PDA

View Full Version : Spray or Brush?

Runner
07-08-2005, 11:34 AM
For those that do this, what is better, spray on or brush? There was a company that came through our area and I think they took some customers of mine (older people) for a ride. They just sprayed the asphalt, and didn't brush it on. They didn't even blow it off first. They sprayed over loose stones that were there, too. I've been told that brushing gets alot better coverage, and it seems like it would. Any ideas?

KivaKid
07-08-2005, 10:36 PM
The company I work for gets good results. We use hard bristle push-brooms and rolling blowers to clean the area. We then use the seal-coat hose with the spray tip removed to put down seal-coat along the edges, which we squeegee/brush for neatness. We then put the spray tip on and spray the middle majority of the area. This seems to be a good system. You have to make sure your area is clean, and that you get a good, pretty thick, evenly applied coat when spraying. The guy who sprays for us moves the wand around a lot to account for uneven surfaces. If you have a pretty large grade, rocky asphalt surface, you have to attack those little rocks from differnet angles with a couple sweeps, moving the wand back and forth with almost an arc motion.

DDT
07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Spray is the best method, brush second, and squeegee (specially made for sealing) third. The company you saw were what's called "travelers" and they have been on TV many times. They make their living doing crummy work for unsuspecting people (usually elderly) then moving on. :realmad:

Mdirrigation
07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Brush or squeege is the better method for residential drives , overspray on garage or house is a real pain. Parking lots either use a squeege machine for the first coat and spray the second , or spray the first heavy and then go over with a broom , and then spray a second coat. We rarely spray a residential drive unless its real big .

SealCoatPlus
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
spray looks better and is cheeper and takes a lot less time
i only spray i will brush for more $$$$$$$$