PDA

View Full Version : Its getting WAY to populated!

eggy
03-03-2001, 08:21 AM
Does this industry just bring in every Joe and Bob with a ranch king? It seems the amount of part timers etc is going wild also the number of new full timers, I think here shortly I will have to pay to cut customers lawns. Bids are going so low, I mean apartments, stores , malls, all lokking for the bottom price 5.00 less and hey we will award it to Mowin Bob...I think we all need to be lookin around....

HOMER
03-03-2001, 08:28 AM
I saw some newbies yesterday while working. Everybody seems to think this is easy money, wait till they get into July. Even had one Daddy hitting on my seasonal customers, guess he was riding around looking at yards that needed work. I wait till they call so it probably looked available. I suppose he.s gonna bankroll little Jr. What can be learned from that?

eggy
03-03-2001, 08:32 AM
Homer come to southern Indiana, The paper is already full of so called lawn companys, it is getting bad...To be honest just cant see prices going up at all for a long time...

HOMER
03-03-2001, 08:36 AM
I think I.ll stay here and get beat on, at least I have friends here..............woops,...............hey........make room for me!

syzer
03-03-2001, 08:47 AM
Yeah I never really noticed the amount of cutters around here till I stopped and actually looked around! A bunch of scrubs =(.

tpirobert
03-03-2001, 09:48 AM
Scrubs? Plenty of legit guys here as well. My best employee of 4 seasons is starting his own biz this year. Lots of guys get laid off from factory and take nice severance/bonus pay and BINGO they are in biz with new equipment and truck...paid for!

eslawns
03-03-2001, 11:09 AM
How many people live where you are? If there's enough of a client base, it may not be a problem. We have a million and a half people here, so there's lots of work. Lots of new low bidders each year who charge $15-20/hr because they think they can make a fortune doing lawns. Most of them are gone by June, after they line up so much work they can't do it all, lose a few people after realizing they are too low, and not being paid by some of the el cheapo's you get with low prices. We're lucky to live in a country where we have an opportunity to do something we love and get paid for it.

plow kid
03-03-2001, 11:58 AM
Hey,
Looking in the classifieds in the local paper today i saw about 40 1" wide ads about a half inch long everyone said lawn mowing,about 35 also said cheap, wait til i get my 3 x 5 ad in there [bigger is better]

Atlantic Lawn
03-03-2001, 12:43 PM
That's one of the problems with a business that has a low start up cost. Think how painters feel... get a brush and a ladder and Bam you're a painter! Biggest problem I see is it takes them a season or two to figure out this ain't easy. In the mean time there goes that extra (biz-cash) you were going to have....so that Big vacation gets put off for another year. The real solution is to upgrade your service, get that pest app lic. if you don't already have it. Jr. ain't gonna be able to buy one of those. When you go to customers home you must be able to offer full service, do it right and you won't just survive you will excel.

Mark
03-03-2001, 01:46 PM
I live in southern indiana right on the Ohio River. This is a very rich part of In. Subdivisions are going up non stop every month. I have all the work i can handel,and trun down work everyweek. Yes there is alot of new cutters, but if you have a good reputation and do very-good work your phone wont stop ringing. I charge 25dollar drop and 2.00 per 1000ssqft. This puts me at a average of 42dollars plus,each cut. This does not even count my commercial accounts.Been at this now for 10yrs and i know many of my clients have turned down other bids. I have a good relationship with my people,and they know the kind of work ill give them, so i dont worry about the new guys,there is plenty of work where i live. And alot of those new guys only last maybe a year seen it happen to many times. (Marks Mowing Service)

T-Bone
03-03-2001, 02:06 PM
Same old thing every year' just different people.

Wonder if our Better Biz Bureau or local paper would place an ad warning the consumers of these fly by night people.
Inform them as what to look for in lawn companies, years of service, licence, insurance etc. and tell them what happens with 85% of these new companies.

Sure wouldn't help the guys getting started who do stay in it, but don't know of a good solution.

Twotoros
03-03-2001, 02:21 PM
Same here. 5-10 quit last year . Same # new ones this. Usually when they hit year 3 and the strat-up write offs end, the tax bill kicks in and they realize that their equiptment is worn out then they quit and go back to work at the gas station. I blame Ronald Reagan for busting the unions in the eighties. Now we live in a low wage world.

