PDA

View Full Version : legitimate newbie

ahmha
03-03-2001, 04:43 PM
hello...I've spent the past five years full-time(60-70 hrs) on a nursery/tree farm(hand dug b&b) while attending college at night. I recently changed jobs and work at the college(irrigation man) leaving plenty of time for part-time work. My goal is mainly to establish myself/meet people. I want to go about this correctly. To start, I really can't afford much, finance a 36" wb Lesco belt-driven, other equipment would have to be low-end until next season I don't know if I need to buy a small trailer or try to make due out of my lwb truck(toyota t-100) Any suggestions/advise are greatly appreciated. For pricing I want to be middle of the road and selective about customers. I'm thinking of 10-15 yards per month. Am I on track? All responses welcome. Not sure what i really need. I've considered hiring a local pro to help me start? Thanks

HOMER
03-03-2001, 04:46 PM
Are you going to be working in Mobile? Glad to see another redneck on here.

ahmha
03-03-2001, 04:47 PM
yes preferably west mobile

ahmha
03-03-2001, 04:49 PM
Care to consult a newbie?

HOMER
03-03-2001, 04:54 PM
Sure, as long as you don't move east and steal my customers.

awm
03-03-2001, 04:56 PM
Get the mower ,ryobi ,be sure get the brush cutter
790r,a poulan pro 24cc hand held.
Use stihl 50-1 higrade mix .mix precisely.
A small trailor or even aluminum ramps and load
it in the truck.You are in buisiness.the cheap
equipment will last forever with proper mix.
When you can afford better you already got your backups
GOODLUCK TO YOU
ps do spend time learning your equipment

ahmha
03-03-2001, 05:03 PM
would i be better off solo or should i take up an offer of one of my weekend nursery helpers to work with me, for some sort of percentage of profits?

ahmha
03-03-2001, 05:27 PM
any opinions on the john deere/homelite quicktacth systems versus the ryobi?

Evan528
03-03-2001, 05:35 PM
there both cheap peices of crap! Get a redmax trimmer and have it for years!

HOMER
03-03-2001, 05:36 PM
Yes...............but you wouldn.t like the opinion. Save up and get commercial grade equipment, Echo has the split boom deal going and I would much rather have that than Ryobi or Homeylite. I had the Ryobi and the edger would kill your legs from debris hitting them.

I would also start solo, condition yourself before you rely on help, make your own mistakes and you won.t have anybody to blame............you also learn quicker.

Bassman
03-03-2001, 08:09 PM
You have a huge advantage over newbies that are not aware of this website.
Since there are so many variables involved with individual start ups depending on location, your short term and long term goals, what you plan to do marketing your business to potential customers, etc. MY ADVICE TO YOU IS... Spend alot of time taking advantage of years of hard learned experience by using the SEARCH feature to bring up hundreds of previous posts on getting started. What has cost business owners of successful lawn/landscape companies thousands of $$$ and blood, sweat and sometimes tears is available for...FREE!
Knock yourself out and good luck.
P.S. You must provide the motivation to succeed and common sense.( A good business plan would not hurt either).

TJLC
03-03-2001, 08:48 PM
All I can say is go for it and the best of luck to you. A wealth of good advise to be had here. Just take one day at a time.

MikeGA
03-03-2001, 08:51 PM
I was looking at the JD Quicktatch at Home Depot, Everyone says get the Stilh, but I can buy nearly 3 of the JD's for what the Stilh will cost and the attachments are 1/3 to 1/4 as expensive as the Stihl

ahmha
03-03-2001, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Honesty is most definitely appreciated. I would like to ask you guys this...If you could start all over, albeit on a limited budget, what would you do? How would you outline you budget, intial equipment,payback on that equipment, and monthly expenses involved?

awm
03-04-2001, 01:37 PM
Everybody to there on opinion but there wrong
about Ryobi.Certainly not the best but will
give good service if taken care of.It will make
a good backup ,when youve had a chance to
see what you want in equipment.