PDA

View Full Version : Double Blades on Toro WB...?

Cleve
03-02-2001, 08:27 PM
I realize this topic has been on many, many times. And I almost hate to ask again.
I have a Toro 36" WB with two blades.
Each blade is mounted into a channel that wraps around the blade and is held in place with a "cupped" cover with a slot that also wraps over the blade. A single bolt goes through these.
I really want to try the double blades to see if the cut can get any better.
Just how do you add a second blade to a setup like this?
I just don't like fooling around with these mountings with the speeds the things revolve at unless it is done safely. I just can't see any way to add the second blade.
Thanks for any info.
Cleve.

Cleve
03-03-2001, 08:39 PM
I guess nobody has a Toro with double blades.

Or it can't safely be done.

Cleve.

lawrence stone
03-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Install one 5/8 flat washer between both blades.

Cleve
03-04-2001, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I Still didn't think that would work until I tried it.
Because of the depth of the channel the top blade fits into, I had to use two 5/8 in. ID washers to get the second or bottom blade to clear the channel. I then put the blade cover on the second blade and I believe it tightened up fairly well. Really thought I would have to cut additional slots in this cover to make it fit. But may not have to.

I did notice that this lowers the bottom blade enough that it drops below the cutter deck about 3/8 in. or so. Of course this can be corrected by raising the deck adjustments? I generally cut fairly high but do have 1 more adjustment left on the lifts and hope it will be enough.

I figure I will experiment using a couple of old standard blades before trying a Gator or other mulching type on top.

Does this sound about right? Thanks.
Cleve.