PDA

View Full Version : GOLF COURSE GRASS?

bobbygedd
03-06-2001, 01:48 AM
got a call today from a guy who needs lawn service, ill be seeing him on saturday. he says he has "golf course grass" . well, ive never been to a golfcourse, anyone know what the heck golfcourse grass is? thanks

KirbysLawn
03-06-2001, 02:08 AM
More than likely Bermuda grass.

http://bermudagrass.com/

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/ag431.html

bobbygedd
03-06-2001, 02:16 AM
burmuda is similar to zoysia, right?

KirbysLawn
03-06-2001, 02:42 AM
Somewhat, Zoysia is a nicer grass in my opinion.

Atlantic Lawn
03-06-2001, 06:33 AM
He could have one of several varities of Bermuda, the sites listed above will give you some good insight. To get a real golfcourse look it needs to be cut real short like about an inch or so and it needs to be cut often about every 3 to 5 days. Reel mowers tend to do a much better job. Golf courses get fed quite often and he may be in for a shock when he finds out the price on getting that real golf couse look.

65hoss
03-06-2001, 10:48 AM
Be prepared before you go to estimate the job correctly. He is probably one of these people who think very low cut grass like a golf course makes him cool. Thus a pain in the LCO to deal with. :)

lawrence stone
03-06-2001, 11:22 AM
Bermuda is not suitable for NJ.

Must nothern golf courses use bentgrass for tees and greens
and rye for the fairways.

lawnboy82
03-06-2001, 11:47 AM
you are right; up here for greens and and fairways and stuff they will use bentgrass, i am pretty sure it gets cut at like half an inch. so you have to be out there about every other day or so. cutting the grass this short will probably be a pain in the butt for you because that means that it will make the green or whatever the guy has more succeptable to weeds, and other fun things. charge accordingly. and maybe try to sell the guy full service. fertilizing, cutting, aerating, all the good things, if you do get it it will take up a lot of time, so good luck.

Runner
03-06-2001, 12:22 PM
Bentgrass - Extremely high maintenance (not just the mowing) and you better know your stuff!

turfman99
03-06-2001, 09:34 PM
Golf course fairways ion the north are rye. Mowed at 5/8's in the summer and 3/4 in the summer. Most tees usually rye as well, mowed at about 1/2 inch, lot of super dwarf varities now used.

Bent grass is used on the greens. Usually mowed no higher than 1/4 inch will give you so-so greens quality. Not going to be able to go any higher than 1/2 inch on home lawn. 11 blade reel mower, need to mow at least three times per week, picking up the clippings. Bent grass mowed close will get about 8,000 different diseases and fungus at the drop of a hat. Fungicides usually sprayed every 7 to 10 days without fail. Fertilizers need to be greens grade, small homongeous prill. Bent grass tillers and crawls, so you need to verticut and topdress every three months minimum, more often.

This process does not work well for the home owner. Artifical green anyone??

[Edited by turfman99 on 03-07-2001 at 02:36 AM]

VLM
03-06-2001, 10:00 PM
Most likely this guy has zoysia, he's just confused.

bobbygedd
03-07-2001, 04:22 AM
thanks alot guys

HOMER
03-07-2001, 07:31 AM
Zoysia grows in New Joisy?

More than likely he doesn.t know what he has or he would have given you the name of it.........if he was that educated on his grass types. I wouldn.t assume anything till I got there. You.ll probably find that it was just a native grass but let us know anyway.

Thought Zoysia was a warm season grass. :confused:

SDF250
03-07-2001, 09:28 AM
there are alot of old timers around here have it cause you can't get rid of it "it came from ethels house down the block, she was the first to have it they always say!"

and for some reason they know that it has great low mowing tolerance and so they've been scalping the crap till its brown for years

unless this guy is smackin balls around the yard and wants it short cut it at 3"

so green, so thick and no weeds ever grow in it very low mant. no water no weed and feed nothing

AND I LOVE IT BECOUSE WHEN ALL THE GRASS STOPS GROWING IN THE SUMMER I'M STILL CUTTIN

ZOYSIA ....ZOYSIA

torch it in the spring looks ugly for about 2 weeks but it good free food "just keep a hose handy "

i still have bad dreams about going shore when i was younger with all those flames off rt 72. jersey isn't so cool when on fire

bobbygedd
03-09-2001, 01:10 PM
well, u were all correct, took a drive by today, i will see him tommorow. looks like regular grass to me(perhaps a rye, bluegrass, fescue mix) but it was cut soooooo short, i could see every flaw from the road. looks like he had a bad problem with drought damage and disease last summer too. the rest of the property was flawless, a variety of trees and evergreens sheered and pruned to perfection. if he wants it cut so low, i dont know if i can get an inch from my walkbehind without scalping in some areas, may have to use a 21". im seein him tommorow, ill let u know, thanks again u were all very helpful.

Paradise Yard Service
03-10-2001, 05:43 AM
Its lots of work and even in Hawaii with all the varities and constant good weather. Have to be at it frequently. Reel mowers. HEAVY maintanence fees. Clutches on the chain drive reels go out, bed knives replaced after several reel backlaps/resharpen. Expensive sharpen fees. Get own backlapper. Viking Hydro-Prills needed, army worms attack entire section overnight, intense watering. Mow every few days. Not shade tolerant (Tif Dwarf).

I have only one account that reel cuts 1/2 in. The homeowner supplies the mower (Tru-Cut) I supply the work. Looks great when done right.

Make them pay! Or walk away!

P.Y.S.

John DiMartino
03-10-2001, 08:00 AM
We keep our fairways at 5/8 to 3/4 " all season,that is no big deal,we use a rye blend, you need to be able to frow new grass quickly due to traffic and huge divots taken,rye does both and holds up for us at the low heights.-the bentgrass is tough,on hot muggy days-you can amost see the brown patch grow-lots of fungicides in the heat of the summer,the dreaded pythium can rear its head,gotta act quick on that or your green is gone.spring had leaf spot and all summer dollar spot comes and goes too-it s a never ending battle to keep them nice,oh yeah fall gives you copper spot,leaf spot,take all patch and during the winter you get lots of snow mold if you dont get a couple of good applications down to prevent it.I dont thin cutting with a rotary below 1 1/2" gives a good cut-you really need a reel mower to go much lower.

bobbygedd
03-10-2001, 02:32 PM
well, saw it today up close, major snow mold, also lawn looks like if i take a sharp turn, with my boots it will tear. i think the lawn looks like crap, but i can still price it for cutting, he has a fert company, thank god, i want no part of that one. he also insists it be cut with a 21" mower, i can price that too. for u guys that use a 21' on request, how much extra do u charge for it?

kutnkru
03-10-2001, 03:00 PM
This would depend on if the property has alot of ornamental beds, and if there are numeroyus other obstacles.

If you would normally get $35-35 for a 10m/sf proerty, plan on $50-70 for cutting them with a 21 incher. This service must be more because you will be spending quite a bit more time for you to do.

We have one client who wont allow commercial w/b anymore because the last contractor tore the lawn to shreds by running heavy ride on equipment on his front sloped turf areas. His property is 23/m sf and takes us 3 man hours to complete.

We were charging him $25 a man hour as a discounted rate for other properties included with his home, and this spring he okayed a hike to $85/cut. We will be cutting him 32 times. This price is also for bagging, he doesnt want it dispersed or mulched.

Hope this helps.
Kris

LScom Addict
03-14-2001, 02:18 AM
I would think that as long as you were able to get the amount you are looking to make for each hour that it wouldnt matter how many lawns you cut. This could be 1 or 101. The bottom line is an hours charge is an hours charge.