PDA

View Full Version : ZD-28 Questions

tnpete
07-01-2005, 02:31 PM
How does the ZD-28 handle with the 72" deck? Does it mow better with the 60" over the 72"?
Also what size trailer are you using to haul the 72" on?
The new financing Kubota has, Does the O% O down cover the Zd?
Sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask how will you find out.

Liked the ride of the Farris 4500 Wed. But did not like not being able to see the deck on the left side. And the cut was OK. Also it was the diesel. And pulled down coming up my hills. but sure did ride good. To bad the Kubota does not ride as good.

Pete

tnpete
07-03-2005, 08:16 PM
OK sorry for asking such a hard Question.
So guessing no one has the Kubota ZD-28 ?
Or has had the pleasure to run the ZD and a Farris 4500 to compare the 2?
Pete

Craftybigdog
07-03-2005, 08:32 PM
I have 2 ZD-28 one with a 60in and another with a 72in

Just put it this way I wont own another type of mower, they are awesome. More than enough power.

I haul them in an enclosed 8X24 trailer

tnpete
07-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I have 2 ZD-28 one with a 60in and another with a 72in

Just put it this way I wont own another type of mower, they are awesome. More than enough power.

I haul them in an enclosed 8X24 trailer

Thanks and would you rather have the 60" or the 72' deck for the cut?
Also thanks
Pete

Mowingman
07-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Not too many people of this forum run the Kubota ZTR's. They are not very popular with commercial LCO's, although a few here do run them. If you do a search on Kubota, you can read about all the hydrostatic drive problems that folks are having with them.
As to deck selection, you will get a much better cut from a 60' deck, than from a 72" deck, no matter who's ZTR you buy. The 72" will give you more side to side rocking than a 60" deck on uneven ground and on side hills.
If you want the Kubota engine, have you thought about looking at the Grasshopper midmount ZTR's. The 322d/61" is a real workhorse, as well as the 428D/61" and 428D/72". The Grasshoppers have a much easier to maintain design, and a more popular and common form of hydro drive components. The Grasshoppers also use a better model of Kubota engines, from the Kubota "Industrial" line, not the farm tractor line of engines. Disclaimer: I am a Grasshopper dealer.

Envy Lawn Service
07-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Yes... I will agree and add that in my opinion Grasshopper owns the diesel market.
I don't care what you compare them to, Grasshopper diesels come out on top.

tnpete
07-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Yes... I will agree and add that in my opinion Grasshopper owns the diesel market.
I don't care what you compare them to, Grasshopper diesels come out on top.
Not on my yard. Could not mow fast enough to get any work done. Yard is hills and rough. So looking for a good ride also.
Demo's so far JD757 way to rough of a ride.
Gravely 260Z but the FI 28 hp motor was not that great. Only ran wide open.
Farris 4500 with the 28 hp cat motor pulls way down when pulling my hills. And hard to see the right side of the deck without leaning over and looking down.
So Kubota is next. I have a Kubota tractor and love the in line 5 diesel in it. And may go with the Kubota even though the ride is not as good as the Farris. But a lot easer to to see the deck on.
Pete

Mowingman
07-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Just curious, what Grasshopper model did you demo on your yard?

PLM-1
07-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm curious too! My 722D shoots right up steep hills. And it even comes down w/o sliding all the way down like midmounts! Also, I HATE the controls on the Kubota ZTR's; weird sums them up pretty well IMO.

specialtylc
07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
I have owned a ZD21 with the 60 inch stamped deck since 2000. I did have a bad bearing on my imput shaft of the trans at 150 hrs. Factory put in complete new updated trans and all has been well. Machine now has 1300 hrs on it, with zero troubles of any kind. I did a demo of the Grasshopper Z with the Kubota engine and it didnt perform as well. I think the Kubotas have the best designed diesel Z riders out there.IE no belts, radiator layout,jack,pivoting deck wheels, hyd pto & deck lift.etc.
If I was to buy another Z it would be a ZD25. The ZD21 could use a little more power for climbing steep hills, but its still better than any 25hp gas engine machine i have run. Hustler, MTD/Lesco, Exmark,Grasshopper,Toro.

tnpete
07-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Just curious, what Grasshopper model did you demo on your yard?
The answer to your question is in my post. None. but did ride one. And I know it would not work in my yard. As the ride was way to rough on it. But thanks for the post.
Also I'm looking at mid mount only.

