PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions please....

mowerconsultant
03-03-2001, 12:38 PM
Your opinions on this catcher please.
List price is 349.00 for the catcher and
349.00 for the optional extension.
I have included a pic and a spec sheet.
This company makes this catching system for any commercial mowers out there.
I am trying to decide to represent this company and take them nationwide.
This company has been building them since 1992, but only to customers in Charlotte NC
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=11879452&p=42558593
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1249267&a=11879452&p=42559177

syzer
03-03-2001, 12:41 PM
I think thats its a really good idea, but for the price that the others on the market can be had for I dont think that i would be purchasing one =(.

guntruck
03-03-2001, 12:44 PM
OK So if im reading correctly your saying in the ballpark of 700.00 for the complete catcher. I, for my needs, would be out of my mind if i spent that kind of money for a pretty catcher like that. I dont see it being practical for that kind of money nevertheless cost efficient. There are too many other options and roads to travel as far as catchers are concerned. So my opinion is to take another comapny on not these pricey fellas. =)

mowerconsultant
03-03-2001, 12:52 PM
pricey yes,
but it holds 30% more than the competition.
which means less dumps per yard.
which would increase productivity... right ????
also wieghs less too, better on the back.
better built, lasts longer than the competition
would this info influence a purchase decision ?
just thinking out loud here....

tlcgrounds
03-03-2001, 01:11 PM
I think your catcher is a great idea but just think of how much the catcher would weigh full. Is it designed with the carrry handles in a good place. Figure how much would the first catcher wiegh full and add 30% to that. i think it would get pretty heavy

guntruck
03-03-2001, 01:16 PM
Ok less dumps is more productive yes but i guess what im getting at is we dont bag any of our yards we either mulch or blow into surrounding woods, therefor being impractical for us. I guess for the commercial cutter that bags ALOT of yards maybe it would be a good choice to invest the 700.00.

mowerconsultant
03-03-2001, 01:27 PM
good points, guntruck
lets keep em coming guys.
this is why i love this forum (addicted)
in a short amount of time you can get so much knowledge here.
thanks guys.

Double D
03-03-2001, 01:28 PM
I'm with tlc on this one. You say less weight and easy on the back. I say full of damp grass it would be a hand full. Can 1 average 180 pound man empty that thing by himself, or is it a 2 person job? Other than the weight factor, I think the cost will scare away most. On the positive side, it is a very nice and well made looking unit.

syzer
03-03-2001, 01:34 PM
Not to mention how the actual mower would handle with that monster full. Would it be thrown off balance because of its capacity?

kutnkru
03-03-2001, 03:05 PM
I would think that an option that costs 1/5 the price of the original purchase is a very steep.

It would be the same thing as saying:
I realize that you have just purchased a $25K company vehicle, but for $5k more, we can pgrade your vinyl bench seat to leather.

I would definitely opt to do business elsewhere. I like the concept, but I think that one piece units would be a better feature.

http://www.acceleratorindustries.com/

Just my .02
Kris

Jason Pallas
03-03-2001, 06:22 PM
so let's see, when my morons leave behind a catcher or lose it off the back of the truck (like they did twice last year), it'll only be $1400 out of my pocket or ......let's see $100 out of each paycheck of theirs for ..... 14 weeks....half the season. No thanks I'll stick with the $169 model that rusts out every 6 years (they'll lose it before then!). Pretty but TOO EXPENSIVE.

syzer
03-03-2001, 06:56 PM
It says on their spec sheet that the catcher is 25lbs and the extension is 20lbs. Then under it, it says they are 35 pounds combined. Am I missing something here?

Cutter1
03-03-2001, 07:00 PM
Grass Gobbler makes the exact same thing. I have it. I only use the extension in the fall for leaves. A..The weight, B..Takes up space on the trailer. If it does fill up with grass it isn't that bad to empty. It splits in half for emptying. It is nice to use for leaves, less emptying. The grass gobbler is the same thing, for a lot less money!!!

mowerman90
03-03-2001, 07:24 PM
I see posts like this and have to drop to my knees to thank the good Lord above that I mulch instead of bag. A person would have to be crazy (my opinion) to pay that much for a bag system. If I was going to pay that much I'd think about paying a little more to get a powered vac system.

DeepDivot
03-03-2001, 10:30 PM
Do you have a price for the accelerator industries model? For someone that doesn't bag much, but has to bag a little, the price of a 4 to 4.5 cu ft bagger ($350 or less) is much more appetizing than a $1500-$2500 blower type bagger. Do the accelerator models beat the price of the JMG models?

George777
03-03-2001, 10:45 PM
I've got a 48" wb Lecso with a bagger that is simalar to yours. I've only used the thing 3 times and pulled it off and put the mulching kit back on. It would fill up with grass to fast and I would have to keep emptying it. I'm simply not going to use it. I think I just threw that money away. Also I found it more diffucult to manuver around obstacles.

mowerconsultant
03-04-2001, 12:14 AM
syzer, the wieghts you are adding together are for the grass gobbler unit, not the jmg unit.

cutter1, grass gobbler does not make the same exact thing, this unit is made of aluminum, wieghs less and holds more, not to mention the build quality is 100 times better.

deepdivot, the accelerator unit is less money, but is also less quality.

