PDA

View Full Version : sore hands

noah
03-03-2001, 11:16 PM
I am having major pain in my hands after a long day of whipping and using the backpack blower. I was wondering if anyone uses anti-vibration gloves? If so what brand and where did you get them? Anyone have a different suggestion? Thank-you

Bassman
03-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome... Vibration and twisting of the ligaments and resulting nerves in the wrist. I have not tried anti-vibration gloves but that may be a good starting point. I have experienced this during season, (it went away in the winter when I was not doing the repetitive motion's/vibration involved every day). I plan on wearing wrist splints with a metal spoon under the wrist so that the wrist is kept stationary this year if it starts up again. My pain was not just in the day working but also severe at night while sleeping. I would wake up in the middle of the night with numbness and pain. In the day time, I will have to stop and shake it out because of numbness in hands. This has been discussed on this forum before and is a very real problem in our line of work. Good luck to you.

linky
03-04-2001, 12:47 AM
I do not use gloves for work but always do to bike ride. I would go to a high end bike shop and get gel Specialized gloves(specialized is the brand) They sure help on a long rough ride. I think i will work in mine this season. Once broken in they will make your hands and wrists happy.

HOMER
03-04-2001, 07:19 AM
I bought a pair a couple years ago that have the fingers cut out and padding in the palm. I got them from Walmart and looked last year for another pait but couldnt find them. I think they are made by DP and used for weight lifting. They had just enough padding to help with the vibration. Go to a sports store or look in Gemplers magazine, I think they had some too.

GroundKprs
03-04-2001, 08:46 AM
Have had carpal tunnel for 35 yrs. This condition is due to stressing the wrist by holding it in unnatural position for long periods. Relax your whole arm, hanging at your side, and look at the position of your wrist. Then look at it when you are holding a trimmer or a backpack blower. Key to control is to learn to operate or to modify machinery or tools with wrist in neutral position, or limit the time you spend with wrist stressed. If stress is not corrected, pain will get worse: stress is on nerve going into hand, aggravated nerve swells and gets pinched tighter. As aggravation continues, nerve swells more and gets pinched more. Some times the answer is just to grip handle and inch or 2 away, sometime change your stance so whole body is in a more relaxed stature, sometime you have to invent the right answer for you.

One simple example: with your mower controls, look at how your wrist is positioned. If it is bent at any angle, even slightly, you are setting yourself up for CTS, or some other form of RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury). Would just moving your hands, or sitting a little differently maybe, put your wrists in a neutral position? Maybe a minute with the torch and a little bend will be needed. Over the years I have modified tools and machines so they can be operated without wrist stress, sometimes with a little bend, sometimes with a whole new handle. I always wonder why manufacturers never consider RSI in equipment and tool design! If not modified (have not done a string trimmer yet, but have an idea), then limit length of continuous use - e.g., if a long trimming job at one site, over 7-8 min, then trim some at start of job, some in middle, and rest at end. Just can not figure what to do with a shovel, so no more than 45 min digging each day for me.

But wrist, elbow, or any arm pain could be from other causes. There is a serious vibration induced syndrome that can affect the hands. Best to let the doctor do the diagnosis, then look for practical ways to limit further stress or damage.

bob
03-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Noah, Is there numbness in your hands also. Check here for gloves and other safety equipment. http://www.conney.com/

GrassMaster
03-04-2001, 09:49 AM
Hello Everybody:

My hands hurt & tingled a little, but my shoulders were hurting me so bad I couldn't sleep at night. I asked one of the doctors I worked for about it. He told me it was a Rotary Cuff problem, he asked about equipment usage & I told him.

He told me to take asprin at night so I could sleep & change the way I did things. He made recomendations. He said I was gripping stuff to hard & doing same thing to long.

I noticed that most stuff I did LOL, including holding the steering wheel I was gripping to hard.

Yes I got one of them Sissey Straps & had it adjusted just right for me when running the trimmer. I even off set the trimmer handle just a little so I could trim & edge comfortably. Now doing this, all I had to do was barely hold the trimmer with my finger tips because I was not gripping the trimmer as hard-holding all the weight & it was very comfortable.

After adjusting myself to working like this my speed picked up & virtually no fatigue in the Wrist & Shoulders at all. Yes I could run the trimmer edging & Trimming all day long no side effects.