Pete

tnpete
07-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I have owned a ZD21 with the 60 inch stamped deck since 2000. I did have a bad bearing on my imput shaft of the trans at 150 hrs. Factory put in complete new updated trans and all has been well. Machine now has 1300 hrs on it, with zero troubles of any kind. I did a demo of the Grasshopper Z with the Kubota engine and it didnt perform as well. I think the Kubotas have the best designed diesel Z riders out there.IE no belts, radiator layout,jack,pivoting deck wheels, hyd pto & deck lift.etc.
If I was to buy another Z it would be a ZD25. The ZD21 could use a little more power for climbing steep hills, but its still better than any 25hp gas engine machine i have run. Hustler, MTD/Lesco, Exmark,Grasshopper,Toro.

Thanks that answered one of my questions. On the ZD-21 and hills. Also theres only $300 different between the Zd 25 and the 28 here. so I may go with the 28.
Sure wish the ride was as good as the Farris. But thats life..

Thanks again.
Pete

Mowingman
07-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Do you know that shaft drives use more horsepower than a properly designed belt drive? It is a fact. A drive shaft system will provide less horsepower to a deck or hydro system, than a belt drive will on an identical machine. Belt drives are also much less expensive to maintain than a shaft drive system, assuming that both systems are maintained as recommended by the manufacturer. Just a little food for thought.
A lot of people think that shaft drives are better on a ZTR, when in fact, the exact opposite is true in most cases.

Envy Lawn Service
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
The answer to your question is in my post. None. but did ride one. And I know it would not work in my yard. As the ride was way to rough on it. But thanks for the post.
Also I'm looking at mid mount only.

Pete

So that would pretty much sum it up.....

You should request a demo of a Grasshopper diesel... they do make mid-mounts ya know? In my opinion they have bar none the best diesel mid-mount in the entire industry. Seldom will I go that far out on a limb to sat something is the BEST available. But I really feel they are.

So take a demo, check the tire pressure to make sure it is correct. Then check out the ride quality. You'll be amazed. Then check the weight, ect verses every other diesel mid-mount. Check the feel of the controls. Everything. They come out on top.

The Grasshoppers also feature the Kubota diesel engines you are so fond of. All the while it's mounted on a better machine.

I did a long term demo on a 321D/52" which is a 21hp Kubota diesel with a 52" mid-mount deck. Awesome machine. Awesome power. Awesome ride. Awesome controls. Awesome cut. And it actually out-cut most, even though it had a bent deck. Without question it is the most productive 52" mid-mount mower on the market today and on rough or rolling terrain, they just walk away. They ride better and track straight more naturally.

Your "run of the mill" rigid frame ztrs like your exmarks and such just can't keep up. They don't have the handling at-speed to stay on track cutting clean at-speed. Few have the torque or cutting ability to do it even if they could.

Grasshopper also has a 22hp and a 28hp. I'm not saying Kubota's aren't good machines, even better than many. I just feel Grasshopper is better. Give them a fair chance. DEMO.

PLM-1
07-04-2005, 09:15 PM
So that would pretty much sum it up.....

You should request a demo of a Grasshopper diesel... they do make mid-mounts ya know? In my opinion they have bar none the best diesel mid-mount in the entire industry. Seldom will I go that far out on a limb to sat something is the BEST available. But I really feel they are.

So take a demo, check the tire pressure to make sure it is correct. Then check out the ride quality. You'll be amazed. Then check the weight, ect verses every other diesel mid-mount. Check the feel of the controls. Everything. They come out on top.

The Grasshoppers also feature the Kubota diesel engines you are so fond of. All the while it's mounted on a better machine.

