PDA

View Full Version : New husqvarna ztr\\\\\\\'s?

Wade
03-05-2001, 12:04 PM
I have been trying to narrow down my choices pertaining to purchasing a ztr mower. I will be using the mower to mow 3 acres every week during cutting season. I had pretty much decided between the the Exmark Hp w/44" cut ($5,600)and the Toro Z100 ($5,500). After I talked with an Exmark dealer this morning, he suggested I look at the new Husky ztr's. He said that a promotional was offering the Husky zth4218 (42" cut, 18 hp Kawasaki, without hand-lift for deck adjustment) for $4,200. Now I am confused. The new Husky mower looks pretty substantial to me, and suppossedly a vast improvement over the first husky models. I am hoping this will be the last mower I buy for a long while and want to make the best decision. Any thoughts from this knowledgeable forum is appreciated.

Wade

Richard Martin
03-05-2001, 12:22 PM
Ummm... Let me throw another wrench into this. Dixie Chopper has a 42" for $4999.00. This is the everyday price and not a promotional price. Of the 4 mowers listed (including the DC) I would <i>not</i> buy the Encore, opps, Husky based on what has been written in this forum about them. There have been more negative reviews vs. positive.

MikeGA
03-05-2001, 12:58 PM
I looked at the new Huski the other day and the dealer I talked to priced me a 61" 23 hp Kaw for $8700. I told him thanky I could buy a Hustler Z for $7k same configuration. I didn't like the way the new Huski looked and felt. He told me all the crap about how he had gone to a Huski field day and they had the old Huski(Yazoo/Kees-Deere) and a Kees and the new Huski. They mowed with them, measured the deck height, DROPED THEM something like 12 ft, mowed with them and rechecked the decks. The kees was out 1.5 inches, the old Huski was out 3/4 inch, but the new Huski was only out 1/4". I told him I wasn't planning on dropping mine 12ft and why the 3/4" difference between the old huski and the Kees, they supposedly come off the same line at the plant. He couldn't explain that one only the new huski was built better.

As for the other smaller models of ZTRs I don't know. All I do is put my 2cents in on the Huski.

dmk395
03-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Tell you what, they make darn good chainsaws and back pack blowers.

turfguy33
03-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Currently I run Great Dane and Scag ztr's. I love them. The only complaint is that they are a little bumpy especially going at fast ground speeds. I looked at the Dixie Choppers, and the cut is great......one problem. If you look at ansi and OSHA standards, the blade tip speed should not exceed 19,000. The dc comes out of the factory at 19800. My dealer told me that as soon as he gets them, he cranks the engine rpm up to 4200 to get even a faster rpm......Hmmmmmm, doesn't sound safe to me...Not to mention the excessive engine wear. Don't get me wrong, the dixie is a great machine, and I'm sure it's productive, but I am leary about my dealer. As far as the Husky, can't tell you, I have test drove one before, and they seem alright. If your only going to do 3 acres a week, I'm sure It will hold up.