PDA

View Full Version : Help--New to step building!

N.H.BOY
07-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, been checking this hardscape out every now and then. And please dont tell me to do a search on this, because I spent 2 hours looking. I need info on steps with bricks. I have a customer that wants this done. 3-4 steps. I understand the rise and run cal. I have built around 20-25 decks (wood of course) in my time, so my ? is what do you fill in the middle? silly? Does anyone have pics of the "process" of building these? I have done motar work also on fireplaces. I just do not know and understand the process of building these simple steps. I have not been to the customers house yet for a qoute, that will be on Tues. Any pricing on this per Sq. foot? Thanks for any replies on this I much thank you for the help. :waving:

bigviclbi
07-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Build the steps in full courses and you won't need to put anything in the middle. lay your first course so that it is completely buried and the top of the blocks will be at the height that you need the bottom of the first blocks to be. It is called the "pyramid" method and is more stable than just building the outside walls and billing in with your base material. You lay the blocks all the way across on each row stacking them on top of each other. I think mbella has a picture of the method on one of his posts if not check ep henry's website they might.

Dirty Water
07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Build the steps in full courses and you won't need to put anything in the middle. lay your first course so that it is completely buried and the top of the blocks will be at the height that you need the bottom of the first blocks to be. It is called the "pyramid" method and is more stable than just building the outside walls and billing in with your base material. You lay the blocks all the way across on each row stacking them on top of each other. I think mbella has a picture of the method on one of his posts if not check ep henry's website they might.

I'd imagine this would be quite expensive on large stairways.

Grounds Control
07-09-2005, 08:30 PM
i just finished a set of granite steps filling with base material flush to the top of each step (thougholy compacted of course). good method if done correctly. depending on the size of the steps, if you pyrimid the steps the total weight of the steps may require base material to help from shifting.

N.H.BOY
07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
i just finished a set of granite steps filling with base material flush to the top of each step (thougholy compacted of course). good method if done correctly. depending on the size of the steps, if you pyrimid the steps the total weight of the steps may require base material to help from shifting.

Granite on the sides also? Compact it by hand?

bigviclbi
07-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah more expensive materialwise but it saves you time on labor and headaches.