I did a long term demo on a 321D/52" which is a 21hp Kubota diesel with a 52" mid-mount deck. Awesome machine. Awesome power. Awesome ride. Awesome controls. Awesome cut. And it actually out-cut most, even though it had a bent deck. Without question it is the most productive 52" mid-mount mower on the market today and on rough or rolling terrain, they just walk away. They ride better and track straight more naturally.

Your "run of the mill" rigid frame ztrs like your exmarks and such just can't keep up. They don't have the handling at-speed to stay on track cutting clean at-speed. Few have the torque or cutting ability to do it even if they could.

Grasshopper also has a 22hp and a 28hp. I'm not saying Kubota's aren't good machines, even better than many. I just feel Grasshopper is better. Give them a fair chance. DEMO.

Very well said. I have never found a better ride! I didn't like the ride of the fErris. The GH midmount with the low pressure tires has an awesome ride and leaves a really nice cut.

tnpete
07-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks that may be it. I bet the tires had way to much air in them.
I will check one out.
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks that may be it. I bet the tires had way to much air in them.
I will check one out.
Pete

You can about bet on that. Unless the dealer takes the time to set the machines up 100% properly the tires will always be over filled. They are usually filled close to the max in order to seat the beads.

GH run low pressure tires. Even the 24x12-12 turf tires on the diesel mid-mounts should be ran at 8-9 PSI. Once the tires are set to proper inflation you'll realize that they have an inheirently better ride than other rigid frame machines without suspension or deluxe full suspension seating. I'm not really sure how or why. But they do. So it must be in the design.

I took the 321D/52 over some stuff at speed and was nearly thrown completely off the machine, but still did not feel near the jolt like I do from just a rough ride on other machines.

I forget if you are considering a 60 or 72 inch machine. But before you buy do go ahead and check things out. Get a demo on a 322D/61" or 428D/61" or 428D/72" as one of those should fit your needs, price range, and be comparable to the Kubota units. Try both brands, compare apples to apples and then make up your own mind.

Grasshopper has some good financing going on also, or they did when I looked at them. 6 months same as cash followed by 1.9% financing thereafter with minimum payments equaling 2% of the total original amount financed. Not a bad deal, but also not 0% for 36 months like Kubota has sometimes.

shortgut
07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
How does the ZD-28 handle with the 72" deck? Does it mow better with the 60" over the 72"?
Also what size trailer are you using to haul the 72" on?
The new financing Kubota has, Does the O% O down cover the Zd?
Sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask how will you find out.

Liked the ride of the Farris 4500 Wed. But did not like not being able to see the deck on the left side. And the cut was OK. Also it was the diesel. And pulled down coming up my hills. but sure did ride good. To bad the Kubota does not ride as good.

Pete
They are a good piece of equipment but I had the ZD18 with a steel stamped deck. Traded it for the ZD 28 with a 60 pro deck with the speed increaser kit installed on the deck to increase the blade speed I also have a SCAG SABER TOOTH TIGER 31HP dahatsu gas the scag would leave a better cut than what the ZD did plus with ME the scag was better on the hills that I have to mow also the controls on the ZD were oppsite of the Scag so after a long thinking period I sold the ZD 28 and bought Scag Turf Tiger with a 29 hp kaw with a 61" deck I really like the Scag better for what we cut and the time frame of the cuts almost all of my properties take from 1.5 hrs to 40hrs complete,picking up trash ,mowing & weedeating . I have very few yards mostly right of ways and school property

tnpete
07-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Kubota dealer is bringing out a ZD-21 and a Zd-25 next week. And let me try out both here.
Now that is a dealer. When I asked how much difference there was between the motors. He told me that he would bring out both. And if the 28 was there it could come out and play also.. :blob3: payup
Pete

specialtylc
07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
The ZD21 will perform great on 95% of my mowing areas. I do some very steep hillsides and it wont climb them at full speed while mowing. But Im talking about 30 degree slopes and steeper. When I buy another one it will be with the 25hp engine on the 60 inch deck. I think the 28 hp on a 60 inch would be overkill and a waste of fuel.
Dont let anyone mislead you about shaft drives. They are way better than a belt system. Some of the other brands of mowers I have seen have a real mess of pulleys, twisted belts and idlers. With these you are just asking for trouble.

