PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS3000 25kaw.

brandy
03-03-2001, 03:52 PM
purchased the new Ferris Is3000 with 25 horse Kawasiki engine, this thing rips compared to my Bobcat!!!!Smooth ride also!!!

Richard Martin
03-03-2001, 04:24 PM
Congratulations Brandy! If I remember correctly you were impressed with the Ferris after visiting the trade show in Baltimore. I was impressed at the same show by the Dixie Chopper and I bought the other day. The only thing I didn't really care for on the Ferris was the weight. Those things are heavy at 1250 pounds. The Dixie comes in at 975 pounds.

brandy
03-04-2001, 12:09 AM
Wasn't thrilled by price and behind the times desings. Also the dixie chopper looks as if it would break , I stood on the frame and it flexes alot but from what i've heard from people on this sight is that they are great mowers good luck with it!!!!

HOMER
03-04-2001, 08:53 AM
I still don.t understand how the deck can remain flat while the wheels on the Ferris are going all over the place. I need to go demo one and find out.

jeffex
03-04-2001, 09:15 AM
how much for the ferris brandy i was impressed
with them at the show also

John DiMartino
03-04-2001, 09:42 AM
Brandy-you are right about Dixie frames flexing-they bend with a bagger attachment on them-it seems to take 2 seasons to start to bend them.At 1250 lbs that Ferris must be built like a tank.

brandy
03-04-2001, 10:29 AM
Paid 8500 with tax! If you jump up and down on the back of the machine the deck dosen't move!!!!

jeffex
03-05-2001, 07:05 AM
thanks for the comeback where did your purchase

Richard Martin
03-05-2001, 10:30 AM
Just for conversational purposes Brandy the Dixie isnt that much more than your Ferris. You paid around $8090.00 for your Ferris and I paid $8700.00 for my Dixie. Also, with a 5 rail frame (most other mowers only have 2 rails) it is not likely you will ever break a Dixie. And even if you did they come with a lifetime warranty.

Davis TLC
03-05-2001, 11:27 AM
I looked at the Ferris IS before I bought my DC. I was not impressed with the unit at all. I talked to a couple guys I know who are running them and they both commented that theirs were in the shop alot. One even had the hydro pumps and wheel motors replaced on his twice in less than a year after he bought it. He told me he wished he had gone with his second choice which was the DC, but he is stuck with his Ferris for now.

If the deck is supported by the frame, how can the deck not move if you jump up and down on it? I have seen lawns cut with these mowers and the quality of cut was far below the quality of cut I get with my Dixie, even a Ferris owner agreed that the Dixie has a better cut quality. I drive by a property each day that is cut with a Ferris IS and it shows several places where the Ferris has scalped it, which can probably be contributed to the operator experience, but 2 years on this machine he should know what it can and can't do.

Just MHO.

brandy
03-07-2001, 12:54 AM
Every one on this board talks about cut quality , and I cannot see any difference in the quality of cut of any of the high quality machines. Dc, Scag , exmart, ferris, all of these machines look to cut about the same quality! the dealer who sold me the bobcat said to me the bobcat ztr has a better cut then the exmart machine. Well you know what I cut next to plenty of other landscapers useing the exmart machine, the cut looks the same to me. The mowers all use decks with baffleing, they all use almost the same blades, and the blade tip speeds are almost all the same. Basicaly it all comes down to personal choice about the mower that you own. The dealler who sold me the ferris had both ferris and exmart and he said the guys are starting to switch to the ferris machines. He says the cut quality is the same, the only difference is you won't get beat up as much on the Ferris. You know what I believe him. I cut alot of grass, 100 residentials a week , let me tell you your body starts to hurt! So for me if the machine breaks down twice a year so what!! If my kidneys feel good and my back dosen't hurt at the end of the day. I'll be so happy!!!

Richard Martin
03-07-2001, 05:25 AM
So for me if the machine breaks down twice a year so what!!

This weighs heavily in my mower buying decisions and was one of the key factors in my purchase of a Dixie.

I like mowers that are simple yet effective. I feel as though the less moving parts a mower has the less chance the mower will break down.

