PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off?

EROSS17
03-03-2001, 07:21 PM
I'm just curious how many of you guys have had equipment ripped off and what. Last year my enclosed trailer was busted into. Of course, they couldn't just clip the lock to get in, they had to use a crow bar and practically tear the whole door off. They got away with 2 blowers and 2 whips. I guess I kind of got off lucky, they could have taken a lot more, and the stuff they took was about ready to be replaced. Thank God I had Insurance. For about a month after it happened, I was looking very closely at other companies equipment. But now I have brand new stuff. It's always fun getting new equipment.

Shack
03-03-2001, 07:56 PM
They got me for 4 trimmers and 4 blowers once. I was not a happy camper.

script
03-03-2001, 08:10 PM
They got my edger the week of thanksgiving. I keep my edger and trimmer locked on the trimmer trap, but was leaving it opened until I finished edging and trimming. Was out of sight of trailer for maybe 2 minutes and they got it. That lesson cost me a few hundred dollars and now I don't walk around the truck without locking everything down. lol.

Keith
03-03-2001, 08:11 PM
We have had a bunch stolen over the years. But the one I remember most was in 1993. A Stihl BR320, a trimmer and an edger were stolen. I bought a BR400, a new trimmer and edger to replace it, and it was stolen 36 hours after we got it :mad: Most recently our 14 foot tandem was stolen from a coded gate secured lot. The connection, the guy who is responsible for most thefts around here lets people USE his car and truck to go get this stuff in return for a few bucks. He also has a brother or something that is in concrete work. My trailer was in a complex where they were building new mini storage units. Who do you think was doing the concrete work? Now matter how secure it is, if the owners of the property let thieves in, they cant be stopped :mad:

I am convinced the police are absolutely scared of these cats. They have been going strong for 10 years. The guys they send out to do the stuff get arrested when caught, but this guy never gets in trouble. On about 5 different occasions (that I know of)his vehicles have been siezed, included once when it was used in a home invasion and pistol whipping of an older man. They just give them back to him, because he claims he just lets people USE his vehicles. If you are keeping company like that, I dont give a $h!t, you need to lose the vehicle :mad:

TJLC
03-03-2001, 09:55 PM
It is a pitiful fact of life that some people always want what you haved worked so hard for. Anyone that steals, in my opnion, should face a very stiff penalty if caught. It seems even if you lock things down some loser will find a way to take it from you. I agree,thank God for insurance. I feel for anyone that this has happened to.

Keith
03-03-2001, 10:04 PM
The worst part is it's way worse than some clown stealing your TV. The are stealing your livelyhood when they take your equipment.

plow kid
03-04-2001, 12:58 AM
I`ll start the list, this is not a bullschitt list either,

Stihl saws;
a 084 magnum with a 48" bar
2, 066Magnums one with a 42" bar and the other with a 36"
a 020t
a 019t
a 017
Snow equipment;
a 2 meter meyer plow blade
a 6` meyer blade off of a large garden tractor
a honda hs 50 track drive snowblower
a jacobsen snowburst snow blower
about 50 bags of salt
Mowers;
2 lawnboys [junk anyways]
a simplicity 3416 garden tractor with homemade 4` flail mower
and my crapsman edger

I was away for the holiday, and I had a suprise when i got back home, About 10k in equipment gone!!. They had to had a strait truck, thank god the homeowners ins covered it. Now I have cameras up in every corner of my shop!!

awm
03-04-2001, 01:14 AM
I got hit recently.THE SORRY RASCAL GOT MY
028 STIHL.It just wouldnt do for me to find
the fella.We would both be losers cause I might have to go to the jailhouse . M y stihl was my bud.

leeslawncare
03-04-2001, 01:46 AM
Well. i've been so lucky (knock on wood )!!. I carry my stuff to my regular job (i'am a 7yr. part time PRO )I always lock an chain all my s%#@ to my truck an trailer an so far i've been lucky.We had some break ins at work but the must have been lazy folks cause they took c.d.'s an stuff like that ...

