a must for me to have my ramps with me.

watatrp
03-02-2001, 01:54 PM
Standard practice to go up and down curbs is to approach them backwards and at an angle. If you can raise the deck that helps to keep the deck from scraping.

JJ Lawn
03-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Walker makes a 36" polyurethane wedge for getting over curbs that also acts as a foot rest on the 42" and 48" decks. I don't use it very often but when I do, it saves a lot of wear on the mower. As the Walker sits a little lower than some mowers I have gotten hung up jumping curbs without it. Good investment for me.

I would check with your mower manufacturer, or one could be easily made with a couple of short pieces of 2X6 cut at an angle and a piece of plywood. Save some wear an tear on your deck, tires, or whatever.

Jim

[Edited by JJ Lawn on 03-02-2001 at 06:17 PM]

bridges
03-02-2001, 02:10 PM
I Agree with watatrp.

I have a john deere ztr 54" deck. I go up the curbs backwards. That is the only way when the curbs are high.

Tony

mdb landscaping
03-02-2001, 02:50 PM
if you already dont have one, get a lazer z deck lift assist put on. the foot pedal is convenient for going up curbs because all you have to do is put your foot down.

Scott H
03-02-2001, 03:34 PM
Just get a 2X10 and cut it into 2 3' sections and use them as ramps to get up on the curb.

Scott

TJLC
03-02-2001, 05:21 PM
I have some little islands that I have to do and I just find it easier to use my 21". They are small areas though. If they were large then I would think the ramps idea would work well.

Grassman
03-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Like TJLC, I usually do them with the 21inch. We always try to cut them as low as possible though so as to only have to mow them every other time.

awm
03-02-2001, 07:08 PM
If you are talking a lot of islands I would
get one aluminum ramp 6 ft and cut it in to.
You could probably leave it at the site unless
you need it other places. Fix you a place to hangit on back of ztr then just jump of an put your ramp down when needed.

jrblawncare
03-02-2001, 07:58 PM
Ever see the ramp kit for use with 2x6 for in and out of trucks....I use two 2x6's at 24" with that ramp kit,works for me with my walkbehinds.JRB

HOMER
03-02-2001, 09:40 PM
Getting up a curb is sometimes the easy part, getting off can be a problem if you try to come off square. When you climb it get one wheel up first, get your other wheel up next then square up and make sure your front tires have flipped around backwards. Get the frt wheels to the curb and pull back on the handles, may need a few inches of running start sometimes. When you need to get off make sure you get one corner of the deck on top of the curb first, if you try to come off square you may get it hung up where it won't go forward or backwards, then the back has to go to work.........I'm six foot 5 inches and go about 240,:D........ sometimes them mowers get heavy.

Practice makes perfect!

bob
03-02-2001, 10:10 PM
Here's a different approach, if the islands are small, why not spray them with a plant growth regulator(PGR). This will save you cutting time.

dhenegar
03-03-2001, 07:38 PM
Thanks Guys! I think I will try these ideas and see which one works best.

visions landscape
03-03-2001, 10:25 PM
Walker makes a curb hopper fo there mowers, might work for your mower. Or take RR tie cut the with you need use Chain saw and cut at angle and see if that works. Jumping curb at angle works but is not good for bottom of machine or the turf because one wheel can hang and the other will spin on the grass

Skookum
03-04-2001, 03:08 AM
I use a 4x4 for my Toro walk behind. Tried without it years ago when I first got the unit. Dented the back of the frame coming off a curb too high the first time off a curb, and dented the belt housing on the drive wheel the next one down. Now I carry the 4x4 on the deck carrier everywhere I have a curb to jump up or down.

I have never attempted jumping up or down with my older Toro Zmaster. The tires are much smaller than todays models and there are too many points of possible damage, so I use the trailer drop gate to just unload over the curb at the few accounts that I need over curb access.

awm
03-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Homer if you that big you must just be a peaceful
man.I think you know what I mean.Some that big
let it affect their way of dealing with folks.
I never thought highly of that, so I compliment you.