PDA

View Full Version : Different Border

mbella
07-01-2005, 09:32 PM
We just finished a patio where the homeowner requested a "different" border. We decided to try the one that is on the cover of the EP Henry 2005 catalog. The only difference, we used different pavers than they did and we had tighter radii.

I have to say, when seeing this job in person, the border makes the job sparkle.

The pics I am posting were taken before we swept in the polymer. Also, some of the joints are a little loose, but this border wasn't easy with the tight radii.

RedWingsDet
07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
dang that looks really good!!!

cgland
07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Mike - That looks great! I'm very impressed at how tight your joints are. Awesome detail. I think you could have added a trip step for a real "custom" feel! :D

Chris

Starman
07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
That border is just plain awesome! Very nice .

Frontier-Lawn
07-01-2005, 11:41 PM
so how hard would it be to cut out sections of a side walk and put that in?

mbella
07-01-2005, 11:46 PM
20 man hours and a lot of wear on a diamond blade, for our project. I don't know the scope of yours.

Frontier-Lawn
07-01-2005, 11:53 PM
personal home 20' x 4' and want to cut at the exp joint to put in a paver break evey 5'

mbella
07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
personal home 20' x 4' and want to cut at the exp joint to put in a paver break evey 5'

Post a pic.

Frontier-Lawn
07-01-2005, 11:59 PM
heres the side walk

mbella
07-02-2005, 12:03 AM
heres the side walk

Are you going to replace the poured concrete walkway or border what's there?

Frontier-Lawn
07-02-2005, 12:05 AM
border down the sides defiantly. wanted to see how hard it would be the widen the expansion joint to a 12" paver size to stripe it

mbella
07-02-2005, 12:13 AM
border down the sides defiantly. wanted to see how hard it would be the widen the expansion joint to a 12" paver size to stripe it

For us to do your border would probably take a day and a half for one guy. I would bid it at two days. You have to excavate both sides to approx. 28" beyond the existing concrete and approx. 10" below existing grade. If there is any over pour, you have to cut that off. Then, you have to add fabric, base in, screed sand, and lay pavers. Finally, you have a lot of cutting.

Honestly, I wouldn't take the time to add that border to a concrete walkway.

Frontier-Lawn
07-02-2005, 12:34 AM
well it was just a idea :p

mbella
07-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Mike - That looks great! I'm very impressed at how tight your joints are. Awesome detail. I think you could have added a trip step for a real "custom" feel! :D

Chris

I was going to forget the steps altogether (there are three) and create a "fall" step.

kootoomootoo
07-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Screw the border...show us the steps... :)

kris
07-02-2005, 08:23 AM
looks good Mike.... where the 20 extra hours accounted in the bid?

mbella
07-02-2005, 09:05 AM
looks good Mike.... where the 20 extra hours accounted in the bid?

and then some

mbella
07-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Screw the border...show us the steps... :)

You wouldn't be impressed. They are not as creative as yours :)

sheshovel
07-05-2005, 02:58 AM
That work looks really good,you have to have great patients to do detail like that,it's a gift mbella ! :D
Very nice work.

mbella
07-05-2005, 08:20 AM
That work looks really good,you have to have great patients to do detail like that,it's a gift mbella ! :D
Very nice work.

I wish I did it. One of my foremen did it. He is very patient.

mikedesignguy
07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
You could have saved some time and possibly booked more profit had you used the Paverart inlaid paver for your border. How much time did it take to cut your 6's in half? When you combine it with the time required to make your miter cuts for the radius areas, you are looking at a decent amount of on-site time consumed creating your very attractive border. You might want to look into Paverart's pre-made border material.

mbella
07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
You could have saved some time and possibly booked more profit had you used the Paverart inlaid paver for your border. How much time did it take to cut your 6's in half? When you combine it with the time required to make your miter cuts for the radius areas, you are looking at a decent amount of on-site time consumed creating your very attractive border. You might want to look into Paverart's pre-made border material.

My cost for that border was approx. $850.00. That includes all labor and the materials as well. The border is approx. 160 sq.ft. Approximately, how much could Paverart have saved me on that exact border?

cgland
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Uh!....Ummm!....Uh!.....Duh!

mikedesignguy
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Mike,
Don't misunderstand my response. Your border looks terrific and it's obvious that a lot of thought and meticulous effort went into the creation of the border. Although the design is a diamond inlay in a 6 x 9 paver, the Paverart product would not be an exact duplicate of your border. What I'm saying is that you would have been able to lay a creative (and otherwise unavailable) border design immediately without the time-consuming effort of hand-cutting each paver. The Paverart inlaid paver can be purchased in the quantity required and laid immediately with the only cutting required for turns (miter the spacer paver(s) in-between the inlaids paver). Even if you break even from a material cost standpoint, at the very least, your man is freed up much sooner and can be on another aspect of the project or moving on to a new project. After all, time is not just an issue of immediate cost, it is also about efficient the use of personnel resources and getting to the next job as soon as possible (but not effecting the quality of the job performed). I would never downplay the beautiful end result of a border that obviously took some thought and effort to create. I'm suggesting that for future reference, you can create borders more quickly and efficiently if the finished material already exists.

mbella
07-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Mike,
Don't misunderstand my response. Your border looks terrific and it's obvious that a lot of thought and meticulous effort went into the creation of the border. Although the design is a diamond inlay in a 6 x 9 paver, the Paverart product would not be an exact duplicate of your border. What I'm saying is that you would have been able to lay a creative (and otherwise unavailable) border design immediately without the time-consuming effort of hand-cutting each paver. The Paverart inlaid paver can be purchased in the quantity required and laid immediately with the only cutting required for turns (miter the spacer paver(s) in-between the inlaids paver). Even if you break even from a material cost standpoint, at the very least, your man is freed up much sooner and can be on another aspect of the project or moving on to a new project. After all, time is not just an issue of immediate cost, it is also about efficient the use of personnel resources and getting to the next job as soon as possible (but not effecting the quality of the job performed). I would never downplay the beautiful end result of a border that obviously took some thought and effort to create. I'm suggesting that for future reference, you can create borders more quickly and efficiently if the finished material already exists.

I didn't take offense to your post. I'm always looking to be more efficient. I just asked, potentially, how much could I have saved on that border? That was the border we wanted to install. You replied that that exact border isn't available. Ok, fine. Approximately, how much could we have saved on something similar? A similar border 2' x 80'. I told you my cost was approx. $850.00 installed.