PDA

View Full Version : Running employees threw a temp agency

eggy
03-04-2001, 06:57 PM
Well I have a odd question I ave been messing with the payroll, taxes, reports etc just to have my buddies help me out every now and then, maybe one guy two days a week, or even less one year during the drought. I guess this year I wonder if it would be reasonable to have them ran threw a temp agency? Do you think it would save me some $$ All of them are working full time for other people and just help me out from time to time...Could I run them threw a temp agency?

Kirby
03-07-2001, 02:16 PM
I have used this service in the past and have found it to be helpful. Just from the perspective of not doing the paper work required for employees made it worthwhile. If I pay someone $8.00/hr we are charged $11.20/hr. They handle taxes, insurance, and payroll. Before this service I spent $10.25/hr on an employee making $8.00. So you can see it does cost a little more but for the peace of mind it is worth every penny.

eggy
03-08-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks Kirby, did you find that almost all temp agencies would do this for you? And your guys had no problem getting paid?

Kirby
03-09-2001, 04:24 PM
Most are national companies and can be trusted with reguler pay. Shop around for price and service. Some will not be insured for our type of work, they only offer services to office work etc.

bob
03-09-2001, 07:54 PM
This might help, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10692

summitgroundskeeping
03-12-2001, 04:44 PM
My buddy does that in his company, and the people he gets just slack off, ruin his equipment, and do a bad job. But, that doesn't mean all guys from temp agencies are like that.

eggy
03-12-2001, 07:26 PM
I think you might have misunderstood, My freinds is who I would send to the temp agency..and hire them only...I dont know I guess i should just do payroll myself

diginahole
03-13-2001, 08:03 PM
It sounds like you should invest a hundred bucks in a book keeping package like Simply Accounting or MYOB. It takes me 10 seconds to write a payroll cheque and about 3 minutes a month to do my payroll taxes with 3 or 4 employees. These packages have the tables built in and do all the calculations for you.

eggy
03-14-2001, 08:48 AM
I will look into payroll software...does it provide needed forms for new hires? Also how about if the tax rate changes? Hmmmm Thanks

diginahole
03-14-2001, 07:39 PM
MYOB does,t have new hire forms but it does have tax table updates for the first year when you get the phone in help pkg. Tax tables can be downloaded from the web for a small fee after that. I,m not sure but i think in Canada the government has the tables available on disk.

Kent Lawns
03-15-2001, 10:32 AM
Either run them through a temp service or hire a payroll service.

In addition to calculating taxes a generating payroll, you also need to:

File 941 Form monthly.
File 940 Form Quarterly.
File State withholding taxes monthly.
File STATE unemployment form quarterly.
Buy, manage Work Comp Insurance and track overtime.
Mantatory Work Comp audit annually.
Remit federal annual employment summary.
Submit W-2's.

These REQUIRED and other potential tasks (unemployment forms) are better handled by someone who does this for their job.

By the way, forget to file your 941 on time? The IRS DOUBLES your amount owed. Read your local business journalm happens all the time.

Bottom line: Your time is better spent earning money.

diginahole
03-15-2001, 04:25 PM
WOW, in Ontario we file every month with one form for all taxes withheld and employers contributions. If it's late it's a 10% penelty, I thought that was harsh but 100% ouch. My accountant double checks everything at the end of the year when he does T-4's and Workmans comp and balance sheets ect. I guess for me it takes less time to tell my computer the weekly hours than it would to tell a payroll service.

eggy
03-15-2001, 05:09 PM
Kent you just made me see the light....looking at the yellow pages...payroll service.....

eggy
03-15-2001, 06:07 PM
Well I contacted a temp service, what can happen is my freinds who will work for as needen outside of their regular job will basicly be on file there...Fill out time cards as needed and turn them in as needed. The staffing agencie handles paying them and workers comp...they then send me the bill, of course...basicly it will cost me about 2.75- 3.00 over the wage they recieve but all workers comp taxes etc will be done...doesnt sound bad for my needs