br549oicu8
07-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I have 2 ZD-28's and a ZD-25 all new this year.
They rock and hold a slope fantastic!!

tnpete
07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
The ZD21 will perform great on 95% of my mowing areas. I do some very steep hillsides and it wont climb them at full speed while mowing. But Im talking about 30 degree slopes and steeper. When I buy another one it will be with the 25hp engine on the 60 inch deck. I think the 28 hp on a 60 inch would be overkill and a waste of fuel.
Dont let anyone mislead you about shaft drives. They are way better than a belt system. Some of the other brands of mowers I have seen have a real mess of pulleys, twisted belts and idlers. With these you are just asking for trouble.

That was what I need to know. i have hills that are steep ( will take a picture and try to post) The Gravely 260Z with the 28 Hp EFI would pull it but it was pulling the motor way down.
The 757 John Deere with the 25 Hp K motor would pull it but almost choke down.
The 4500 Farris with the 28 cat would pull it. But the front wheels would not stay on the ground.
So i guess I will find out if the Kubota will pull it about next Thursday or Friday.
Pete

tnpete
07-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I have 2 ZD-28's and a ZD-25 all new this year.
They rock and hold a slope fantastic!!

Does the 25 hp do as good as the 28's on pulling hills?
Also how good of a ride do you get out of them? Any other mowers you can compare the Kubota's ride to?

I like the way the Ferris 4500 rides, But don't like the way the gas tank blocks out the left side of the deck. I had to lean over to see the deck when mowing close to trees.

Pete

br549oicu8
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
The Kubota may not ride as nice as the Ferris but we wre worried about all the extra parts on the IS and the long term maintenance.
The 25 is just less in power but not that noticable. Bouth it cuz they were out of the 28's and it is just a backup. They do real well on a very steep long hill we mow. We are able to do three directions with it.

qps
07-07-2005, 11:04 PM
They are a good piece of equipment but I had the ZD18 with a steel stamped deck. Traded it for the ZD 28 with a 60 pro deck with the speed increaser kit installed on the deck to increase the blade speed I also have a SCAG SABER TOOTH TIGER 31HP dahatsu gas the scag would leave a better cut than what the ZD did plus with ME the scag was better on the hills that I have to mow also the controls on the ZD were oppsite of the Scag so after a long thinking period I sold the ZD 28 and bought Scag Turf Tiger with a 29 hp kaw with a 61" deck I really like the Scag better for what we cut and the time frame of the cuts almost all of my properties take from 1.5 hrs to 40hrs complete,picking up trash ,mowing & weedeating . I have very few yards mostly right of ways and school property

I also have a zd28 60 and a new scag 61 29 kaw fuel injected, I like the scag better and wouldn't have another zd, I love the engine but the tran's/hydro/pto whatever is a accident waiting to happen...couldn't work on it if I had to, I know I can change a hydro pump or wheel motor on the scag if I have to....I like the direct drive of the scag and zd, it may take more horsepower to run, but I've never had a probelm with any of them, can't say the same for a pulley belt set up ( replacing belt, pulleys, slipping in tall or wet grass) no thanks...drive shaft for me..

PLM-1
07-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Does the 25 hp do as good as the 28's on pulling hills?
Also how good of a ride do you get out of them? Any other mowers you can compare the Kubota's ride to?

I like the way the Ferris 4500 rides, But don't like the way the gas tank blocks out the left side of the deck. I had to lean over to see the deck when mowing close to trees.

Pete

Try out the Mid-deck Grasshopper. It WILL ride better especially with the LP Bartread tires. Give a 322D and 428D a try. I really can't tell much difference between the new 22 hp diesel and the 28 hp diesel; huge difference between the 21 diesel. My 22 diesel is also "kicked up a notch". It's running like a 428 diesel, but on the medium sized frame.