PDA

View Full Version : Here's some real competition

coastallandscapesolutions
06-30-2005, 08:32 PM
For all of you that moan and grown about scrubs, I saw this today driving by. He's cutting 1/2 acre yards for $10.00 and works sun up to sun down. Go figure.

LightningLawns
06-30-2005, 08:35 PM
how do you know how much he is cutting the yards for?

06-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Here's another shot.

06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
how do you know how much he is cutting the yards for?

We saw him later that day and asked him. The customer came up also while we were there and paid him the $10.

LightningLawns
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
That is insane, how long do you think it takes him to mow that 1/2 acre, with his stuff? He would be better off working fast food!

DUSTYCEDAR
06-30-2005, 09:03 PM
u have to pay taxes when u flip burgers

gogetter
06-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I almost feel bad for a guy like that. If he's willing to work sun up to sun down, then he's obviously a hard worker, he's just not smart enough to know that he can and should be charging more for his hard work.

I'd probably point him to lawnsite, and hope that he has enough sense to take the info from here and make something of all his hard work.

Appalachian landscape
06-30-2005, 09:08 PM
point him to what? hire the guy and pay him $11 /hr I bet he can't get one yard all the way finished in one hour. That would be "good money" for this fellow. It's hard to find help that can endure the heat all day.

Envy Lawn Service
06-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Looks like a lot of the "rigs" I see around here. Especially the hoodless '79 model 10hp 38" gear drive lawn tractor. He's in-line on pricing too....

txlawnking
06-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I almost feel bad for a guy like that. If he's willing to work sun up to sun down, then he's obviously a hard worker, he's just not smart enough to know that he can and should be charging more for his hard work.

I'd probably point him to lawnsite, and hope that he has enough sense to take the info from here and make something of all his hard work.

Lawnsite?? I'm kinda doubting the dude even owns a computer..

I've heard of cheap guys, but 1/2 an acre, for $10?? what does he net 10 cents a job? I feel bad for the guy too.

OMG
06-30-2005, 10:08 PM
I agree with Appalacian.....except pay him $8 per hr.

:cool2:

06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
I got his number. To work for me he would have to buy some new cloths. They are pretty ratty. He does 15 yards a day, 7 days a week. He is a really nice guy. His work is quality I must admit.

I think the missing hood on the vintage lawn tractor probably was removed to reduce wind drag as he is cutting.

lawncare4u
06-30-2005, 10:33 PM
:waving:

Why hagle the guy,at least he is working!Got to start somewhere.He is probably doing the best he can.I get the feeling that some of of you guys think you're above the not so blessed.Just because someone has a shiney truck and big mowers don't mean s,,,!He is probably proud of what he has,no need to down him for working. :waving:

jasonnau
06-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I hope he can afford another mower, because that one won't hold up for very long. After he gets hit with a couple hundred dollar repair bill he'll be out.

Grassboy 101
06-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, 15 yards at $10 = $150 per day times 7 days = $1050. That is not bad income compared to his investment. At least he is working, and probably netting more than a lot of people on this board, especially solos or those with 1 employee. I agree he needs to raise his prices, but until you have walked in his shoes don't think you know it all.

topsites
06-30-2005, 11:02 PM

It *is* kinda funny, but 3.5 years ago my outfit wasn't THAT much hotter (only the trailer, the weedeater and the bp blower were brand-new, my truck was a 1974 F-250 with like 400k miles on it, the Wb's were two 8 year olds, and I'll quit while I'm a little ahead of the game but yes, you have to start somewhere.

It's a fair price for the deal. And if it isn't, he'll be the first one to figure it out.

pagefault
06-30-2005, 11:09 PM
I feel real bad for him and all the others like him. Yeah, he could be flipping burgers. Hell, he could be standing at any major intersection in Austin with a goddamn cardboard sign, begging for money.

I would have had no qualms about telling him that he was leaving money on the table. There's no reason anyone should have to work that hard for that little. Besides, I'd rather turn him into a solid competitor than wait for him to become another tax burden.

Mowgli
06-30-2005, 11:22 PM
We saw him later that day and asked him. The customer came up also while we were there and paid him the $10.

He cut 1/2 acre for $10. You don't have any prove for you statement. Too bad that he was not here to defense himself. I preferred seeing guy like that, than the one that go rob the bank. Some times, a man got to do what he got to do, to survive.

06-30-2005, 11:24 PM
One other point. He is doing 105 yards a week based on the info he gave. I have no doubt he does them all too. $1050 a week with a 42 week season here.... you can do the math.

How many of you solo's have 105 yards per week?

liquidforcedude7
06-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Well hes probably doing what any sane person whould do think "O I can make twice as much as I do at a at macdonalds so why not change careers"?

Dashunde
07-01-2005, 12:04 AM
First... I wanna know who is letting him park that mess infront of the house.
Second... HOW is he getting the work? How does he present himself?
Third... Proud of him for bustin a$$.

