PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Z Question

DeepDivot
03-03-2001, 08:30 AM
Went to a lawn show yesterday, looked at Walkers, Exmarks, John Deeres, Grasshoppers and several others. One of the best there was the new Hustler Z. Thing is built like a tank. It had several features the others didn't. Can mow from 1" to 5" in 1/4" increments with the standard foot lever adjust. Automatic parking brake system. No daily lube points. Largest tires. Shortest overall length for a 60" mower. Kawasaki engine. Switches and controls located on the the instrument panel, not at your feet. Easily accessible oil filter. Cooling fan on pump pulleys. 12 gallon tank, 11 mph top speed. Price was reasonable at $7087.

My one question is about the bagging system. Since I bag so little (but it's zoysia and must be bagged), and their 'real' bagger is very expensive (~$2500), the dealer told me that the bagger from their hydro-walk-behind would actually fit the Z. It's a 4+ cu ft bag that mounts right at the discharge and cost more like $300. Can anyone verify this? mowerconsultant? I've e-mailed Excel, but don't expect an answer for a few days at best.

mowerconsultant
03-03-2001, 12:24 PM
Yes the Hustler Z will accept the side discharge catcher.
List price is 350.00
I do have another option for you though, if your not going to use the 2 Hustler catcher options.
This is a catcher made in Charlotte NC since 1992.
This catcher holds more and is the best built non-powered catcher ever made.
Cost of this unit is 349.00 for the catcher and 349.00 for OPTIONAL extension.
This picture shows it with the OPTIONAL extension.
This company makes this catcher to fit any commercial mower.
I have also scanned in a spec sheet for this catcher.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=11879452&p=42558593
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=11879452&p=42559177
And in case you did not see the pic of the Hustler Z with the Hustler powered catcher on it here it is.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=9232673&p=42362856

DeepDivot
03-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Was hoping I could count on you, and you came through with flying colors! Just printed out the info on the aluminum catcher, which appears to fit my needs exactly. Looks like Excel really got their act together with this mower. Also found out they're building the same mower for Land Pride, and are in negotiations to build it for at least one other company (don't remember the name). BTW, do you have any info on the 52" version?

mowerconsultant
03-04-2001, 12:34 AM
the 52 inch unit is going to available next month
it will be almost the same unit, other than deck size.
i believe it will have narrower tires.
same catcher options... etc.......
yes we do make the unit for landpride, i believe the 52 will be made available to them also.

jason2
03-06-2001, 10:00 PM
Killing some time today, I decided to go take a look at the Hustler Z and Hustler Hog. Let me tell you I was impressed! That Z has such a low center of gravity. Eveything is well thought out and laid out. The engine sit's sideways so the oil fill, filter and drain are at the very back of the machine. Everything is easily accessible. The overall design is very compact. Plus the thing looks like it was built to survive a head on with a freight train. I was really impressed with the deck. It is super beefy!

No plans on buying one as I am very happy with my Lazer. But in the future I'm definitely going to be looking at them. Looks like Exmark has some competition on their hands.

Vibe Ray
03-07-2001, 10:12 PM
How tall is it? (the top part of the seat?)

mowerconsultant
03-07-2001, 10:55 PM
the ride hieght where you sit is 29 inches
per the litterature the total hieght is 39 inches