PDA

View Full Version : stripes

Hunter Landscape
03-04-2001, 09:00 PM
i was wondering if anyone had ever gone and made a striping kit by yourself? i have a front deck grasshopper and have been trying to figure out the best way to go about trying it. any hints on what to use and where and how to mount this "rig" would be appreciated. it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, but then again, i really haven't tried!

BryanB
03-04-2001, 09:18 PM
I was wondeering the same thing. It seems that on Eric's website that the kit looks like a piecs of amgle-iron with 1 ft. pieces of chain bolted to it. If thats all it is you probably culd make one for $40.00. Thats just my opinion I could be totally wrong.

Evan528
03-04-2001, 09:33 PM
Just about all commercial mowers with a good set of high lift blades will stripe the grass... a striping kit is not needed but will deepen the stripes slightly. Erics site http://www.elmlawnsite.com will explain it more in detail!

ron
03-04-2001, 10:47 PM
WOW cool striping pics nice work....

syzer
03-04-2001, 10:50 PM
I plan on welding one up and getting it powder coated (not the chains) to match my great dane chariot for the proffesional look. I may also make one up for my toro wb, though I am not sure how effective that will be.

I plan on making it like Erics, just a piece of angle with either hole punched in with the chain slid through then a rod slid through the holes of the chain to hold in place. Or I will just weld the chain to the angle itself.

Either way if you make it yourself be sure to shorten the chains on the end to make sure when your making turns you do not run over the chain.

SpringValley
03-05-2001, 07:17 AM
I have been thinking about making a kit for my JD front deck also. The problem is location. I can't place it immediately behind the deck or I run over the chains. If it is placed between the front and back wheels, you have the same problem with both sets of wheels running over it possibly. Mounted off the back it would have to be behind the rear wheels and would significantly increase my tail swing arc. I know how to make it from chains but Hunter Landscape and I have the same problem . . . . where to place it on the machine.

Matt

KirbysLawn
03-05-2001, 08:01 AM
Why are kits needed? I mow with Great Danes and they stripe without any add-on items. I think the type of grass and height factors in alot also. Here is a fescue lawn mowed with the Chariot at 3.5". http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=681893&a=4967155&p=19958877&Sequence=0&res=high

Hunter Landscape
03-05-2001, 09:05 AM
my mower stripes well also without any kits, but i am always looking for a little more adv. than the comp.
(and i like building things :))

Richard Martin
03-05-2001, 09:34 AM
You only need the chains between the drive wheels. The drive wheels will lay the grass down as they go over it.

SpringValley
03-05-2001, 09:34 AM
My mower stripes well also and like Hunter, I am just looking for an advantage and more defined stripes. I live in where everyone uses DC and their stripe kits. I almost need something additional to stay competitive. I am working on a proposal for a customer that actually requested stripes and wanted to know if I had the attachment to do that.

Matt

SpringValley
03-05-2001, 09:38 AM
I can do chains between the wheels. I could possibly even mount those mid-ship so they don't get caught under the tires when turning or backing up. Thanks Richard.

Matt

syzer
03-05-2001, 09:51 AM
I am actually thinking of trying to design a "roller" type striping kit for the chariot. I know taht co. in PA makes them but only for the exmark. I may try something like that this weekend at my buddies fab shop.

Eric ELM
03-05-2001, 11:30 AM
A lot of the pictures on my website are pictures that were taken long before I got a striping kit. It is not necessary, but it does enhance the stripes a bit. I have only had a striping kit since Mid June of 2000 when I got the 2001 diesel Chopper.

TLS
03-05-2001, 12:41 PM
Spring Valley,

The old F-Series JD's simply dont stripe (dont cut well either). Don't know about the NEW 1400 series' 7-Iron though, they may cut and stripe pretty good. This design mower is more suited to LARGE open areas with plenty of room for the aft end to swing around. Other than that, they are good machines that last forever.

Adding striping chains or rollers may complicate things and grab and stand up all the UNCUT grass that JD's leave behind.

SpringValley
03-05-2001, 01:07 PM
Dixie1,

I do not have an old F series. I have an F620 and an F680. These mowers have the new 7 Iron deck and they cut excellent. I have never used a Dixie but I have talked to previous owners and the dealer. I choose to run JD equipment and I do not slam other people's choice of equipment. Be careful not to lump all the JD's into one category and quit being so narrow minded. Eric has explained all the difficulty he had with his JD equipment but he has the decency not to slam on equipment he has never used. I try to do the same.

Matt

joshua
03-05-2001, 01:31 PM
i have no reason to spend money for a striping kit my exmark z 52 makes strips and they look like a professional baseball field. same with my exmark walk behinds. i feel bad that you guys have to go and spend money for something like that. next time you buy go check out a exmark mower, you won't go wrong.

TLS
03-05-2001, 01:36 PM
Spring Valley,

Calm down! Take a few deep breaths..... Now, first of all, I am not slamming anything, or degrading anybody or anything based on choice of equipment. Second, I have put approximately 6000 hrs on various John Deeres, overall with good results. Third, I dont own a Dixie Chopper (anymore). I wasnt lumping ALL JDs, just stating FACT about the quality of cut and striping ability of the F-900 Series. Maybe I should have been more clear in what F-Series that I have had extensive experience with using. Did you skim over the statement... Good machines that last forever...? That is one statement that I can lump all JDs to!

Remember, some mowers stripe, some dont. Yours probably doesnt, or you wouldnt be looking for a kit to add to it.

Peace!