Overly complex machines like the Ferris (it does have a very nice ride) and the Gravely (hydraulic deck controls, swiveling deck casters that fall off and get chewed up) tend to pay 2 penalties.

They generally weigh more than the less complex competitors and as time goes on they have more problems.

Granted, the Ferris does have a nice ride but the Dixie does too. While you were busy jumping up and down on the Dixie at the trade show did you notice that the rear tires were flexing (probably the cause of the apparent frame flexing)? That is because the rear tires only carry 6 pounds of air. Why? Because the less air you put in a tire the better the ride. They are like this by design. Simple but effective.

HOMER
03-07-2001, 08:15 AM
Uh oh...............here we gooooooooooooooo! :D

brandy
03-07-2001, 12:11 PM
Simple machine, well look at the deck height adjustments and that silly deck left system with cog and I'll telll you every one who uses them has broken this thing. Also the the deck is fastened to the machine some how nad it dosen't float as nice as the decks suspended by chains. I've talked to many competitors and guess what, they have gone to exmarts and there long trailers have become parking lots for the Dixie choppers!!!!

brandy
03-07-2001, 12:18 PM
Purchased the machine in North Wales . This dealler is great, he told me if I ever have problems with this machine he will give me a loner while the machine is repaired. When He told me this I decided he was the dealler I wanted to do buisness with!!!!His # is 2156999586

HOMER
03-07-2001, 12:22 PM
OHHHHHHHHH NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It.s getting worser.
Somebody STOP me.................
I.m gonna lose it.

kutnkru
03-07-2001, 01:44 PM
Yo Homer ...

I think she has got the Extra Mart(stop-n-rob) chain of stores confused with the Exmark -LOL

Ahem. Actually I was just kidding. I think that just like each of us we all have our preference and for many different reasons. ***CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS*** on your new purchase.

I do think that weight should play a major part in the decision factor as it will determine if a machine will be in production or sitting idle charting downtime.

Just my nickle.
Kris

HOMER
03-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Brandy,

The correct spelling of the red mowers you are referring to is: A X E M A R K ! With a K

If your happy with your purchase then the rest of us should be as well.

Good luck and happy mowing. :D

kutnkru
03-07-2001, 01:56 PM
See that!!!

Homer got so flustered he couldnt spit it out -LOL, j/k
(psst ... hey dude its exmark)

joshua
03-07-2001, 02:19 PM
how could you be happy with a machine breaking down. i have 3 exmarks and not one time in 4 years has one of mine broke down. who cares if the dealer would give you a loner, your paying for a machine not too.it sounds like the dealer knew he was selling you a high priced piece of junk if he had to say if it breaks down i can give you a loner. why would he say that unless he knew it wouldn't, he must not have any confidence in the product he's selling. what happens if all his loners are out and you miss cuttings? why would you buy a machine if you knew it had a chance of breaking down? i just don't get it, explain it to me.

Richard Martin
03-07-2001, 02:54 PM
What is this? You can't have an adult conversation without resorting to making disparaging remarks about the mowers involved?

Show me one post on this forum from someone who can say that they have broken the lift mechanism on a Dixie.

How do you know the deck doesn't float nice? Have you ever used one?

Please base your statements on fact.

brandy
03-07-2001, 03:03 PM
Chill every one and hopefully I didn't offend any one !!!Sorry to all involved if I said anything that angered them or offended them!!!

TLS
03-07-2001, 03:07 PM
Here's a little gas for this fire......LOL

I had a deck lift pawl break and a cog wear out on my Dixie! Both never prevented me from using it and both were repaired for free under warranty.

Poof!!!

Were is Stone when there is a post that goes out of control like this?

joshua
03-07-2001, 08:39 PM
richard, i'm not trying to start trouble, i just wanted to know why someone would buy something if it has the chance of breaking down more offer than a different brand name. i think the IS system is the next step in making our epuipment run more effecinly.

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 09:36 PM
Congrats on your new Ferris. This has turned into a Ford Chevy debate and has gotten way off topic of Brandy got a new Ferris. I also removed the other thread you started Brandy before it gets out of hand and I am closing this one. We don't bash here unless we own them or have owned them. We all have the best mowers made and nobody can change our minds, so lets drop this.