I even made it policy that all the other guys had to wear straps too. No more crying & whining about how tired they were after running a couple of tanks of gas through the trimmers in about 3 or so hours again? I don't need occupational problems later on down the road, because I'm having enough problems trying to afford Medical coverage now & when I get older I do not need this extra burden.

It will wear you out after few hours of Holding trimmers weight & also trimming & edging for that period of time. The employees figured it out to after getting used to it & productivity went up. Also no more complaining about who had to trim & edge anymore TOO!

Dillon
03-04-2001, 10:02 AM
Bicycle gloves will help. Try mountian biking gloves, they are padded on the palms and usualy have some extra protection on the backs that helps keep your from getting scraped up . I have used them for years, they will out wear just about any pair of work gloves

Runner
03-04-2001, 12:44 PM
I think like Grassmaster said, it is probably brought on from the gripping more than the vibration. especially if you are feeling it everywhere-fingers, between the thumb and hand, and in the palm. Try soaking it in warm epsom salt at night and massage each hand (it is better when the wife does it) but eventually, as the season gets underway, yoiu will build up and get used to it. Good luck with it!:)

chariot
03-04-2001, 02:44 PM
I have not tried these,but they may be a good idea. Have you seen the Mechanix brand gloves? They now have some that are made for absorbing impact and vibration. They are also available in a fingerless model. There website is http://www.mechanix.com

GLM
03-04-2001, 02:55 PM
I have carpal tunnel and it seems to come and go depending on how bad I abuse my wrists. I use the Valeo anti vibration gloves and they are great. They are almost like wearing splints on your wrists to keep them from bending to far either way and they have the gel in the plam to like vibrations. They are well worth the $20 that they cost and once you buy them you will be sold.

guntruck
03-04-2001, 05:11 PM
Im sure i'll be ok on my new toro w/b but i know how you feel. We have a little 32" scag w/b and its a pistol grip man that will kill ya!!! The only relief i got was to put on some rubber padded gloves and take a break every once in a while. Other than that grin and bear it.

Fantasy Lawns
03-04-2001, 08:32 PM
I use the weight lifing gloves ....careful with the cheaper ones .....sweaty hands and the dye in the leather kinda give s you a funky colored hand

lawnlubber
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
I have noticed that the muscles in my forearm stay tensed for a long time after I'm done with the trimmer. By the end of a long day of trimming there used to be considerable pain. Now I stretch about every 1/4 to 1/2 hour and little pain. It takes about 30 seconds. I do 2 stretches. First put your hands together like your praying then bring your elbows up. Your hand and forearm should make about a 90 degree. second I let my arms hang loosely at my sides, thumbs pointing forward. Rotate the arms so that your thumbs point away from you without moving your shoulders. If I do this while I have soreness, the injury heals quickly and I don't need to treat it further.

Rick Jones
03-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I use the Mechanix M-Pact Gel filled gloves. The don't seem to have much gel, but they do help a little bit. Try wearing a wrist splint when you sleep. You might find that helps a lot. Did for me. My hands use to hurt just from holding a pen or the newspaper in the morning. Not anymore since wearing the splint. Probably the best $16 I ever spent.

And like others said, relax your grip and keep your wrist in a neutral position. Also pistol grips are a killer. Systems like the Toro T-Bar require much less force to operate and keep your hands in a much more comfortable position.

specialtylc
03-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by guntruck
Im sure i'll be ok on my new toro w/b but i know how you feel. We have a little 32" scag w/b and its a pistol grip man that will kill ya!!! The only relief i got was to put on some rubber padded gloves and take a break every once in a while. Other than that grin and bear it.
My partner who runs our WB all day used to have the numbness(carpall Tunell ) when we had a pistol grip hydro. We got a Hustler WB and no more problems.

rookiemower
03-19-2004, 02:16 AM
i never noticed this but when i run my WB i get a numbness in my hands at night that is unbearable, it is actually painful. i never noticed this but its only during mowing season i'll have to change my ways thanks for all the input guys

BW4486
03-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Like a couple of people have said try Mechanics brand M-pact gloves. They are made for using tools like airwrenches and sanders that also vibrate. I have been using them for about a year. My first pair lasted about 6 months and my second pair are still in good condition now ( 6 months is good in this business) They cost about $35- $40.