PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Gas in oil on Kawasaki 19

SMB
03-05-2001, 12:57 PM
Has anyone else had this happen? Our ZTR has sat all winter with mostly the gas valve OFF. There seems to be gas in the oil now. (I think it's happened before, too) We're going to our dealer today to check on some Toro 21" push mowers, and we'll talk to him about it, but has anyone else had this problem? We've had this happen to 2 engines before, and it eventually led to their demise from cylinder scouring, etc.
WE ARE UNDER WARRANTY!

MikeGA
03-05-2001, 01:12 PM
try this
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10938

GrassMaster
03-05-2001, 01:32 PM
Hello:

Float hung in carb & if it has sat a while. Not warranty, hung floats not covered under warranty. Again if it sat a while you probably be better off if you do a carb job on it & if you don't have at least a 100psi of air pressure on you air hose find one that does so you can clean out the carb right.

The worst damage you can do to a piece of Equipment is let it set. Try to crank it up about every 3 to 4 weeks, letting it run for 20 to 30 minutes min. It will eliminate most problems, besides carb jobs you probably go through batteries tOO!

Read the Post at the link that MikeGA has above.

99 out of a 100 times if you have a problem with your machine & it has say over about 30 hours on it, it is operator problem.

The saying with dealers is if it don't happen in the first 10 or 20 hours it's not warranty. This is true in most cases, not all but mostest! :-)

Sorry you are having problems, but if you run them regular you will eliminate most of the carb problems you have had in the past!

SMB
03-05-2001, 01:36 PM
Sorry I didn't check that post, I haven't been on LawnSite much lately.

SMB
03-05-2001, 01:49 PM
I cranked it up about every 2-3 weeks and it ran fine! I also put some Sta-Bil in it. We'll see what kind of support my dealer and Textron Bob-Cat/Kawasaki will give us. I'm very concerned about cylinder scouring, I ran it for about 30 mins. while making Hydro adjustments about a month ago. The crankcase isn't full or anything, the oil just has a gas smell and it's kinda thin. I think that my dealer will be supportive, he's been very good to me in the past, but we've never had anything serviced by him. Also, this mower has a little over 76 hours on it. Floats and needles and needle seats shouldn't go out this quick. We've got some engines over 10 years old and never had anything done to the carb. And beat this, we've got a 4 HP tiller engine from 1969 and never been rebuilt-although we did put another carb on it-diaphram carb.