PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove this ground cover

knuckles
07-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Hello everybody.This customer wants overgrown area along roadside to be removed. Site is filled with poison ivy, vinca minor and many other weeds . Area is just under 60ft long and 25ft wide. There is a 30+ year old threadleaf maple which has weeds/ivy under it. I would like to use some form of mechanical removal but am concerned about damaging the root system of the maple. It is homeowners prize possesion, one of the pics shows the tree and some of whats growing underneath. Any guess about how long it might take? Should area be sprayed with non-selective herbicide first? After groundcover is removed topsoil will be brought in to level area back to original grade. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Knuckles.

dvmcmrhp52
07-01-2005, 11:18 PM
One word.
Roundup.
Regrade it if needed after removal of debris..............A string trimmer would do most of the work after the roundup.

sheshovel
07-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Gee if you dont' want to risk hurting the Japanese Maple then tell the cust to leave it alone.The ground cover looks fine and the tree healthy,if it aint broke don't fix it would be my recommendation to your cust

GarPA
07-03-2005, 07:33 AM
One word.
Roundup.
Regrade it if needed after removal of debris..............A string trimmer would do most of the work after the roundup.
yep thats the way to get it out. You might want to use a stronger mix ratio of roundup and you may need to spray it at least twice over about a 10 day period. Trimmer is the fastest and easiest way to get the sprayed area down to the ground

knuckles
07-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Will the round up knock down the poison ivy. Do you guys think I should weedwack first to reduce the amount of plant material the glyphosate needs to translocate through, wait 7-10 days then comeback and spray again and remove any remaining plant material.
Sheshovel- customer wants it out. Hates it and is severly allergic to poison ivy, do you agree with the other LS members about round-up and weedwackers? Thanks again everybody! Knuckles.

sheshovel
07-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Well.yes and no to that..do I agree,YES I agree that
Round-up or Ortho's poison- ivy- be- gone is the best way to eliminate the ground cover and poison ivy.NO I would not weedwack poison ivy.
NO I do not agree that repeated spraying under a Maple like that .... and you will have to spray repeatedly to kill the poison ivy cuz it's long runner roots will continue to sprout for years and every time it does it will require spraying... you wont damage the tree in any way.
But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and your going to do it anyway
So to protect the tree the best you can is the step you should think about.
I would use a shield on your sprayer and loosely tie and bag and tie the lower branches to protect the foliage from over spray.
I would "Paint"the foliage of the poison ivy with the herbicide and a brush if it is growing onto the tree itself and
NO
I would not use a dose stronger than the label recommendation because repeated overdosing with a strong solution of herbicide has been known to cause death in trees.
SO after killing all under the tree,I would hand cut the Ivy down to ground level 1st,then dispose of it and then go ahead and YES weedwack the rest down.

knuckles
07-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replys. I figured out the best thing to do for this job! I'm walking away! For what I can make off of it I dont feel like having this guy calling me up every time something sprouts up saying I missed something or that I did something to his tree. Thanks again to all those who have replied!

GarPA
07-04-2005, 05:29 AM
VERY smart of you. Indeed this kind of job can turn into more of a hassle than its worth. Not to mention the risk of getting a serious does of poison ivy