Envy Lawn Service
07-01-2005, 12:07 AM
First... I wanna know who is letting him park that mess infront of the house.
Second... HOW is he getting the work? How does he present himself?
Third... Proud of him for bustin a$$.

One answer....

The customer says.... "for 10 bucks... who cares!"

Envy Lawn Service
07-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Oh... and this guy is working way hard for too little... but still making a good living.

$44K a year less minor expenses... less under $1K in equipment.
No taxes...
No insurance...
No nothing...

I'd bet on it!
I'd also bet he's clearing more than MANY solo members here.

But doing so by scrubbin out and bending all the rules.

yrdandgardenhandyman
07-01-2005, 01:20 AM

You think he owns a computer?

yrdandgardenhandyman
07-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey guys, 15 yards at $10 = $150 per day times 7 days = $1050. That is not bad income compared to his investment. At least he is working, and probably netting more than a lot of people on this board, especially solos or those with 1 employee. I agree he needs to raise his prices, but until you have walked in his shoes don't think you know it all.

Expenses. You guys always forget expenses. He isn't making $10.00/ yard. He's charging $10.00/ yard. How much for gas, insurance, income tax, social security, etc etc? And don't give me that, "He doesn't pay insurance or taxes." If you gross more than $5000.00/ year (hobby level) you must pay income tax. If he doesn't he is flat out illegal. Why doesn't the government go after these guys?
What happens if he puts somebody's eye out? Without insurance he's done for a lonnnnnnnnnng time.
I've got to give these people credit for guts but they need an education. He is screwing himself and every LCO in your area by leaving so much money on the table. Nobody here wants to gouge the customers. We just want to make a fair living. We work hard, harder than any job I've ever had, and I worked in a grey iron foundry for 7 years, and we should get a decent return on our labor.

burns60
07-01-2005, 01:42 AM
One other point. He is doing 105 yards a week based on the info he gave. I have no doubt he does them all too. $1050 a week with a 42 week season here.... you can do the math.

I admire this guy for his work ethics, and don't doubt he is a hard worker. But, 105 yards a week with that rig. I just don't believe it would hold up. Got my doubts that he would either.

j&c
07-01-2005, 05:53 AM
At least he is working instead of asking for a handout and sitting on his rump while we pay his light bill come on guys\gals give it a break with all the jobs gone on the east coast and more leaving people have to do something... I guess they should just let their family starve to death or sleep on the street... thats all you hear on this site lately is people who can not look after their own business and turn a profit.. is it his fault he owes nothing on his equipment and I owe 3 yrs on mine???........ NO!! are your kids,wife, or even your dog hungry or worried how they are going to eat, sleep, or dress I highly doubt it or would you rather support him through your paycheck while he rides an escalade and lives rent and utilities free. What really needs to be said I cannot say but the point is if you can cut for $50 fine if you can cut the same for $10 and make enough to eat sleep drink and be merry well so be it think of the money you could make if you put in half the effort this one puts in... at this point I cannot call any of us professional...
I have seen to many lose what they have worked hard for for years and have to do what ever they can to survive you want to make a change write your congressman and ask them why are all the jobs going to foreign soil instead of keeping them here where they belong instead of knocking someone for trying to make and keep their pride and head above water...think about it before you run off at the mouth this could be you in the blink of an eye.............

yrdandgardenhandyman
07-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I have seen to many lose what they have worked hard for for years and have to do what ever they can to survive you want to make a change write your congressman and ask them why are all the jobs going to foreign soil instead of keeping them here where they belong instead of knocking someone for trying to make and keep their pride and head above water...think about it before you run off at the mouth this could be you in the blink of an eye.............

And keep voting Republican. Gotta keep them wages low.

Tharrell
07-01-2005, 06:07 AM
I DON'T want to make anyone mad but, I hate these kinds of posts. The reason? I see someone who would rather DO SOMETHING rather than sit on his butt and wait for public assistance. I wish we could get away from this kind of stuff.

John Gamba
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
I DON'T want to make anyone mad but, I hate these kinds of posts. The reason? I see someone who would rather DO SOMETHING rather than sit on his butt and wait for public assistance. I wish we could get away from this kind of stuff.

In connecticut, they work like this and collect. payup

John

ProLawns
07-01-2005, 08:28 AM

Stop knocking solos. I work solo sometimes but usually my son helps me. Yesterday we did 22 yards for a total of $1068. We beat this guys weekly gross in one day. We were home by 6:30. I don't have a problem with him except that he probably isn't claiming all of his income and paying his share of taxes which is fraud.

ProLawns
07-01-2005, 08:40 AM
I charge $45 for a half an acre. I know for a fact that NONE of my customers would drop me to hire this guy for $10. It's too much of a gamble for them. It's a shame he doesn't know the market would allow him to make more money for less work.

razzo
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Who would want his customers?

