PDA

View Full Version : electric table saws

bigviclbi
07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Anyone use electric table saws? I am thinking of getting a table saw and thought I'd go gas but they are heavy and I saw the electric ones for sale figured they'd not be very powerful but wanted some input. Also I use partner cutoff saws but saw a gas table saw at home depot for $1900 made by MK, about $600 less than comparable ones at my local dealers. Any information on the brand would be appreciated. The electric saws are all about $1000.

mbella
07-18-2005, 10:03 PM
One of our saws is an MK BX-3. It's electric and I like it.

UNISCAPER
07-18-2005, 11:10 PM
If you are going to run with an electric saw, you need to learn the basics of house electrical wiring. You will be poping breakers left and right and if the homeowners aren't there when one goes, there you sit.

So, what we do when we run our only electric saw is go into the breaker panel (mounted outside for some crazy reason in the land of fruits and nuts) and install a 30 amp breaker with a temporary line and mini load center that the saw plugs into. When we leave, we remove the breaker and fold up shop.

You will pop breakers when the saw kicks on, and during one of those times when it lugs down through the middle of a cut. If you know how to do what I mentioned, electric saws are actually not too bad. If you don't want to mess around with electricity, then spend the money on a gas rig...
Or, you can start with electric, and yank the motor off later and install a 350 Chevy where the electric motor was at. Pleanty of power and with truck pull style headers you can cook lunch while your cutting brick. There is nothing quite like fajitas with brick dust as a garnish, clay brick dust tastes a bit better than concrete......

Seriously, all you have to do is remove the electric motor and bolt on a gas rig. The manufacturer can set you up with the right pulleys so you don't overspeed the blade.

mbella
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Bill, I must be a lucky guy. I've heard others complain of popping breakers, but it has never happened to me. Not once. I'm sure the first time will be at the worst possible time.

motoraced
07-19-2005, 12:45 AM
generator....generator.

bigviclbi
07-19-2005, 07:18 AM
mbella that is exactly the model I was gonna buy, light and easy to move. Is there an adapter to make it cut wet? We are forced by local law to cut wet and the electric saws I looked at weren't set up for it.

mbella
07-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Vic, I don't know. We have a wet saw, so I never looked into that.

UNISCAPER
07-19-2005, 10:10 AM
You can run a generator, and it will work so loing as it has enough amperage to run the motor of your saw. But then why not just get a saw with a gas motor and have enough power to cut 8" block, without poping breakers, and save money too. You got a grand in an electric table saw, then you will drop another $1,500.00 in a generator large enough to supply the correct amount of amperage for the saw. You can get a decent Edco 14" table saw with a 6.5HP Honda for around $1,900.00 and put it to bed.

bigviclbi
07-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Just got a 14" mk tablesaw with 5.5 hp honda motor tonight. Have to wait for the stand to come in though. Got it at the depot, only because my dealer was selling it for 2400 and it was 1888 at the depot AND i got 10% off with coupon. Hope it lasts a long time.

Masonman
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
What Uniscaper said.

With electrics, you will eventually be tripping breakers if you are doing any kind of serious cutting. Gasoline powered equipment will run circles around comparable electric ones.

orionkf
08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I've only used gas saws a couple times, but when i did, it seemed inconvenient to have to start the motor every time i wanted to make a cut. Do they make a gas saw where you can disengage the blade from spinning??

UNISCAPER
08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
We have two 20" table saws that I made and patented with return to idle throttles, and disengagment clutches at idle. Other than that, I don't know any others on the market that stop turning with the engine idling. The other way to go is electric start, but then you are into using a machine to move the saws because of weight.

orionkf
08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Oh yea, the electrics are heavy. Setup centrally, cause it's a pain to move. How much lighter are the gas units? Mow close are they power wise?