PDA

View Full Version : Whos Doing Concrete Edging?

1BadHawk
06-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Who is doing continious concrete edging? and how is the demand for such service?

mole
06-30-2005, 09:52 PM
I had one customer want it, took me three weeks to find a sub that did it in the buffalo area. not a great demand here.

1BadHawk
07-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I talked to a friend of mine the other day whos brother in law does it in southern maryland. According to him, it seems to be a service that once people see it then they want it. He says, he'll do one home in a community, then within weeks hell have several in that same community.

I think up here around me not many people know of it. I think I may have seen one home with it but thats it. I have noticed more and more people getting into mulch beds, so Im starting to think that I might be able to market and sell it around here prety well.

Not sure what the operating costs are, but I hear the customer cost varies from 3$-7$ per foot. Which sounds prety reasonable.

Dirty Water
07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
You can rent a power curber, just about anyone can do it, you need a concrete mixer and the curber.

http://www.millerspreader.com/image/350.jpg

Or you can form the curb yourself and pour the entire landscape at once with a pump truck.

Two or three guys with mag floats, trowels, and a few edgers can do it by hand quickly.

I used to work in the concrete industry

1BadHawk
07-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I didnt know you could rent them. I suppose you can also rent the different forms for it as well?

I started looking at those turnkey setups but then switched ebay to see about buying the equipment seperate. Getting only what I need, to get started. Ill have to look at the local rentals and see if I can rent one with the necessary equipment. Do a few jobs and see how that goes before I commit to buying the equipment.

Ive done some concrete work, couple patios, walk ways and such. My father in law did it for 30 years, and has helped me learn a fair amount. He has all the hand tools anyway :)

I'd like to get a closer look at one that complete, and even take a look at one being built first.

fishinman22487
07-02-2005, 11:49 PM
concrete edging is really big in FL, its not cheap either!!!!!!!
I think i have heard one guy charge like 10 bucks a foot. Its resonable i guess.

wojo23323
07-03-2005, 08:40 AM
We had one done in our neighborhood. I didn't really care for it. It stands out and takes your focus off of the landscape. That is my opinion.

Markf
07-03-2005, 01:20 PM
There has been zero call for concrete curbing here in CT. However, over Easter the family and I travelled thru the southwest. It seemed that all the new installs had concrete curbing. Must be a regional thing.

Forest
07-03-2005, 03:12 PM
In my part of Minnesota it seems to be a rather big thing. Aside from the fact that they've only been in the area for about 2-3 years, there are now a couple of companies doing it.