PDA

View Full Version : Will polymeric sand work for this project???

wrtenterprises
07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
We are currently working on an irregular flagstone patio that is set in a mortar bed. We are removing all mortar from the joints, and I would like opinions on using poly-sand as a replacement. I've read that some poly-sand is not recommended for this use. Anyone try it? Poly sand seems to work great, but I was wondering what the drawback is in this instance.....

hollywood
07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
I have used polymeric sand on bluestone, but the pieces were all rectangular or square. Therefore, all of the joints were relatively consistent in width. I would think that with irregular pieces of flagstone using polymeric would still be okay. I am basing this on my observations of how polymeric sand handles and not real field experience. I do not know if polymeric is intended for a certain dimension of a joint or not.

Have you considered stone dust?

wrtenterprises
07-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Hollywood,

Stone dust, other aggregates, or sand are not acceptable to the customer. I will grout the joints the old fashion way if I have too. The joints average 1" so they are not huge. The previous contractor obviously used lime with his mix, as it's exceptionally hard.....

Peach
07-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Just finished an irregular bluestone patio using polymeric. I was concerned about the varying joints as a factor to the sand failing. It was important because the path and patio were a front entry.
So far...all is good. (Except for those dang chipmunks..)
Anyway..I'll try to u[load a shot so you can compare.

Sanlorenzo
09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Alliance has the best on the market. Polymeric stone dust up to 4 inch joint