PDA

View Full Version : Echo Shred \'N Vac

lawnboyil
03-05-2001, 10:45 PM
Thoughts, opinions, comments gripe about it, found it in am leonards thinking about getting it for the fall any comments would be nice

alex

Runner
03-05-2001, 11:03 PM
As soon as I saw the title of this post, I thought, It depends on what you are going to use it for. But then, when I opened the post up and saw the word Fall, I thought OH boy! If you have any thoughts of using this for fall cleanups, GIVE IT UP! These are for the little old people that we see doing things that are impracticle, but they do them just for the principle that they BOUGHT it, they atre going to USE it! You know the ones, they are out in their driveway moving 1 foot deep leaves with their electric blower, when with one stroke of a rake could be done. Or the little person at the end of their driveway weedwhipping their ditch - with an electric trimmer! Anyway, you get the picture. It's just underefficient. I HAVE seen people use them for sucking up scattered litter like gum wrappers and stuff.

lawnboyil
03-05-2001, 11:11 PM
runnner
thanks for the picture i was hopeing that it would be as good a equipment as our blower and string trimmer

alex

HOMER
03-05-2001, 11:24 PM
I use the Stihl version, the blower converted to a vaccuum. It is very handy for small piles of debris and to be able to walk around a parking lot or grassy area and pick up trash. I use mine all the time...........of course I'm an old geezer too, that may explain why I like it.

Runner
03-05-2001, 11:32 PM
Oops! Sorry, Homer! I didn't mean it like that!! LOL

TJLC
03-06-2001, 07:53 AM
I guess I'm an old geezer also. I have the Echo Shred N Vac and use it all the time. It has it's limitations but, doesn't all equipment? For what I use it for it works fine. It's also a backup blower if I need one.

Premo Services
03-06-2001, 07:58 AM
I have the echo vac/blower that I use when cleaning up after trimming bushes,especially when there is ground cover,it does a good job getting the trimmings out of it.I also use it to clean leaves out of bushes in areas where there is nowhere to blow them and mine works good.I will admit that it is kind of a hastle switching from blower to vac so I just use mine as a vac.

Ssouth
03-06-2001, 05:12 PM
Would this be a good product to pick up cigarette buts out of the corners of parking lots. I am having a terrible time with the buts.
Mow money, how long does it take to convert from vac to blow or is it just that the process is difficult do to poor engineering. Thanks for any replies it looks like it could serve a purpose in my company.

Thank you, TJLC

[Edited by Ssouth on 03-06-2001 at 10:19 PM]

TJLC
03-06-2001, 05:18 PM
It works fine for cig butts. It takes a minute or two to go from vac to blower or back.

Nitro
03-06-2001, 05:28 PM
For someone inclined to use a Vac, do you think the Husqvarna model would be as good as the Echo? The only dealer I have sells Husky. Anyone have any experience with them?

Lee Homan
03-06-2001, 05:49 PM
Echo has an attachment to convert backpack blowers into vacs, cost is about $60.00.

HOMER
03-06-2001, 07:24 PM
This ol geezer uses his full time as a cigarette and paper sucker, that.s it.s intended purpose. Anything that you would rather not blow out of a corner into the grass get s sucked up..........it works grrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeet, as Tony says. Before it was get the bucket and the shovel or rake, now it.s suck, suck ,suck, boy does it suck. It does have it.s limitations, lava rock has a tough time shredding......but it does pick it up!

bob
03-06-2001, 10:15 PM
I had one and didn't like it. The bag was right against you and dirt would be blowing all around. Also the bag got filled up real quick. I'm taking about using it for leaves, not trash.

lawrence stone
03-06-2001, 11:02 PM
Most of the time I don't use the bag. I blow the bits of leaves right into the the lawn then a double bladed 52" toro
grinds it ever more.

Paradise Yard Service
03-07-2001, 02:15 AM
An indespensible piece of equipment. Ever get your leaves/ trash in a place that no matter how much you blow it always comes right back where you started? This little baby solves that problem in a jif. Does not require lots of trailer space like the bigger vacs, and it takes a beating. Use as designated vac. Try it, you can always sell it to Granny up the street if not for you.
Surfs Up!
Aloha, P.Y.S.

Green Finger
03-07-2001, 07:28 AM
Testing

Vibe Ray
03-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Lee Homan
Echo has an attachment to convert backpack blowers into vacs, cost is about $60.00.

Really?! I didn't know that! Is this new for ECHO? If it converts a backpack blower, than that would be a pretty powerful vac, right? Where does the debris sack go???

Lee Homan
03-08-2001, 08:38 AM
Vibe Ray,

Go to Almaia.com and you will find them under echo accessories in the echo power equip. section. The cost is $59.99. Don't know about the placement of the bag, looks simuliar to the hand held model. You can also find them in the echo catalog you get from the dealer.

BobR
03-08-2001, 10:33 AM
Got one and after all replacable parts were (replaced) dont use it much any more.. As said before it has its limitations, I only use it to clean where a blower or rake has difficulty (window wells or near doorways)..
Saw it, bought it, used it, shoulda saved the money.
Bob

Paradise Yard Service
03-10-2001, 03:33 AM
Hey Vibe Ray,

Do not go for the attachment on the Echo backpack conversion. It is a nice set-up in theory but in actual application it is time consuming process as the intake tube is the blower exhaust and the amount of debris sucked up is marginal. It is better to go with the handheld backpack and use with its limitations and use as a designated vac.

If I stay in this buisness for more than a few more years my next purchase is going to be a Billy Goat vac.
Until I know what I will do I will just use my little
Echo for vac needs.

BTW my dealer was the one who told me it is better to go with the handheld as the intake is larger/wider and will give far better results.

bam
03-10-2001, 06:46 PM
It is an excellent butt sucker. Great for commercial properties to remove cig. butts and packing peanuts. There is no quicker way to remove light, scattered, ugly debris such as that.

For any other type of debris get a real blower or leaf vacuum.

LScom Addict
03-14-2001, 02:14 AM
We use the Echo hand held vac for cleaning up the clippings after trimming shrubs and such. The unit works well for me for this. I dont know about the majority of cigarette butts they asked about. I would have to say yes.