PDA

View Full Version : anyone have luck growing grass under pine Trees?

Daren
03-05-2001, 09:06 PM
Got a customer that wants grass under her Pine Trees. Anyone have luck with this? I have heard before that it will not grow. Going to go take a look at it tommorrow.

Daren

Dennis
03-05-2001, 09:14 PM
Most of my cust. have grass under their trees, right up to the trunk...
1. trim low branches so light can get in
2. add a little extra nutriants, water etc. for root competition
3. aerate, but be very careful of roots
4. watch PH carefully, unless you use a grass that likes an acid soil you will need to adjust probably
It is hard sometimes to grow under trees but it can be done,be very sure cust. knows it may not turn out the way she wishes.
Hope this helps you
Dennis

awm
03-05-2001, 10:23 PM
I was going to saysomething but dennis pretty much nailed
it.It is a lot easier if trees are spaced far enough a part.Also harvest the pine needles.

Runner
03-05-2001, 10:41 PM
Many times with this, it is not only beneficial (and imperative) that you keep the soil close to neutral, but it also helps to overseed every spring with just a cheap annual rye to help keep it filled in.

joshua
03-06-2001, 11:10 PM
i did a job last year, i removed some of the old dirt and replaced it with new. seeded the hell out of it and had the customer wter it every other day. it was the thikcest and greenest grass in their yard (LOL) all year. justa 1 time job but i'll over seed it this year and inform them to water in the summer to keep it strong. good luck with what you decide