PDA

View Full Version : problem client

Bryan Wilson
07-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I've run into a problem client. I power raked, topdressed with double screened topsoil and reseeded. There has been below average expected growth and weeds are appearing.

When purchasing bulk topsoil do you expect to have weeds show up
?
It's my understanding that the only way to get weed free soil is to purchase sterilized bagged soil which would be cost prohibitive.

AL Inc
07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, weeds usually do show up when seeding in spring and summer. I learned years ago to be up front about this, and repeat myself several times. I try to encourage them to put off the seeding until fall.

topsites
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes, weeds usually do show up when seeding in spring and summer. I learned years ago to be up front about this, and repeat myself several times. I try to encourage them to put off the seeding until fall.

Interesting note as I frequently seed in EARLY spring but we do agree:
Never, ever seed in summer: It is a waste of time, and money.

Dirty Water
07-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Is it being irrigated?

nocutting
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
10 or more years ago was the last time I used "Bulk Top Soil" to re-do a lawn!!!!!, it was a late spring job, of course they couldnt keep up with the watering demands......."Man the Crab Grass Was Terrible".....[ as they were good clients, fortunately they endured & waited for us to redo it again in the Fall-No Charge].......Now I suffer with what ever is on site, nothing has ever been that bad.....So much for tryin to do the right thing?[ all the time?.....its just not worth it!!!]............ :blush: :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
07-15-2005, 08:04 PM
It shouldn't be that difficult.

Spread topsoil, roll, seed.

Water 3 times a day for a short duration so you don't flood the seed.

Once the lawn and weeds are established, spray the weeds, let them die, and then mow it real short.

After that..nice green lawn.

YardPro
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
i have one word that will solve this problem............

SOD

sheshovel
07-16-2005, 05:34 PM
It shouldn't be that difficult.

Spread topsoil, roll, seed.

Water 3 times a day for a short duration so you don't flood the seed.

Once the lawn and weeds are established, spray the weeds, let them die, and then mow it real short.

After that..nice green lawn.

There is a bit more work involved in establishing a lawn with seed than that.and
Who told you that mowing a new law... that's establishing itself.... real short is a good thing?NOT

sheshovel
07-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Brian,why did you use the bulk top soil?You could have used the existing soil and amended it and tilled it in.Did it need filling or something?Also the above are correct in saying the seeding window is closed tell fall.Tell your clients you can reseed in fall and that's all you can do right now for them besides mow it.I also suggest SOD every time ,if you can convince them to spend the xtra$ it is the way to go.

wojo23323
07-16-2005, 08:09 PM
He is in Canada. It is fall now.

Remsen1
07-18-2005, 12:46 PM
He is in Canada. It is fall now.

LOL! True!