I have a gobbler and a accelerator here to compare, and if you put them all side buy side you can see the quality difference. the jmg beats them all in my opinion.

now if i can justify the extra cost to the consumer i can start to make some decisions here.
does the phrase "you get what you pay for" apply to this situation ?
or are we looking for the least expensive option for bagging ?
keep the opinions coming guys.....
thanks
pj

Double D
03-04-2001, 01:41 AM
I think the phrase 'you get what you pay for' only goes so far, and it also depends what type of product we are talking about. We are talking about a bag that holds grass clippings. How fancy does this have to be? I don't want a product that is going to break after a few times out in the field, but I also do not want one that I feel like I need to buff to a pretty haze and padlock to my trailer when I am not using it. You can charge what ever you like for a product. The market will tell you if you have priced your item fairly, or if you have priced it to high. I for one feel that the item (as nice as it may be) will not be a huge seller at the current pricing options. Not trying to bash you, just telling you what I think.

bob
03-04-2001, 11:33 AM
The idea is good. But $700 is too much. When its full of grass there will be a handling problem. Imagine trying to empty a catcher that big, by yourself. Also, it will get banged up to the point that you wont be able to use it any more.

mowerconsultant
03-04-2001, 12:04 PM
the jmg catcher splits in half, in the picture you can see where the extension hooks up, it splits there.
so i do not believe wieght will be to bad a factor in dumping.

turfman99
03-04-2001, 12:22 PM
How long will it take you to recover the total cost of the unit in increased production ??

How much labor efficency will this unit add to your daily production ??

Will you be able to add one more lawn per day or reduce your current time if you spend the (gulp) $700 ??

I would think you need to save at least 3/4 of an hour per week in added production to pay for it, not make additional profit yet ?

Beware the equipment manufactuer... Their sales and sucess are based upon their sales to you the distributor, not sales you have to make to the end user to get your money back.. proabaly some inventory stocking requirements also??

Do they have any experience or history in national distribution??

fivestarlawnken
03-04-2001, 12:32 PM
as much use the catcher will get and the abuse it seems like avery expensive price to pay

Runner
03-04-2001, 01:37 PM
This is a shaky one here. First, If it is constructed of aluminum, how durable is it where it attaches to the mower. When then starts getting full of grass, how much bouncing on rough yard is this going to take before something gives? With as low as the right side appears to ride in the pic, It does not look like it would take a whole lot to be dragging. Also, it is claimed to save time in dumping because of less dumps; Remove the first part of catcher and dump. Set it off to the side. Remove the second part of the catcher and dump it. Reattach the first part of catcher. Now, pick back up and reattach the second part of catcher. Now, that you have the catcher all together, move the mower out of the way so you can pick up with your hands all the grass that spilled out when you seperated the first part off the second. Now, you are ready to realign and begin mowing. And all this for the low price of 700 dollars! Would not it be easier to just lay another tarp out so you have one at each end of the yard? I think with a single unit, this would be easier. I am sorry, but as you may have a few takers, I think most in the market would pass on this deal. Wherefore, you probably should, too.

GLM
03-04-2001, 04:09 PM
No matter how carefull I am the catcher will end up getting smashed. I like the looks of the aluminum catchers but they don't repair easily. For the price the grass gobbler is good. I'm not sure if aluminum has a place in grass catchers. The weight savings of the aluminum is not all the great. Aluminum is not as strong as steel so they are built out of heavier materials thus adding extra wieght. I looked at accelerater and could not justify the price for a couple of pounds lighter and more costly to repair.

Cutter1
03-04-2001, 04:21 PM
The weight is definetly an issue. Even when you are cutting and the double bag gets full. It is very hard on your deck. It bounces and is a lot of stress on one side of your floating deck. The turf tracer that I did use it on has had problems cutting level since I used it, I have replaced every adjusting pin on it and it still does not cut level. In the long run these heavy bags do damage.

kutnkru
03-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Cost factor aside, can you tell me why there is a LIP where the two pieces attach themselves.

Will this not be a problem for packing???

The clippings have to be blown up over the lip in order to pack into the rear compartment, wont this wind up building on the lower tier first, thus blocking airflow to the upper tier???

Kris

mowerconsultant
03-04-2001, 09:35 PM
I have seen no problem with the lip between the two halves.
I personaly have used this set up when I lived in Charlotte, and had no problem.
Kutnkru, when we get through this so called blizzard, and the grass starts to grow, I will bring a unit down to you so you can try it. I am only a hour or so north of you.

ron
03-04-2001, 11:50 PM
Try mulching easier and cheaper way then bagging

kutnkru
03-05-2001, 12:01 AM
Ron

Unfortunately wwaaayyyy up here in the NE we have so many Pin Oaks that they dont drop their leaves until almost halfway thru Winter.

We need the capabilities of bagging in the early Spring for Clean-Ups, and Dethatching. Whenever possible I do and will disperse the clippings as this has reduced the amount of fertilizers we use by almost 50%.

I am looking forward to trying this double-blade feature this fall to see if I cannot eliminate numerous man hours in removing the leaves from the turf areas of our clients properties. We are able to generate more $$ per hour for mowing over hand labor.

Kris

65hoss
03-05-2001, 01:37 AM
There is one thing that you guys are missing about this bagger. Have you ever tried to empty the factory type baggers? With the very wide opening you do not easily dump it in a bag. It takes a long time to deal with. By the looks of this bagger you could fit the bag over the opening and dump it in easily. This would save a lot of time over the other baggers out there. I actually made a suggestion to exmark about making some sort of can to hold the plastic bags at the correct size to dump the clipping in right from the bagger.

I do think the price would shock me. Considering what the other baggers take to deal with, if I was using one all the time I would consider it. It really would save alot of time over the factory types.

Gtotoy
03-05-2001, 09:43 PM
not a chance i'd ever spend that money on a bag. I'll stick to my norm, and tote around my big green can thank yu!

Runner
03-05-2001, 11:44 PM
We just use 12x14 tarps.