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Who would want his customers?
Not me. Too far to drive :p

walter2
07-01-2005, 10:32 AM
hire him now!!! he will make you lots of money :D

walter2
07-01-2005, 10:37 AM
I also used to work out of the back of my car with just one used push mower. now I have two walk behinds two trucks and most important a huge house and rental properties :) we all have to start somewhere but when i started i was only 17

Runner
07-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't care what anyone says...if he's doing 1/2 acre lots, I guarantee he isn't doing 15 a day. I can't do 15 a day with a LAZER!

Carolina Cutter
07-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Yea that equals AT LEAST $6,747.30 in unpaid Social Security taxes......LOL

I don't fault him for trying to at least work.....but at those numbers of yards and weeks per season.....he should AT LEAST ante up and pay the taxes.

Oh.........sorry I missed you at bike week...maybe we will try again in the fall....I had one hell of a time though.

Carolina Cutter
07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Herre's another face you might recognize....

Carolina Cutter
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Whew that is a bad pic.....too much rain....and too much BEER.....LOL ;)

drmiller100
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
if he steps up and buys a ztr he'll put you out of business.

think about it. he obviously has lower overhead then anyone on here. he obviously is willing to work hard. he obviously has a bunch of customers. his marketing is a GOOD GOOD idea. He catches customer's eyes, he stands out from his competition, and he presents a compelling sales pitch for MANY customers.

so what is the hardest part in this business? finding good helpers, and getting the first 35 customers.

i've parked the superduty and found an older truck to mow with. customers like their lawn guys to drive older rigs.

MJhnson Lawn
07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not mad at him, I'm a part time LCO and this guy is whipping my
a$$, maybe I ought to try it with good equipment and charge probaly
20.00 a yard.

Remsen1
07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
For $10 per yard, it doesn't surprise me that he mows all day long everyday.

It might be a stretch to say he actually cuts 105 yards cause that would be 15 x 7 days per week (doesn't rain in your town?). But let's say 15 x 5 days per week that's 75 lawns per week. He doesn't have any expenses now, but he is in a good position (with 75 accounts) to go legit, and if he only raised them by $5 apiece, that would be a $375 raise per week and he could afford to convince a lender to lend him the money for an older pickup a nicer trailer and a more efficient mower, pay insurance and taxes. Then the next year raise them all another $5 lose some customers, while picking up other to fill their openings and gross another $375 per week. Not huge money, but an adequate living and he'd get home earlier each day.

I'd say he is in a good position. Whether he takes it to the next level or burns out that's another question.

If he was in my area, I'd hire him for $10 per hour, buy his accounts them pay him to do them with good equipment and we both would be taking home more money per week.

ed2hess
07-01-2005, 11:24 PM
I admire this guy and feel for him. A lot of guys would beg on the corner and probably make more than he does. He probably isn't working to go to Vegas or put his kid through college he needs basic food and yea maybe drink. If I did that many yards solo I would need a lot of beer!! Regarding all the post on taxes, give the guy a break if he don't pay in SS he won't get any, and regarding income tax nobody pays if they are making less than $30K anyway. Maybe he won't become a TAX Burden!!

dlandscaping
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
and maybe he is collecting unemployment

07-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't care what anyone says...if he's doing 1/2 acre lots, I guarantee he isn't doing 15 a day. I can't do 15 a day with a LAZER!

I doubt that you are working as many hours as he is. I see hin pass us at Hardees at 6:00 AM almost every morning and he works until sundown.

His yards seem to almost be in a row. When I saw him mowing he was doing 6 yards at one time.

Carolina Cutter
07-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I admire this guy and feel for him. A lot of guys would beg on the corner and probably make more than he does. He probably isn't working to go to Vegas or put his kid through college he needs basic food and yea maybe drink. If I did that many yards solo I would need a lot of beer!! Regarding all the post on taxes, give the guy a break if he don't pay in SS he won't get any, and regarding income tax nobody pays if they are making less than $30K anyway. Maybe he won't become a TAX Burden!!

Yea but if Coastal's numbers are right he is making about $44,100.00 a year....UM TAX BURDEN..........

jasonnau
07-02-2005, 08:52 PM
He probably lives in his car, has a raging cocaine habit, and has to work that hard just to pay for his addictions. At night he drives around the ghetto spending his hard money on bjs and crack. Then, he picks up his food stamps and government assistance check at the p.o. box. Then again maybe not, but you never know.

lawnman_scott
07-02-2005, 11:01 PM
He probably lives in his car, has a raging cocaine habit, and has to work that hard just to pay for his addictions. At night he drives around the ghetto spending his hard money on bjs and crack. Then, he picks up his food stamps and government assistance check at the p.o. box. Then again maybe not, but you never know.yeah probably not, those people dont work too much now do they????