Russ
03-04-2001, 09:41 AM
2 yeaars ago. Broke into the shop. Didnt take one piece of grass equipment no mowers,weedwhips, blowers nothing. Did take comperssor and all air tools, compound miter, and everything else associated with wood working. Total loss,$2800. Insurance paid $1400, after deprication and deductable. Took the ins. co. 4 months to pay and before they did they sent me a bill for $975. for my homeowners premium.(they give me 30 days to pay my bill, they pay when they feel like it). Agent told me no increase in policy rate but any other claim and my neithborhood would be "reclassified" and I would be droped. By the way this is the 1st claim I've had in 28 years. GEE I sure am fond of Insurance companies. After labor total insurance is my biggest cost!

GrassMaster
03-04-2001, 10:15 AM
Hello Everybody:

I had a friend that used to get stolen from quite a bit & finally thought it was same person, because when he took action it stopped.

He at first got motion detector Flood lights & that helped for a while & one night he got ripped off again. The person had busted out the lights earlier with BB gun.

He then decided to get one of them El Cheapo car alarms that if it is moved the least little bit the Alarm goes off. Well it finally scared the guy off & he didn't come back.

He then got ripped off on the job & now when he is going to be outa site he turns it on TOO! He says it helps.

Personally I think when one of these guys gets caught, they should have to work for free for about a month or more (maybe pulling weeds, cleaning up after trimming bushes & if he is good let him run the trimmer) or do about 6 months in jail. The problem is in most cases Jail is better than where they live at & it doesn't matter to them.

Think about it, Cable TV, 3 hots & a cot. It probably encourages a lot to steal because of all the Great Benefits they get if they do get caught? Go Figure?

Ground Pounder
03-04-2001, 11:17 AM
I will be taking my trusty German Shepherd, Ivan, with me this season. He likes to hang out in the truck bed.

He can be a useful deterent to anyone looking for free equipment.

awm
03-06-2001, 12:07 AM
I may be wrong.But I plan to takeum down.
And I dont mean a fair fight.I may get hurt my self
but hes going to get hurt and feel some pain.
Then Im going to put him in the truck and take him
down the road and put him out.
Sure dont sound civilized does it.That is one reason
for doing it.Im not a mean person but thats the only thing I can see to do and I dont appreciate his kind forcing something like that on me.Course I COULD JUST LETUM DO ANYTHING THEY WANT.NOT

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
03-31-2001, 01:02 AM
hey Eross17, did they ever catch the guys?...last season there were a group of dumb kids in Livonia Michigan stealing lawn equipment and heavy equipment. my friend got his whole set-up riped off....email me i can get you more info.

ronslawncare
03-31-2001, 04:21 AM
EVER BEEN APPROACH FOR BUYING STOLEN EQUIPTMENT MY FATHER ONE TIME BOUGHT A CHAINSAW FROM A BLACK GUY OUT IN BROOKLYN JUST WALKING DOWN THE STREET WITH IT IN HIS HAND THING WAS BRAND NEW MY FATHER BOUGHT IT FOR 25.00 NOT THINKING IT WAS STOLEN NEXT WEEK MY GRANDFATHER CALLS US UP AND HE SAID SOME BLACK GUY WAS LOOKING FOR YOU HE GOT SOME GIANT SPEAKERS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN .GUY ACTAUALLY REMBER MY GRANDFATHER HOUSE AND KNOCK ON HIS DOOR DAM CRACKHEADS EVERYWEEK THERE IN ARE GARBAGE IN THE CITY.. LAST WEEK WE THROUGH OUT A BROKEN FISHING POLE AND ONE BOOT SURE ENOUGH THEY LOVED IT.THEM GUYS NEVER SLEEP OVER THERE ....

HOMER
03-31-2001, 08:40 AM
Brand new?
$25.00?
Didn't think it might burn the ol' palms a little?
I like your Dad! :D

Been lucky so far, no losses from crackheads.

If I knew my trailer was sitting in a lot somewhere I'd hook a chain to the gate and be out of there in 5 minutes with MY trailer.

There comes a time when every grass cutter has to stand his ground and take back what he has paid for by hard work and the sweat of his brow! I sold a 16' trailer to my "partner" a couple years back and it was stolen. Claims he had a lock on it, probably sold it and told me it was stolen. I've looked for that trailer ever since and if I ever find it it's going with me! I'll know it when I see it to, I cut a trimmer rack off of it so no matter what they have done to it I'll be able to identify it.

It wasn't mine so I still haven't had anything stolen, but it was close to me, I loves that 16 footer.:mad: We have a lot of fond memories together.:rolleyes: