PDA

View Full Version : Fungus

jay
03-04-2001, 03:41 AM
I want to aerate one of my sites but it has leaf spot and fursium. Do I have to kill this disease before I aerate or will it be ok to aerate? Or is this going to cause it to spread more?

awm
03-04-2001, 08:13 AM
hey jay, id jus pickup the little furs when you
when you sium .tha grass grow better.lol
What is fursium serious up.My books not handy.
On that spot mabe you could scratch it up
with a rake and aeriate the rest.I assume you
are concerned about the machine spreading it.

jay
03-04-2001, 02:01 PM
There both a form of fungus.

Lawnking
03-04-2001, 08:04 PM
Aerating is is the next best thing to treating the fungus with a fungicide. Just remember to wash any equipment that was used on the the yard with a fungus as you can transport it from yard to yard.

jay
03-05-2001, 02:10 AM
It won't spread it even more though.

jay
03-05-2001, 06:20 PM
Should I Kill dieases first or just go ahead and aerate?

Lawnking
03-06-2001, 01:15 AM
To do the job right you need to apply 2 applications of fungicide. The second application 10 days after the first. Fungus is only growing during the warm part of the year though so dont do it in the spring or fall. And yes, Aerating will spread the fungus even more unless you treat it. You can even pick it up on your shoes and transferr it to another lawn.

GroundKprs
03-06-2001, 06:12 PM
Any disease appearance is due to 3 things: a pathogen, a susceptable host, and proper environment for the pathogen to be active. Any lawn has millions, even trillions of disease spores or other components that can drastically affect the lawn. So if you are stuck with the first two, the real reason for diseased turf is the right environment for the disease to become active.

Thus to combat a disease, the best remedy is to control the environment, if possible, to mitigate disease activity. In some cases, if the environment cannot be modified, it may be easier to introduce other grass types that are not susceptable to the disease. If staying with the existing grass type, best route is to provide optimum growing conditions for the type of grass on site. Aeration is a good means of increasing turf vigor: see many other threads on aeration (use SEARCH function above).

Use of fungicides should be a last resort, and they are very expensive. There are documented cases of regular fungicide treatments to control an undesireable, but not fatal, disease causing an imbalance in soil microbe population such that a drastically fatal disease moves in and destroys the turf. Many people use a fungicide and think they have controlled the disease, when in fact the disease subsides because the environmental conditions have changed so the disease cannot grow further. Do yourself, your client, and the environment a BIG favor and do not use fungicides unless you are well versed in the life cycle of the target pathogen. Not all fungus is warm weather. Should see all the ugly lawns around here when snow finally melted. Gray snow mold had a field day this year here.

jay
03-07-2001, 01:01 AM
Sounds like your saying go ahead and aerate, even though it might spread the diease, because this can only help it. Is this correct.

Thanks jay

GroundKprs
03-07-2001, 04:30 PM
Yes, I would aerate a diseased site, if the aeration would be beneficial to that site. If you know for sure which diseases are present - some common ones can be ID`d by eye, but most should be ID`d by lab testing - and these are diseases you do not want to spread to other sites, a chlorine spray bath or a steam cleaning would be in order afterwards, before operating machine on another site.