PDA

View Full Version : changing the heights for a shorter cut

dmk395
03-02-2001, 07:12 PM
I was just wondering of the popular 48" wb is the adjustments for cutting heights the easiest. Basically what I mean is, which machine allows for a cutting height change from 3" to say 2.75" in the shortest times. The reason i ask is that I will be making a purchase soon and cut some yards shorter than others, and dont want to pull out my wrenches to change cutting heights. Any thoughts?

SJR Lawncare
03-02-2001, 07:58 PM
I know the Scag ultimate deck adjusts very quickly. The ultimate deck package is substancially more money though.

SJR

kutnkru
03-03-2001, 12:03 AM
To avoid your wrenches you will have to purchase a full floating deck. These are available from MTD to Toro. Otherwise with a fixed deck you will have to adjust the decks at the fromt casters to avoid using the wrenches to change blade spacers, which we all know is a real PITA.

Hope this helps.
Kris

MIDSOUTH
03-03-2001, 12:26 AM
If you will be just changing the height a 1/4 of an inch a fixed deck would be fine, just set it up so all you have to move is the spcers on the front castors for that small of an adjustment.

HOMER
03-03-2001, 12:35 AM
You might be able to get that much adjusting your air pressure. I know I can make slight changes on my Choppers doing this. You would have to experiment with it on your driveway to see how much you would need to add or take away.

Just a thought!

65hoss
03-03-2001, 04:13 AM
Fixed deck: pull a pin, move spacers, drop front caster, add or remove spacer, put caster back in, put in pin.

20 second job. No tools, no trouble.

Richard Martin
03-03-2001, 08:17 AM
Gravely probably has the fastest and cleanest way to change the cutting height of a fixed deck. You pull 2 pins on the side of the deck, put it at the height you want and put the pins back in. Then you do the same on the other side of the deck. They even have a nifty handle to raise and lower the deck with. No grease, no fuss, no muss!

dmk395
03-03-2001, 11:56 AM
By changing the spacers on the front caster, wont that cause the cut to be uneven, or does the whole deck just slide downward?

linky
03-03-2001, 12:14 PM
On my 36 wb I always adjust the height by the blade spacers.Please tell me if this is wrong-I thought that the front of the deck should always be 1/4 of an inch lower than the rear for the best cut. I am kinda new to this, it seems to work well for me. Is this the best way?

Esby
03-03-2001, 05:03 PM
I had a 36" once and I hated changing the height on it. Not that it was that tough, but it was just a pain. I traded it in and bought a Exmark 48" metro HP, with this unit you just pull a couple pins, adjust to desired height, and replace them. I guess its all in the idea of a floating deck, the 48" metro has a fixed deck, so you need to get the HP. Look around at floating decks that meet your eye. I personally would reccomend a metro HP or a Turf Tracer, both of which are made by Exmark.

MikeGA
03-03-2001, 06:47 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Hustler WB have 4 pins supporting the deck with washers to do the fine tuning?

joshua
03-04-2001, 01:47 AM
my metro 48 by exmark has 4 pins and it takes me about 20 secs to change the heaight, not a single problem with it in 3 years. the cut is truely second to none.