PDA

View Full Version : At what height setting grows the best lawn?

Holistic Landscapes
07-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Curious.... Most of you say you cut at 3 inch's.... i find that if I cut at 3 inch's I would be seriously cutting my lawns almost down to the sheath of the grass... I stay ususally at 5 inch's on a commercial push lawn boy... and the lowest setting on my Lesco 36 inch walk behind.. which is also set at 5 inch's... ;)

lawnandplow42
07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
i do most my cuttin at 4 inches

DLS1
07-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I am cutting at 3.5" (bluegrass and fescue) in July and August. The higher the setting the more ragged the lawn looks for this type of grass. What type of grass are you cutting at 5"?

sheshovel
07-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Geezee louise to 5" geeeze how long is it when you start your cut ?

lawnman_scott
07-02-2005, 01:45 PM
I cut some thick healthy st augstine on 5 or 4.5. Even the crappy weedy lawns I have been cutting on 3. If I were to cut some of them on 3 people would think im an idiot, and i think it would bog down and take the grass to the roots.

ItsJoe321
07-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey holistic hows that lesco doin for you? just wondering if you would recommend it i was thinking about picking one up from the local lesco establishment.

Holistic Landscapes
07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
The lesco 36 is a good machiene... Easy to start so far.... No problems.. I bought it new... no payments till I think october so I was like fine.. Just the lawns look so healthy when cut at like 4 or 5.. I feel when I keep the grass slightly longer by an inch or 2 even that the lawns look very healthy... even ly cut.. but for some reason when I was cutting on 3 I never achieved results like this.. The lawns are a mix of rye, blue, creeping fescue.. All lawns are on a lesco fert program with satifactory irrigation.. I see less weeds... more of a stand out healthy lawn.. :jester:

cedarcroft
07-05-2005, 07:09 AM
my customers would punch me in the eye if their lawn was 5" deep. as it is I have to do some serious selling to keep it at 3" to 3.5". they all want their lawns to look like a green at augusta. every week I explain that this time of year the lawn has to be higher or it wilkl burn and they panic 5 days later because the lawn looks ragged again. I can't imagine how 5" looks the following week prior to being cut. no offense, but it has to look like crap.

Holistic Landscapes
07-05-2005, 03:40 PM
crap is defenatly not the word here... You said it yourself that when cut low between 3 and 3.5 inch's the lawns usually slow down, or get burnt, I just find that when left between 4 and 5 I've achieved better results... Like one week I"ll cut at 5 inch's, next week mabye 4 inch's. When I let the grass grow it cuts better and I achieve a better lawn... and plus grading is usually a small isue so keeping the height at 4 I think avoids most sprinklers and other divots without burn...

I didn't think cutting at 5 inch's is like unheard of... I should sent some pics.. I need a digital..