LoneStarLawn
03-03-2001, 02:25 PM
The great thing about seeing that there is alot of newbies out there shows that there is a tremendous market for our industry. Once the low-ballers and newbies can not handle the business those customers will be looking for better services.

VLM
03-03-2001, 03:13 PM
Ronald Reagan was the BEST president of this Century!!!!
We do NOT live in a "low wage world". We earn cutting grass about the same as a fine surgeon in most third world countries. Think about that. Rediculously high wages in this country due to the cry baby unions were causing our economy to go to ruin. Those of us lucky enough to have succuessful lawn businesses owe it all to Ronald Reagan for creating this vibrant economy we have now.

LoneStarLawn
03-03-2001, 03:21 PM
I think that discussion is best left to the Off Topic Forum

eggy
03-03-2001, 03:27 PM
Well I dont feel alone now. It is nice to havesome of the low ballers around to take care of grounds we dont want. However...I guess ligit lawn care operators around here are few. Some of the firemen have nice companys, and a few of us full timers, I guess when something is hot everyone wants to hop on...look at nascar.....

Twotoros
03-03-2001, 09:32 PM
Johnboy, I am still waiting for Ronnies trickle down to trickle down to my redneck of the woods:)

hortusa
03-04-2001, 07:08 AM
I don't mind all the pro's out there because I would think we were all scrubs at one point or the other. What the problem is, For the ones that have put the years in sought out education, became a professional company, new trucks,equipment,shirts, and most of all licences , insurance, to become LEGAL landscapers. That is the problem!! Looking at other buis, this is one of the easiest ones to jump right into.I dont mind all the competion. But what pisses me off is when I have all thes things and more and then some guy can go buy a mower and say hey I am a landscaper now. There has to be stronger laws to prevent all the scrubs that is taking money from us .

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE
03-04-2001, 12:28 PM
Our add in the newspaper stands out from the rest-G&S PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE.Member of the Better business bureau/Member of Ohio landscapers association,Refercences upon request.Fully insured.We get most of our customers from referalls.We belive the Word professional means alot.

GLM
03-04-2001, 03:33 PM
I guess that I'm lucky in this regard. The cost of living where I am is so high that most people cannot afford to live here and cut grass, Housing es extremely expensive. There's more work around than RELIABLE PROFFESIONAL people to do it. No one can get good help. There are some low ballers around here, but I can get to much work for me as it is, and then next year the low ballers clients will be fed up with their service and try to call some one that will actually show up when they are supposed to to do the work. The flip side is the short season, I won't be into full mowing swing until late April or early May and then done mowing at the end of October. I just had an ex commercial account call me back. I took care of their high visibility store front for three years and the place was alawys looking great on Friday for the weekend(not to mention a great price) and they had a person that was renting a cottage on the property try to take care of it to save money. They dropped me last year and all summer I would laugh driving by on Sat. and seeing the grass 6" high and full of trash. Low and behold they just called me and said they want me to resume the Landscape services that I was doing before. I think that a modified price will be in order for this account this year.

guntruck
03-04-2001, 05:08 PM
I think it all falls back on the people that do it somewhat illegally. No liscences no permits etc., these are the ones i think that low ball the most. In which case arent going to be around very long due to quality of work and the fact that they arent running it like they need to. We are 100% legit, new yes, but legit nonetheless. I never realized all the costs involved but now i see why i must charge what i am to make a profit. I am believe we will do very well in this field and im putting everything into it that i possibly can, for me its do or die and i refuse to die, get the point. So all in all i dont mind seeing the newbies come and go because once my name is established they will only want to hear one name, MINE!!

Thanks

Evan528
03-04-2001, 05:48 PM
Here every Father and son "cut grass" on the weekends to make extra money. Alot of them take there time and do a very good job but there prices are hurting the industry as a whole.

LJ lawn
03-04-2001, 09:00 PM
come on out to central new jersey if you want to see scrubs.it's just like a bunch of rats fighting over the last scrap of food over here.