PDA

View Full Version : Pea gravel and flagstone?

BSDeality
07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I had a potential client ask me to lay a ~600sf patio/walkway of pea gravel with flagstone spaced 2-4"' apart. There is an existing parking area of 3/4" trap already compacted there. My question how stable is the flagstone going to be in a "natural" formation sitting in pea stone? My thoughts are the pea stone is going to shift as well as heave in the winter. We get some good frost heaves here.

sheshovel
07-19-2005, 02:40 AM
You are correct.Pea gravel is NOT a good base for a patio or walkway.Tell him you use crushed w/sand base or crushed /w stonedust base.
Then if he insists you can use pea to fill in the cracks bettween the stones.I won't use pea in this manner because of possible liability problems if someone takes a step on a stone and it slides right out from under them.
It just wont compact.Not only that,your clients hire you to perform work,they tell you what they want,but they hired you to do it the way it should be done.
Never allow your clients to dictate and decide how you do your job.That is yours to decide.
It's ok if he wants flagstone but you make the decisions on the base materials.
Most customers just dont know so don't expect them to be correct in their material decisions.

Ax Man
07-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Yup that is correct. If you check with installation on most concrete pavers and retaining products, it specifys "no pea stone"
grade it with stone dust, lay a screed bed of sand, and doo the joints in pea if they want that look.
Another idea if you mortar the joints, press peastone into the top...

YardPro
07-19-2005, 08:28 AM
i disagree

we use this combo all the time.
if it is only used occasionally there will be no problems.

we don't do many large area paoti's this way. Here all new construction is raised and all these beach houses have big wrap around decks.
we use this combo under the decks ( all are 2nd story). alot becuase plants will not grow, and plain muclh is boring.

mbella
07-19-2005, 09:04 AM
BS, are you talking about laying the flagstone on the 3/4 aggregate and then installing pea gravel between the flagstone? If so, that's not a problem. You just need a bedding layer between the aggregate and the flagstone in order to level the flagstone.

Even if that's not what you're talking about, why would you need pea gravel under the flagstone, you won't see it.

BSDeality
07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
he was talking about peastone for the entire area with the flagstone laid on top. I guess it would be ok to just fill in the cracks, as well as cheaper.

I will have to modify the base for pitch, as right now it is pitched towards the house. After that i just screed 1" stone dust like a paver installation correct?